Practice Innovation Analyst
Crowell & Moring LLP is an international law firm with offices in the United States, Europe, MENA, and Asia that represents clients in litigation and arbitration, regulatory and policy, intellectual property, and transactional and corporate matters. The firm is internationally recognized for its representation of Fortune 500 companies in high-stakes litigation and government-facing matters, as well as its ongoing commitment to pro bono service and diversity, equity, and inclusion.
The Practice Innovation Analyst will be part of the Practice Innovation department and will lead the analysis of legal focused solutions that incorporate innovative technology to support the Firm’s practices and clients. The Analyst will work on improving and supporting the delivery of legal services by conceptualizing, designing, prototyping, and building out solutions, by employing low-code/no-code, AI, and related tools. The Innovation Analyst will be a hybrid technologist, employing the skills of a product designer, project manager, consultant, innovation champion, and, on a smaller scale, low-code developer.
- Collaborates with the Firm’s lawyers and clients to conceptualize, design, prototype, and build out innovative technology solutions that achieve stated business objectives and deliver exceptional client service centered on value, cost-effectiveness, efficiency, transparency, and predictability.
- Quickly delivers prototypes of solutions that support the stated business objectives using low-code/no-code, AI, and related tools.
- Actively participates in scoping, prioritization, planning, management, and execution of innovation projects, in collaboration with the Practice Innovation team.
- Formulates change management strategies and establishes processes and documentation to support the successful deployment of technology solutions aligned to this role.
- Documents business, functional, and technical requirement specifications, requirements traceability matrices, use cases (broken out by personas), storyboards, workflow diagrams, process maps, entity relationship diagrams, and data flow diagrams.
- Works with other members of the Practice Innovation team to develop business cases to support the development and/or licensing of legal technology to solve specific business objectives and to measure the actual ROI achieved.
- Monitors the legal innovation landscape, including strategic insights, to gain an understanding of how specific people, processes, and technology can solve legal practice challenges and bolster the business case for innovation initiatives.
- In consultation with external technology providers, develops success criteria and sets guidelines and commitments for Proof of Concept trials of new technology.
- Works closely with the Firm’s IS department to ensure legal technology solutions are developed and/or deployed in compliance with Firm requirements and follow best practices for the management of the Firm’s legal technology and related data.
- Participates in projects as assigned, including requirements gathering, analysis, software/platform selection, design, development, implementation, verification, integration, documentation, enhancements, monitoring, and support.
- Maintains a strong working relationship with other members of the Practice Innovation team, the IS department, the Marketing department, the Library & Research Department, the Pricing & Legal Project Management Department, and other internal partners.
- Develops written and oral communications that clearly explain technical concepts using non-technical language; proven ability to communicate with varying levels within the organization.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required to meet Firm goals and objectives.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Proven track record of figuring out a solution when no clear solution is visible, including by piecing together disparate systems.
- Familiarity with legal technology concepts such as document assembly, robotic process automation, artificial intelligence, machine learning, and predictive coding.
- Experience with relational database management systems (SQL server or Excel).
- Experience in data visualization applications and low-code/no-code languages (e.g. Microsoft Power BI, Tableau, R etc.).
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products.
- Ability to turn ideas into product solutions.
- Understanding of and ability to apply a design thinking approach to problem solving.
- Ability to work effectively, both independently and with others, in a cooperative, enthusiastic, and friendly manner to accomplish position functions and participate in team efforts.
- Strong business analysis skills, the demonstrated ability to exceed client expectations, and strategic thinking acumen. Willing to ask questions where appropriate and guide others when required.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with lawyers and other professionals across the Firm, clients, and service providers, including the ability to clearly articulate technical concepts using non-technical language to varying levels and personas within and outside the Firm.
- Strong organizational and time management skills, priority setting, and problem solving, especially when responding to unanticipated business requirements.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize work to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to provide quality client service to both internal and external contacts. Requires sound judgment with respect to confidential and sensitive information.
- Ability to quickly learn and utilize new software programs and tools.
The position requires a Bachelor’s degree in a related field. An equivalent combination of education and/or experience may be considered in lieu of the degree when the experience has been directly related to the functions of the job, preferably in a law firm, corporate legal department, or other legal services provider environment.
The position requires a minimum of three (3) to five (5) years of increasingly responsible, directly related experience during which knowledge, skills, and abilities applicable to the position were demonstrated. In particular, experience must include business low-code projects, solution design, consulting and/or client-facing roles. Experience with knowledge management and / or legal innovation practices preferred.
Crowell & Moring LLP offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package which includes progressive options such as back up child care, wellness programs, cultural events and social activities. We take great pride in our positive, friendly culture that rewards hard work and success, at the same time recognizing the importance of family and community service.
Crowell & Moring LLP participates in the E-Verify program.