ASSISTANT GENERAL MANAGER | CERTIFIED PET PROFESSIONAL
- 1750 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC 20006, USA
DC Dog Sitter is a leading provider of professional pet care services in the DC Metro area. Focused on disrupting the status quo and bringing a higher level of care and interaction, we believe in being outside, getting fresh air, swimming, PFA's (Pet-Friendly Adventures), running, playing, and doing hikes. DC Dog Sitter is redefining the pet care industry providing a hands-on, highly interactive, and engaging service that caters to each pet’s unique personality and temperament.
DC Dog Sitter has been named by Washingtonian as Top Pet Professionals + Adventures in the DC Metro Area. Our level of service and team of pet professionals rank among the best in the DMV. Our people possess the perfect combination of professionalism, compassion, and attention to detail. Our overall mission is to enrich the lives of our furry companions by providing care for all stages. Our determination shows through in everything we do from hiring the best, most qualified people, to creating a dynamic work environment where ongoing educational opportunities to further enhance the level of pet care are a top priority.
What makes us special…
Washington, DC is one of the most pet-friendly cities in the nation. Additionally, you are in the hub of activity. Close to the Capitol, the Supreme Court, Library of Congress, and all of the employment, cultural, and entertainment benefits that DC provides. With this in mind, DC Dog Sitter caters to the needs of busy pet parents with demanding careers and lifestyles who desire the very best care and companionship for their furry companions.
Benefits include a base plus commission, earned paid time off, and much more!
DC Dog Sitter is a member of the nation’s leading nonprofit organization of professional pet care services, National Association of Professional Pet Sitters (NAPPS). Additionally, DC Dog Sitter has been awarded best dog walkers and top pet professionals + adventures. Join our mission to Elevate The Care!
The Assistant General Manager is a senior staff position leading the day-to-day operations at DC Dog Sitter. The AGM will be responsible for ensuring the highest level of care and attention to details are delivered in providing effective dog walks, adventures, cat sitting, VIP assignments, boarding, and ensuring pets are lovingly cared for. Reports to Administration through General Manager.
The Assistant General Manager assumes an active role in overseeing a team of twelve to fifteen in delivering excellent pet care services. We pride ourselves on being the 'Four Seasons' to the pet care industry. Reliability and the ability to pay attention to details as well as ensure the highest level of care are an absolute must. The Assistant General Manager will spend the majority of his/her time in the field as well as on a laptop/tablet to help oversee logistics, manage the bottom line, and grow the company. A vehicle is required. She/he is responsible for meeting defined goals and expectations, complying with DCDS policies and procedures, playing a supportive role to the team, and having a great time with each furry friend and assignment.
Location: DC Dog Sitter
Job ID: DCDSAGM
Category: Assistant General Manager, Certified Pet Professional
Job Class: Regular
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $35,000.00 to $55,000.00 /year
- Directly supervise and manage the mid-day adventure and dog walking team of up to twelve, including all day to day logistical, human resource, scheduling and animal-related issues that may occur in the office or in the field
- Take a lead role in the training, continuing education, and performance evaluation of direct reports
- Directly supervise and delegate tasks to a deputy mid-day dog walking shift supervisor
- Serve as the primary point of contact for 150+ daily dog walking customers, leading the response to customer service concerns from clients in a timely and attentive manner via phone, email and/or in-person
- Serve as the “bottom line” staffer for mid-day dog walking to ensure that our services are delivered as promised and agreed
- Together with the deputy, serve as the primary communication hub between DCDS Members and the DCDS Team, taking extra care to keep track of and communicate special requests
- Serve as the primary scheduler for mid-day dog services and overnight boarding and manage weekly dog walking and overnight boarding scheduling requests from customers inclusive of mid-day as well as some morning and evening walks using Google Drive and the proprietary "software” focusing on efficient use of labor resources and generating the greatest profit for the company (Can be delegated after demonstrating understanding and proficiency)
- Serve as the primary services invoice generator, ensuring that our members are billed correctly for the services they’ve requested (Can be delegated after demonstrating understanding and proficiency)
- Together with a deputy, serve as the primary morale officer for the DCDS Team coordinating bi-monthly team building activities
- Serve as a pet quality control officer, ensuring that services are rendered by the team in an ethical, timely manner according to the highest standard of customer service in adherence with company and customer instructions, including doing periodic spot checks in the field
- Take ownership of and maintain inventory, including monthly review
- Continually evaluate dog walking and boarding and customer satisfaction metrics; research alternatives and make changes and improvements to attain peak efficiency and customer satisfaction
- Own and maintain the customer databases to ensure its information is accurate and up to date
- Ensure that our dog walking services are offered in compliance with local pet laws and within the requirements of our insurance policies
- Actively engage new dog walking customers and thoughtfully respond to all new inquiries for dog walking services in a timely manner so as to expand the business footprint as quickly and strategically as possible
- Supervise the cleanliness ensuring spaces are clean, and the highest level of care is achieved
- Maintain budgets and report on progress to the General Manager
- Meet new DCDS Members in their homes to gather the information the company and staff needs to provide quality dog walking services according to the customer’s expectations and instructions
- Serve as the “bottom line” auditor of team updates, team timesheets, invoices, team Uber use, and keys; generate periodic reports of the same to the General Manager
- Work with the general manager and marketing/public relations director to engage in strategic planning to expand the adventure and dog walking business
- Supervise and facilitate the “onboarding” of new dog walking and animal boarding customers from the initial inquiry about our services to the first visit by our staff and set expectations and educate them about company policy including rates, walk timing, and the use of our "software", among others
- Maintain and update existing new hire training and continuing education curriculum
- Occasionally lead continuing education and new hire training classes to improve our standards of service
- Create and maintain performance evaluation standards for dog walking staff
- Assist the owner/general manager in recruiting, hiring, firing and promotion decisions by actively participating in interviews, performance evaluations and termination proceedings
- Supervise in the field animal training and support for staff
- Periodically lead staff meetings
- Serve as the weekend “manager on duty” every third weekend
- Once or twice per year serve as the acting general manager when the general manager is away on vacation, taking responsibility for all the services being delivered on time and in the manner customers expect, inclusive of dog-walking, boarding, grooming and, to a lesser extent, daycare, and pet sitting.
- Bachelor’s Degree is Preferred, Masters is welcome
- 50 to 60 hours per week
- One to Three Years of Experience in the pet professional field
- License/Certification (Specify) or ability to complete our Certification Program (paid by DCDS)
- Be able to pass CPR and first aid certification classes (provided by DCDS)
- Maintain ongoing CEU’s (provided by DCDS)
- Available during core work hours of 9 am to 6 pm
- Be available some holidays, weekends, and evenings
- Have reliable transportation and insurance (vehicle)
- Possess great communication skills and understand the importance of complete and grammatically correct sentences and timely responses
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, including Excel
- Proficiency with Google cloud products: including Google voice, Google Drive, Google Maps, Google calendar and Gmail at a minimum
- Must love dogs and cats!
- Understand that taking care of animals is more than a job. It is a serious commitment and must be treated as such
- Have animal handling experience.
- Comfortable with all types, sizes, and breeds of dogs
- Be comfortable with feline friends
- Have excellent references
- Ability to follow instructions and meet a demanding schedule
- Have the physical ability to walk dogs and play with them
- Have your own mobile/smartphone with the ability to text, email, and send photos
- Be comfortable working outside in the rain, snow, and high and low temperatures
- Live in close proximity to the service area or be willing to commute
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.