Director of IT
- Department: IT
DNAnexus is a leading provider of secure, scalable, and intuitive biomedical data analysis software and bioinformatics applications for the life sciences and healthcare communities. The company actively manages and supports more than 80 petabytes of complex genomic, multi-omic, and clinical datasets on behalf of a growing network of collaborations with large-scale biobanks, as well as leading pharmaceutical, clinical diagnostic, academic research, and government organizations. Over 40,000 scientists across 48 countries are now using the highly collaborative, cloud-based, end-to-end platform to gain data-driven insights that can advance scientific discovery, accelerate precision medicine, and improve patient care.
Enterprise Technology is a critical function for DNAnexus. Rapid enablement of our staff, support for remote-friendly collaboration methods, and secure app & data access on the go are all outcomes delivered by our Enterprise Technology (IT) team. As the lead of our Enterprise Technology function, you’ll drive innovation projects delivered by our IT Engineers and you’ll deliver the “last mile” of user experience via our IT Service Desk team.
You’ll recruit, mentor, and retain a team that understands the needs of their business counterparts in Sales, Marketing, Finance, Engineering, Customer Care, and all DNAnexus departments. You’ll build strong partnerships with the leaders of these departments to deliver technology solutions that support our business roadmap.
As a cloud-native SaaS provider, the Enterprise infrastructure and apps built & maintained by your team will also leverage secure, scalable and cost-effective building blocks from our cloud infrastructure partners.
The problems you will solve:
- The internal user experience for staff and contingent workers at DNAnexus is your domain. You’ll relentlessly pursue the improvement of this experience so our internal users can work without disruption and without needing to become experts in the administration of our kit and applications.
- You’ll lead our enterprise technology engineering team to drive innovation in enterprise infrastructure (the way our internal users connect to systems, share data, and collaborate).
- Your team will seek to mature and optimize the way our Applications and Infrastructure are supported, including through the advisory and consultation of business users to consolidate similar applications & applications that duplicate the same functionality.
- As the trusted technology advisor for our business teams, you’ll engage on their projects and pain points to assist DNAnexus with more effective and efficient use of technology. These relationships with our business leaders are critical to the success of your function.
Salary and Other Compensation:
The annual starting salary for this position is between $205,000 – $235,000. Factors which may affect starting pay within this range may include geography/market, skills, education, experience and other qualifications of the successful candidate.
The Company offers the following benefits for this position, subject to applicable eligibility requirements: medical insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, 401(k) retirement plan, life insurance, long-term disability insurance, short-term disability insurance, flexible paid time off, 12 weeks of paid parental leave, and national holidays paid.
- As this role has a heavy focus on internal customers and user experience, prior experience with stakeholder relationship management, customer experience, or a related discipline is desired.
- You will have a deep understanding of enterprise technology including how to run traditional server & workstation environments, the use of cloud services from AWS and Azure, and SaaS applications.
- Your cloud experience should include public/private networking, SD-WAN, device trust, serverless, and database technologies.
- Through your engagement with business teams, you’ll find that their technology needs can be best supported when you understand their processes. Prior business analyst / process development experience will aid you in this role.
- Familiarity with (and ideally a strong preference + passion for) Mac hardware is essential
- A self-starter that can work independently and collaboratively across multiple work streams without technical program management support (in some capacities, you will serve as the TPM for your engineering team).
- Able to earn the respect of the team on the basis of crisp execution, technical depth, hands-on style, and strategic decision making ability.
- Strong presence; good communicator and highly influential both externally as well as internally at the executive level and across the organization.
- Flexible, nimble, and scrappy; startup mentality and willingness/ability to change direction quickly if best for the business.
- Entrepreneurial DNA; not afraid to take calculated risks, brings a mentality of rapid innovation and the desire to attain big goals.
Headquartered in Mountain View, California, with over 220 team members across the United States and Europe, DNAnexus is experiencing rapid growth and market adoption. With the support of leading investors including Google Ventures and Blackstone, and trusted by hundreds of the world's biomedical leaders, the company is at the innovative forefront with our precision health data cloud to drive scientific breakthroughs. If you are interested in joining our team, please apply today!