Crowell & Moring LLP is an international law firm with offices in the United States, Europe, MENA, and Asia that represents clients in litigation and arbitration, regulatory and policy, and transactional and corporate matters. The firm is internationally recognized for its representation of Fortune 500 companies in high-stakes litigation and government-facing matters, as well as its ongoing commitment to pro bono service and diversity, equity, and inclusion.
The Billing Coordinator performs and manages complex billing arrangements for assigned attorneys or specific clients. The Coordinator ensures that alternative fee arrangements (AFAs) assigned are billed in agreement with client engagement letters and billing attorneys are provided requisite billing analysis.
Workweek Schedule: Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Our Firm is committed to fair and equitable compensation practice in accordance with applicable laws. The salary range for this position is $64,600 – $80,800. Additional compensation may include a discretionary bonus. Other benefits include healthcare, vision, dental, retirement, and all-purpose leave. The salary for this position may vary based on location, market data, an applicant’s skills and prior experience, certain degrees and certifications, and other factors.
• Ensures complex client invoices are prepared in compliance with firm policy, specific AFA’s, and client billing guidelines and regulations. Identifies billing issues and resolves as appropriate.
• Prepares standard and ad hoc reports utilizing Excel, Elite and other reporting tools to keep involved parties up-to-date regarding billing aspects of assigned contracts. Prepares monthly reconciliation of all accounts.
• Analyzes unbilled and receivables monthly and ensures timely resolution of outstanding amounts. Reviews, audits invoices for accuracy, posts and mails final invoices prepared by billing attorneys
• Provides quality client services to both in-house and external contacts, developing close professional working relationships that reflect the firm’s commitment to excellence. Involves clarification and refinement of invoice processes and individual invoices, resolution of discrepancies, system issues and other problems. Updates client information in the Elite master billing files; researches and responds to inquiries relating to client charges.
• Performs “transfer” and “divide” functions, balances and reprints proformas at billing attorney’s request within one to two business days of receipt.
• Assists the Ebilling Coordinator with the initial set-up and subsequent maintenance of electronic invoicing with third party vendors for assigned clients. Serves as liaison between e-billing vendors, attorney, and client contacts regarding new timekeepers, matters and billing rates.
• Submits electronic invoices, monitors and tracks progress from billing to prepares monthly reconciliation of all electronically billed accounts.
• Follows up with billing attorneys who manage matters with noncurrent unbilled time and costs in accordance with the firm’s billing policy.
• Documents billing process and updates documentation for procedures related to special client billing arrangements.
• Provides billing compliance training recommendations and feedback to billing management to improve end-to-end billing process.
• Assists professional staff and attorneys with the firm’s billing procedures using Elite accounting software Performs ad hoc analysis and research as requested.
• Participates in special projects as required.
The position requires a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Computer Science or a related field. Equivalent training and experience may substitute for education.
The position requires a minimum of three (3) years of increasingly responsible, directly related billing/accounting experience during which the knowledge, skills, and abilities applicable to the position were demonstrated.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Demonstrated advanced knowledge of Elite or other similar accounting system with the ability to instruct others in its use.
• Demonstrated intermediate knowledge of major eBilling vendors, such as CounselLink, Tymetrix 360, Legal Tracker (Serengeti), with the ability to research and resolve ebilling issues,
• Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize a heavy workload in a dynamic and complex environment to meet deadlines and daily requirements.
• Demonstrated ability to perform work that is non-standard, requiring analysis, interpretation and creative problem solving within an accounting environment.
• Demonstrated intermediate knowledge of MS Excel to produce quality reports and spreadsheets; working knowledge of SQL desired.
• Knowledge of standard accounting and finance principles, including the ability to track, organize, analyze, reconcile and report financial data in an accurate and clear manner.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing
• Demonstrated ability to provide quality client service to both internal and external contacts, regarding financial matters of a complex nature. Requires creativity, patience and discretion.
Crowell & Moring LLP offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package which includes progressive options such as back up child care, wellness programs, cultural events and social activities. We take great pride in our positive, friendly culture that rewards hard work and success, at the same time recognizing the importance of family and community service.
Crowell & Moring LLP participates in the E-Verify program.