Litigation Docket Administrator
Crowell & Moring LLP is an international law firm with offices in the United States, Europe, MENA, and Asia that represents clients in litigation and arbitration, regulatory and policy, and transactional and corporate matters. The firm is internationally recognized for its representation of Fortune 500 companies in high-stakes litigation and government-facing matters, as well as its ongoing commitment to pro bono service and diversity, equity, and inclusion.
The Litigation Docket Administrator is responsible for a variety of litigation support services primarily in three California offices and, as needed, throughout the firm, including serving as a calendar clerk, filing and retrieval of documents in local, state and federal courts and agencies; retrieval of requested documents from any available jurisdiction; service of papers; docketing and calendaring of legal papers from any C&M office; and responding to questions from attorneys and staff regarding procedural aspects of any of the legal venues the firm may be engaged in.
• Completes all assigned docketing and calendaring work in a timely and accurate manner.
• Reviews litigation documents for relevant dates and effectively using the docketing and calendaring system to index court documents and enter applicable dates.
• Serves and files documents electronically and on paper in area courts and agencies and in other jurisdictions as needed
• Assists Managing Clerk in providing firmwide calendar clerk services
• Utilizes process servers in assigned jurisdictions to effect service of summonses and subpoenas.
• Contributes to practice, department and firm initiatives regarding effective litigation management
• Serves as liaison to state and federal court clerks, judges, agencies, and legal services vendors
• Dockets and calendars legal papers utilizing the firm-wide calendaring system, CompuLaw, and maintains and distributes litigation calendars
• Monitors changes to California state and federal litigation procedures, summarizing and communicating these to the California offices as appropriate
• Advises attorneys when requested regarding litigation procedures, the form and timing of pleadings and motions in California state and federal courts utilizing a combination of published court rules, individual judges’ procedures, telephone calls and personal visits to appropriate court clerks
• Maintains database of California attorney electronic filing identification codes and passwords
Bachelor’s degree is preferred. Equivalent training and experience may substitute for education.
The position requires a minimum of five (5) years of directly relevant experience providing litigation docketing services and support, preferably in AmLaw 100 law firm with offices in California.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Strong working knowledge of California Civil Practice Law and Rules, the Federal Rules of Civil and Appellate Procedure and ability to navigate other bodies of rules and procedures as needed
• Demonstrated advanced knowledge of CompuLaw
• Strong familiarity with California courts, locations and general procedures.
• Good working knowledge of state and federal databases including PACER, and government agency websites as well as advanced ability to use internet resources as a research tool
• Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing
• Ability to provide quality client service to both internal and external contacts
• Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize work to meet deadlines and daily requirements
• Demonstrated problem-solving skill and ability to serve as advisor to attorneys and staff
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively both independently and with others in a cooperative, enthusiastic and friendly manner to accomplish position functions and participate in team efforts
• Follow instructions effectively from a diverse group of clients, lawyers and staff
Crowell & Moring LLP offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package which includes progressive options such as back up child care, wellness programs, cultural events and social activities. We take great pride in our positive, friendly culture that rewards hard work and success, at the same time recognizing the importance of family and community service.
Our Firm is committed to fair and equitable compensation practice in accordance with applicable laws. The salary range for this position is $57,900-$79,400. Additional compensation may include a discretionary bonus. Other benefits include healthcare, vision, dental, retirement, and all-purpose leave. The salary for this position may vary based on location, market data, an applicant’s skills and prior experience, certain degrees and certifications, and other factors.
Crowell & Moring LLP participates in the E-Verify program.