Associate Director, Global Ethics and Business Integrity (Health and Life Sciences)
Crowell & Moring International LLC (C&M International or CMI) is a global government relations, public policy, and public affairs consulting firm that helps clients shape the international regulatory landscape to support innovation, sustainable growth, and commercial competitiveness. CMI is based in Washington, DC with regional offices in Singapore and Hong Kong.
Our clients span from major multinational companies to next wave startups, and include global industry associations, governments, and international organizations. The CMI team is acknowledged as experts in crafting unique public policy initiatives in partnership with industry associations, academics, NGOs, and other stakeholders. The firm leverages its network of key government officials and senior business executives to help shape innovative policies and manage the emerging issues that will define sustainable economic growth.
When issues demand it, we also bring to bear the resources and expertise of our attorney colleagues within our parent organization, Crowell & Moring LLP (C&M), an international law firm with offices in the United States, Europe, MENA, and Asia that represents clients in litigation and arbitration, regulatory and policy, and transactional and corporate matters. The firm is internationally recognized for its representation of Fortune 500 companies in high-stakes litigation and government-facing matters, as well as its ongoing commitment to pro bono service and diversity, equity, and inclusion.
For more information, please visit www.cmintl.com.
The Associate Director, Global Ethics and Business Integrity (Health and Life Sciences) will join Crowell & Moring International’s (CMI) expanding and highly collaborative global ethics and business integrity team. This position is based in CMI’s office in Washington, DC or in one of the U.S. offices of our affiliate law firm Crowell & Moring LLP (C&M) in New York, Chicago, Indianapolis, Denver, San Francisco, Los Angeles or Orange County, California. The position may be partially remote for the right candidate.
The position provides a highly unique consulting opportunity to guide leading health industries and organizations in the design and implementation of ethical business practices that are essential in upholding patient trust, attracting investment, protecting shareholder value, and securing a level playing field around the world.
Those interested in this opportunity should open the team link and review the two-page summary before applying.
The Associate Director will be responsible for serving several client accounts and producing diverse work products for top executives and collaborating partners. The Associate Director will also be responsible for establishing and nurturing relationships through prioritizing trust and an unwavering commitment to quality, creativity, and agility. The position reports to the Senior Director who leads a growing program for global ethics and business integrity within CMI. The program is positioned for significant expansion to meet current and future client needs.
• Takes full responsibility for and exhibits mastery when crafting written work products and presenting advice. Diverse knowledge of content creation and delivery platforms is a plus.
• Regularly and independently communicates advice and solutions. Able to handle high-stakes and/or impromptu verbal communications effectively, including with large audiences, while instilling confidence in their ability to advocate interests persuasively and effectively.
Research, Analysis, and Judgement:
• Operates autonomously, critically evaluates the analyses of others, finalizes their own advice, and demonstrates practical problem-solving. Able to execute effective strategies and draw on knowledge of client and partner goals in order to achieve their objectives.
• Swiftly and comprehensively considers options, secures crucial input, and makes decisions that move matters forward while helping others look ahead and understand consequences.
• Makes preliminary decisions and recommendations on challenging issues, engaging with the Senior Director on decisions and recommendations with broader implications for the team.
• Collaborates with colleagues, clients, and partners in the pursuit of innovative solutions that enhance value and differentiates our team.
Workload Management, Supervision, and Teamwork:
• Effectively manages a portfolio of several relationships and workstreams focused on global ethics and business integrity in health and life sciences.
• Manages personal workload efficiently and coordinates the workloads of others to deliver timely products of the highest quality. Takes responsibility for significant client matters, including the marshalling of all levels of resources in the production of high-quality work.
• Encourages and empowers colleagues to maximize their contributions while creating an environment where people feel motivated and included. Pessimists and those easily daunted by complex or unexpected barriers should avoid this role.
• Maintain account budgets, invoicing, and other expenses, as necessary.
Business and Professional Development:
• Active contributor to the rapid growth of global ethics and business integrity work, supporting colleagues in conceptualizing discrete and team-wide opportunities.
• Develop, present, and execute business plans that include client and non-client work.
• Integral member of client teams that receives and makes direct client calls. Able to identify and anticipate client needs for our services while always looking for opportunities to collaborate with colleagues and partners outside CMI.
• Independently interacts with current and prospective clients and collaborating partners during and outside of work.
• Pursues thought leadership and profile building opportunities for themselves and colleagues within the ethics and business integrity field, such as publications, speaking opportunities or involvement in industry, professional, or civic groups.
Ethics and Citizenship:
• Consistently upholds the high-standard values and norms we promote in our daily work, including integrity, respect, transparency, and accountability. In so doing, prioritizes trust and confidence among clients, colleagues, and collaborators. Respects confidentiality and is alert to situations where personal and/or company interests are or might be in conflict.
• Pursues increased leadership, mentoring and professional responsibilities and performs them effectively. Is viewed as a trusted advisor by stakeholders inside and outside the firm.
• Visible in cross-selling opportunities between Crowell & Moring LLP and CMI as well as other firm initiatives. Dedicated to pursuing collaborative opportunities and sharing credit.
• Builds and maintains a role in firm community service, recruiting and diversity initiatives.
• An advanced degree in business, health, data science, bioethics, biology, international relations, public policy, compliance, law, philosophy or a related field is desired.
• The position requires a Bachelor’s Degree and a demonstratable commitment to continuous skills building since this degree was obtained.
• The individual selected to this position may have the opportunity to pursue routine training opportunities in the field paid for by CMI.
• The position requires five (5) or more years of increasingly responsible, directly related experience during which the aforementioned knowledge, skills and abilities applicable to the position were demonstrated.
• Experience working in an international and diverse environment, interest in international issues and a willingness to undertake periodic U.S. domestic and international travel (estimated at 10-15%).
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Understands and believes in the importance of values and norms in business and society.
• Strong knowledge of current and emerging ethics and business integrity issues confronting global and national healthcare ecosystems as well as individual health-related organizations, from preventing corruption and inappropriate conduct to emerging areas in technology ethics, bioethics, and sustainability.
• Futurist at heart and in daily practice, with an inherent ability to glean around the corner and assess risks and opportunities amidst current uncertainty to inform leaders’ decision-making.
• Can see connections between issues, people, places, and organizations that most cannot.
• Orchestrator and convener, who can align the interest and motivations of diverse parties and bring them together to create and sustain outcomes that have never been achieved before.
• Full professional or native proficiency of English required. Professional working proficiency, full professional proficiency, or native proficiency of additional languages is a plus.
Crowell & Moring International offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package which includes progressive options such as back up child care, wellness programs, cultural events and social activities. We take great pride in our positive, friendly culture that rewards hard work and success, at the same time recognizing the importance of family and community service.
Crowell & Moring LLP and Crowell & Moring International participates in the E-Verify program.