Senior Department Practice Manager
- 590 Madison Ave, New York, NY 10022, USA
Crowell & Moring LLP is an international law firm with offices in the United States, Europe, MENA, and Asia that represents clients in litigation and arbitration, regulatory and policy, and transactional and corporate matters. The firm is internationally recognized for its representation of Fortune 500 companies in high-stakes litigation and government-facing matters, as well as its ongoing commitment to pro bono service and diversity, equity, and inclusion.
The Senior Department Practice Manager is responsible for the daily execution of business needs and operations of the department with a strong emphasis on its strategy, work allocation, financial performance, and lawyer productivity and development. The Practice Manager will liaise with the Practice Group Leaders in the Department and will work with other firm legal and administrative teams to support the Department’s goals associated with financial performance; pricing and project management; growth; talent development; diversity, equity & inclusion; human resources; technology and innovation; and other strategic areas of focus.
The incumbent will work closely with the Business Development Director, as well as other Department business development professionals, to provide well-coordinated and strategically-aligned support.
Financial and Practice Reporting
• Work with the Department Chair, members of the Executive and Finance Committees, and the finance team to develop financial reports for the Department. Collaborate with the finance team to make refinements and streamline monthly reporting.
• Review monthly financial reports with the Department Chair, Practice Group Leaders and Finance Partners and identify trends/developments that require attention and action.
• Monitor financial and other performance metrics of the practice groups within the Department, including with regard to revenue, utilization, realization, and productivity, and against annual goals. Advise on steps to improve and achieve identified financial objectives.
• Coordinate quarterly practice group leader discussions with the Department Chair to discuss financial performance, among other topics.
• Work with the finance team to prepare for and hold annual rate setting conversations with the Department Chair, Practice Group Leaders and Finance Partners.
Pricing and Project Management
• Collaborate with the pricing and legal project management teams to monitor pricing and alternative fee arrangements for matters within the Department with the objective of improving realization and driving profitability.
• Meet on a regular cadence with the practice group Finance Partners, together with a member of the finance team, to identify and address performance issues and develop/share best practices.
• Escalate issues of concern to the Department Chair.
Business Planning and Budgeting
• As part of the annual business planning process, work with the Department Chair and the Business Development Director to establish goals and objectives for the Department for the coming year.
• Work with the Business Development Director to drive and support the annual business planning and budgeting process, including facilitating review with the Department Chair of all of the proposed practice group plans and budgets.
Recruiting, Integration and Promotion
• Liaise with the recruiting team (Strategic Growth Committee, partner recruiting team and associate/counsel recruiting team) to execute on approved growth initiatives for the Department.
• Collaborate with the Business Development Director supporting the Department and the Senior Director, Business Development, to support integration of lateral partners.
• Work with the Talent & Inclusion team and Talent & Inclusion Partners to ensure that a robust plan exists to integrate lateral associates and counsel and first year associates into their respective practice groups within the Department.
• Support the Department Chair with regard to the annual partner/counsel promotion process and the solicitation and consideration of recommendations made by the Practice Group Leaders in the Department.
Lawyer Professional Development and Staffing
• Work with the Talent & Inclusion team and the Talent & Inclusion Partner for each practice group to coordinate the annual Group Consensus Messaging process for the associates and counsel in the Department.
• Support the Department Chairs to identify appropriate lawyers to staff the most significant client matters within the Department. This will include working with staffing partners and practice managers in other Departments to ensure broad visibility of lawyers across the firm who meet the requirements of the client and matter.
• Liaise with the Talent & Inclusion Partners and the Talent & Inclusion team to ensure that appropriate training is developed and delivered to lawyers in the Department.
Technology and Innovation
• Liaise with the Senior Director, Innovation and Client Value, and the IT team, on knowledge management, innovation and client value initiatives for the Department.
• Provide operational support to the Department Chair;
• Assist in coordinating and planning Department meetings;
• Collaborate with the Department’s Business Development Director on the development of agendas for department meetings, as well as to ensure that practice group meetings reflect Department goals and current initiatives;
• Collaborate and coordinate with the practice managers supporting other Departments.
The position requires a Bachelor’s Degree.
The position requires a minimum of ten (10) years of relevant experience with a record of achievement and increasing responsibility.
Law firm experience highly preferred.
Familiarity with the corporate/transactional practice area in the legal service vertical is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Demonstrated knowledge and expertise in the business functions of a law firm including finance, accounting and analysis.
• Demonstrated ability to anticipate issues and identify alternatives, recommendations and implement effective courses of action.
• Demonstrated ability to handle sensitive and confidential situations using tact and diplomacy.
• Ability to communicate both verbally and in writing complex information and ideas effectively to all levels of personnel and management.
• Demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively in a global matrixed organization in roles that require influencing change without authority while securing buy-in and engagement of senior management.
• Proven ability to delegate effectively and manage projects and tasks to completion in an efficient, collaborative and timely manner
• Demonstrated ability to develop relationships of trust and confidence with peers, subordinates and leaders.
• Knowledge of basic accounting and/or budgeting principles and the ability to track, organize, analyze and report financial data in a clear manner.
Crowell & Moring LLP offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package which includes progressive options such as back up child care, wellness programs, cultural events and social activities. We take great pride in our positive, friendly culture that rewards hard work and success, at the same time recognizing the importance of family and community service.
Crowell & Moring LLP participates in the E-Verify program.