Practice Group Manager-Antitrust
Crowell & Moring LLP is an international law firm with offices in the United States, Europe, MENA, and Asia that represents clients in litigation and arbitration, regulatory and policy, and transactional and corporate matters. The firm is internationally recognized for its representation of Fortune 500 companies in high-stakes litigation and government-facing matters, as well as its ongoing commitment to pro bono service and diversity, equity, and inclusion.
For the health and safety of the workforce, Crowell & Moring LLP is requiring that all prospective employees present proof that they are fully-vaccinated and—if eligible—boosted against COVID-19, or seek a reasonable accommodation for religious or medical reasons, prior to their first day of employment. Prospective employees who are fully-vaccinated but not yet eligible for a booster shot will be required to obtain a booster within one week of eligibility as a condition of continued employment. “Crowell & Moring LLP is an equal opportunity employer. Crowell & Moring LLP will engage in the interactive process with candidates who are unable to be vaccinated and/or boosted due to a sincerely held religious belief or medical reasons and explore what, if any, reasonable accommodations Crowell & Moring is able to offer.”
The Practice Group Manager is responsible for the daily execution of business needs and operations of the assigned practice groups with a strong emphasis on its strategy, work allocation, financial performance, and lawyer productivity and development. The Practice Manager will liaise with the Department Practice Director and Practice Group Leaders (“PGLs”) and will work with other firm legal and administrative teams to support the Department’s and practice groups’ goals associated with financial performance; pricing and project management; growth; talent development; diversity, equity and inclusion; human resources; technology and innovation; and other strategic areas of focus.
The incumbent will work closely with the Talent & Inclusion (“T&I”) team, and liaise with the business development professionals supporting the assigned practice groups to provide well-coordinated and strategically-aligned support.
Financial and Practice Reporting
- Work with the Department Practice Director, the practice groups’ Finance Partners, and the Finance Department, to develop and monitor financial reports for the practice group(s). Collaborate with the finance team to make refinements and streamline monthly reporting.
- Review monthly financial reports with the Department Practice Director, PGLs, and Finance Partners and identify trends/developments that require attention and action.
- Monitor financial and other performance metrics of the assigned practice groups, including with regard to revenue, utilization, realization, and productivity. Advise on steps to improve and achieve identified financial objectives.
- Participate in discussions regarding annual rate setting together with members of the Finance Department, the Finance Committee and the practices’ PGLs and Finance Partners.
Pricing and Project Management
- Collaborate with the Pricing and LPM teams, to monitor pricing, alternative fee arrangements, budget, and discounts for matters within the assigned practice groups with the objective of improving realization and driving profitability.
- Meet on a regular cadence with the practice groups’ Finance Partners, together with a member of the Finance Department, to identify and address performance issues and develop/share best practices.
- Escalate issues of concern to the Department Practice Director, the practices’ Finance Partners, and PGL(s) for the assigned practices.
Business Planning and Budgeting
- As part of the annual business planning process, work with the PGL(s), Department leadership, and the assigned groups’ business development professionals to establish goals and objectives for the assigned practices for the coming year.
Recruiting, Integration and Promotion
- Liaise with the recruiting team (Strategic Growth Committee, partner recruiting team and associate/counsel recruiting team) to execute on approved growth initiatives for the assigned practice groups.
- Collaborate with the assigned business development professionals to support the integration of new lawyers into the practice group(s) and broader firm. Work with the Professional Development (“PD”) team and T&I Partners to ensure that a robust plan exists to integrate lateral associates and counsel and first‑year associates into their respective practice groups.
- Support the PGLs with regard to the annual partner/counsel promotion process.
Lawyer Professional Development and Staffing
- Work with the PD team and the assigned practice groups’ T&I Partner(s) to coordinate the annual evaluation and Group Consensus Messaging process for the associates and counsel.
- Collaborate with the assigned practice groups’ staffing partners and T&I Partners to identify appropriate lawyers to staff the groups’ most significant client matters. This will include working with staffing partners and practice managers across the firm to identify the best team to handle the matter(s).
- Liaise with the T&I Partners and team to ensure that appropriate training is developed and delivered to lawyers in the practice groups.
- Monitor and support the morale and engagement of attorneys in the practices, developing programs and ensuring access to information, resources, and leadership.
- Encourage that mentoring and sponsorship relationships are available to all members of the assigned practice groups.
Diversity & Inclusion
- Work with the T&I Partner(s) to develop and implement professional development plans for diverse associates and counsel.
- Ensure diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging are essential parts of all department and practice group functions.
- Monitor attorney utilization and work assignments, business development, and other professional opportunities to ensure that they are equitably distributed with the practices.
Technology and Innovation
- Liaise with the Senior Director, Innovation and Client Value, and the IT team where appropriate, on knowledge management, innovation and client value initiatives for the practices. Work with lawyers within the practices to ensure robust execution of agreed to initiatives.
- Provide operational support to the PGLs.
- Assist in coordinating and planning practice group meetings; leverage the administrative resource assigned to the practice(s) to handle all relevant administrative tasks, including scheduling, issuance of calendar appointments and other similar tasks.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated knowledge and expertise in the business functions of a law firm including finance, accounting and analysis.
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate issues and develop solutions, recommendations and implement effective courses of action.
- Demonstrated ability to handle sensitive and confidential situations using tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to communicate both verbally and in writing complex information and ideas effectively to all levels of personnel and management.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively in a global matrixed organization in roles that require influencing change and building consensus.
- Proven ability to delegate effectively and manage projects and tasks to completion in an efficient, collaborative and timely manner.
- Demonstrated ability to develop relationships of trust and confidence with peers, subordinates and leaders.
- Knowledge of basic accounting and/or budgeting principles and the ability to track, organize, analyze and report financial data in a clear manner.
The position requires a Bachelor’s Degree. A J.D. or MBA is preferred.
The position requires a minimum of five (5) years of relevant experience with a record of achievement and increasing responsibility.
Direct experience in a law firm or professional services environment preferred.
Crowell & Moring LLP offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package which includes progressive options such as back up child care, wellness programs, cultural events and social activities. We take great pride in our positive, friendly culture that rewards hard work and success, at the same time recognizing the importance of family and community service.
Crowell & Moring LLP participates in the E-Verify program.