Senior Total Rewards (Compensation and Benefits) Manager
Crowell & Moring LLP is an international law firm with offices in the United States, Europe, MENA, and Asia that represents clients in litigation and arbitration, regulatory and policy, and transactional and corporate matters. The firm is internationally recognized for its representation of Fortune 500 companies in high-stakes litigation and government-facing matters, as well as its ongoing commitment to pro bono service and diversity, equity, and inclusion.
The Senior Total Rewards (Compensation and Benefits) Manager is responsible for the management and administrative oversight of the firm’s benefit, well-being, and staff compensation programs including policies and practices. The incumbent will partner with key stakeholders to align total rewards with business objectives, ensuring programs are competitive and attract, motivate, and retain high performing talent.
Our Firm is committed to fair and equitable compensation practice in accordance with applicable laws. The salary range for this position is $133,300-$195,000. Additional compensation may include a discretionary bonus. Other benefits include healthcare, vision, dental, retirement, and all-purpose leave. The salary for this position may vary based on location, market data, an applicant’s skills and prior experience, certain degrees and certifications, and other factors.
- Provides expertise in compensation program design and strategy, performing analysis and modeling to support recommendations.
- Administers the firm’s staff compensation programs including base pay bonus, and spot bonus programs.
- Prepares market analyses, and develops compelling salary offers for all staff positions in accordance with firm policies and government regulations.
- Ensures the consistent application of the firm’s pay philosophy, while responding to market pressures and competitiveness to attract and retain high performing talent.
- Manages compensation for the two annual employee evaluation cycles (globally) ensuring proper allocation of rewards, internal equity, and market competitiveness.
- Participates in local and national, industry and non-industry surveys in applicable areas of responsibility. Analyzes data, market trends and competitive practices, and proposes recommendations for modification to ensure programs and processes are competitive and compliant.
- Reviews and maintains job descriptions, evaluating job content, determining salary grades, FLSA exemptions, and organizational structure within HRIS.
- Acts as a subject matter expert on all issues relating to benefits administration, providing interpretation of benefit policies and providing guidance in administering procedures.
- Researches complex benefits administration problems and recommends resolutions based on plan interpretation and impact on administration.
- Ensures benefit plan compliance with local, state and federal regulations including periodic review of plan documents, auditing, preparing required compliance reporting, and disseminating required employee notices.
- Establishes and maintains strong partnerships with vendors and brokers. Manages performance standards to ensure the firm’s administrative needs are being met.
- Maintains and distributes utilization and cost summary reports for management on all benefit plans.
- Leads the annual open enrollment process, development and dissemination of benefits communications, and scheduling of on-site benefits information sessions.
- Manages the firm’s well-being program through frequent monitoring of participation and results. Develops and modifies strategy, communications, and activities to meet the established goals of the firm, well-being committee and needs of participants.
- Develops, monitors and manages benefits and well-being budget including completing monthly variance reports and approving all applicable invoices.
- Oversees system design, development and administration of Human Resources related software and databases in the areas of responsibility. Ensures efficiency and data integrity through consistent monitoring, testing and auditing.
The position requires a Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources or directly related field. Equivalent training and experience may substitute for education.
The position requires a minimum of six (6) years of increasingly responsible, directly related experience that included direct supervision of others on a regular basis. Experience with complex Human Resources Management systems required. Demonstrated proficiency in laws and regulations governing benefits including Affordable Care Act, ERISA, HIPAA, IRS regulations, Section 125 and COBRA. Demonstrated proficiency in laws and regulations governing compensation including FLSA and Title VII.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to communicate persuasively, both orally and in writing, on a prepared and extemporaneous basis with attorneys, staff and external contacts.
- Ability to provide quality client service to both internal and external contacts. Requires patience, creativity and discretion.
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities and appropriately delegate work to others to meet deadlines, goals and objectives, develop skills and knowledge of others, build capacity and productivity of department.
- Ability to effectively supervise others, including hiring, training, assigning work, managing performance, counseling, and disciplining.
- Ability to analyze and interpret information from a variety of sources, apply critical and creative thinking to draw conclusions, and develop solutions to complex problems.
- Knowledge of standard accounting and/or budgeting principles and the ability to monitor and manage budgets within established limits, analyze financial data and draw accurate conclusions.
- Advanced technical skills including knowledge of MS suite with advanced skills in Excel/data manipulation.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
Crowell & Moring LLP offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package which includes progressive options such as back up child care, wellness programs, cultural events and social activities. We take great pride in our positive, friendly culture that rewards hard work and success, at the same time recognizing the importance of family and community service.
Crowell & Moring LLP participates in the E-Verify program.