- 441 11 Ave SE, Calgary, AB T2G 0Y5, Canada
Curiocity is one of Canada’s most prominent digital publication companies, operating in Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, and internationally with operations in Seattle. With a reach of over 2 million people and monthly content views surpassing 110 million, we combine our established presence as one of the leading digital publishers in Canada with our energy, creativity, and natural curiosity to deliver content and stories that we and our audience love.
The Managing Editor role is a full-time, salaried position. Applicants from Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary, and Edmonton are encouraged to apply, as the role may be performed remotely from home.
The Managing Editor will report to our Chief Executive Officer and work cross-functionally with both our publishing and marketing divisions. This position will be responsible for building Curiocity’s editorial strategy to create highly engaging and relevant content driven to fuel our readership. The Managing Editor will oversee content creation, review and publish all submitted content, and continue to build out our team of freelance and contract talent.
This position requires an experienced editor who has successfully created SEO informed content strategies, managed a team, and executed multi-channel content plans.
- Develop strong understanding of Curiocity’s brand, services, and competitive edge.
- Manage all editorial content on Curiocity’s website from ideation, assigning, scheduling, publication, and reporting.
- Edit and proofread all submitted content from Curiocity writing team prior to publishing and compose original content as required.
- Support the execution of an integrated social media and digital content strategy that maximizes Curiocity’s reader and client experiences.
- Develop eye-catching headlines, ad copy, and select imagery aligned with Curiocity’s established brand voice and visual style.
- Lead in the development of engaging content initiatives driven to grow audience-base.
- Collaborate with Curiocity Management to understand corporate growth objectives.
- Set, communicate, and report on monthly viewership goals.
- Collaborate with Account Managers to review storyboards, scripted video concepts, press releases and other client and corporate documentation.
- Conduct regular analysis of content and competitor performance to ensure website is at forefront of industry and audience trends.
- Compose and assign SEO-optimized digital content including meta-tags, descriptions, titles and landing pages and assess analytic results to inform content strategy.
- Continuously ensure brand consistency in expression, tone, visuals, and key messages across all corporate communications.
- 3 to 5 years’ experience in digital content publishing and editing capacity.
- Post-secondary education in a related field is considered an asset though not required.
- Demonstrated experience managing and leading a team, preferably within a digital media organization.
- Proficient in digital publishing/CMS platforms such as Adobe Creative Suite, WordPress, and technical knowledge of XML/HTML, CSS and responsive design practices.
- Knowledge of SEO fundamentals and experience with.
- Exemplary verbal and written communication skills with sharp eye for detail when editing copy.
- Ability to manage a significant volume of content and quickly pivot between different types of content style.
- Strong time management, interpersonal, communication, and leadership skills
- High level of self-motivation, initiative, and the ability to work independently.
- Possesses a “can do” attitude with proven ability to positively influence others.
- Personal laptop for day to day work requirements.
- Quickly growing company with significant opportunity for career growth.
- Innovative team that encourages (and implements) creative new ideas.
- Exposure to working with many different business units and industries.
- Collaborative and casual work environment.
- Event and lifestyle perks in collaboration with our valued media and business partners.
While we thank all applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.