Director, Government Affairs
- 1201 F St NW, Washington, DC 20004, USA
Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) is a small association that serves some of the world’s biggest brands in the travel industry. With a global reach, we provide a unified voice and are the leading authority of the cruise community. We support policies and practices that foster a safe, secure, healthy and sustainable cruise ship environment and are dedicated to promoting the cruise travel experience.
The Director of Government Affairs is responsible for specific legislative policy areas at the state and federal levels, ensuring that the day-to-day monitoring, management and advocacy on those issues is proactive and successfully advances CLIA member priorities.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Manage legislative and other policy priorities as assigned by the VP or SVP, develop and execute strategies to successfully advocate on issues.
- Ensure effective day-to-day monitoring of assigned legislative issues at the federal and state levels, and CLIA regions outside the U.S., ensuring that CLIA’s Global Legislative Tracker is maintained as current and accurate.
- Provide input on short- and mid-term status of legislative programs.
- Broaden, build and maintain solid relationships on Capitol Hill with key staff positions.
- Leverage staff relationships on Capitol Hill to obtain intelligence on emerging or pending legislative issues, and receive advance notices of Committee or Floor action, amendment lists and legislative language.
- Devise and execute third-party stakeholder engagement strategies to build support for legislative priorities and/or build bridges to important stakeholder communities.
- Plan and execute grassroots programs that engage CLIA members and external industry stakeholders.
- Prepare written briefs on legislation, including bill introductions, Congressional or state-level hearings, mark-ups, and floor consideration.
- Research and analyze the impact of legislation on CLIA members in collaboration, as needed, with CLIA counsel and the Maritime Policy function, resulting in concise and clear written briefs that include strategic recommendations for next steps as warranted.
- Assist with the development of positions and core messages on legislative policy.
- Represent CLIA at meetings on Capitol Hill with legislative staff, and participate in government affairs meetings at other trade associations, providing concise written briefs of key takeaways, outcomes, and opportunities for CLIA.
- Prepare regular updates or action alerts for CLIA members on important state or federal legislative developments.
- Prepare presentations or remarks on government affairs initiatives.
- Engage with other departments in CLIA to leverage cross-functional expertise and coordinate strategic initiatives that advance government affairs and enterprise-level priorities.
- Write articles for internal and external use on advocacy activities, legislative updates .
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree a plus.
- Eight or more years of experience in government affairs and strategic advocacy for a trade association/company or in a legislative policy role on Capitol Hill.
- Grassroots advocacy/political experience a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Solid knowledge of legislative processes and policymaking.
- Knowledge of best practices with lobbying and stakeholder engagement.
- Proven track record of successful legislative advocacy work.
- Experience in the maritime, shipping or travel industries a plus.
- Ability to work collaboratively and build strategic relations with colleagues, coworkers, members, legislators, community leaders, and other stakeholders.
- Ability to effectively communicate complex issues and ideas verbally and in writing so a wide variety of audiences can understand the subject and strategic ideas being conveyed.
- Ability to manage multiple projects while maintaining quality of work and meeting deadlines.
- High degree of proficiency in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, and legislative tracking software.
- Ability to travel up to 20% of the time.
Our casual and fun work environment are just the start of what we can offer you at CLIA. We provide our employees with a competitive total compensation package, including medical, employer paid dental and vision, retirement plan with matching contributions, and an on-site fitness center for your wellness. With an office right at Metro Center, your commute has never been easier.
Embark on a journey with CLIA! To join our talented team, please apply through our job board by submitting your resume and cover letter.
CLIA is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture.