- 515 Flower St, Los Angeles, CA 90071, USA
Crowell & Moring LLP is an international law firm with offices in the United States, Europe, MENA, and Asia that represents clients in litigation and arbitration, regulatory and policy, and transactional and corporate matters. The firm is internationally recognized for its representation of Fortune 500 companies in high-stakes litigation and government-facing matters, as well as its ongoing commitment to pro bono service and diversity, equity, and inclusion.
This is a part-time position
Scheduled hours per week: 22.5 hours
The Office Administrator manages the day-to-day operations of the office in a manner that provides for the effective and efficient delivery of a wide variety of administrative and support services for attorneys, staff and external clients.
• Manages a variety of support functions to include support services, facilities, operations, accounting/billing, records, practice support, and IS, providing quality services to the attorneys and other departments at the local firm office.
• Coordinates services of support functions to realize maximum efficiency while meeting the high level of client service expected at the firm.
• Supervises directly, or through subordinate supervisors, the local office support staff. This includes the hiring, training, review and approval of employee hours and vacation requests, performance management, counseling and termination of the staff.
• Works closely with Human Resources towards streamlining benefits, wellbeing, management training, and various other initiatives simultaneously with all offices.
• Provides leadership, guidance, support, and direction to all employees including the promotion of positive work habits, clear and open communication, and teamwork.
• Prepares, manages and monitors the budget for local office support functions, adopting best practices to ensure proper stewardship of the firm’s resources. Develops annual budget proposal, approves expenditures, prepares regular reports to management and manages the procurement of major items.
• Selects local service providers, negotiating contract terms and maintaining effective working relationships with vendors.
• Develops short and long term strategic plans related to the local office support departments. Works with local Administrative Partner and local partners on local, national, and firm-wide initiatives.
• Works with chiefs, directors and managers to ensure that firm-wide programs are properly implemented, maintained and controlled at a level of service and support consistent with all US and International offices.
• Administers and implements firm and local office policies and procedures in a fair and consistent manner.
• Administers and implements firm and local office life safety and business continuity policies and procedures and manages life safety wardens and crisis management activities.
• Remains knowledgeable of workplace trends to ensure the local office provides a safe, productive and positive work environment. Communicates with entire office in a timely manner regarding policy changes and new developments.
• Coordinates space and resource requirements for the local office. Manages lease agreements, determines space usage, plans and executes moves to create an optimal work environment.
• Initiates and manages activities to promote a more cohesive work environment such as the LA Life Committee, holiday parties, fundraising and/or community service opportunities, etc.
The position requires a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration or a related field. Equivalent training and experience may substitute for education.
The position requires a minimum of seven (7) years of increasingly responsible and directly related office management experience that included direct supervision of others, budget administration, and management of multiple office support functions. Law firm experience is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Basic knowledge of current local and national labor and employment laws including generally accepted human resource practices, guidelines and legal requirements
• Demonstrated ability to take charge and make decisions while maintaining a teamwork environment.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively supervise others, including hiring, training, assigning work, managing performance, counseling, and disciplining. Ability to lead others in the development of a cohesive, effective work unit.
• Ability to adapt to changing priorities and maintain a productive and committed work effort, meeting deadlines and managing workload.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and persuasively, both orally and in writing, on a prepared and extemporaneous basis with attorneys, management, staff and outside parties.
• Knowledge of basic accounting/finance and budgeting principles and the ability to monitor and manage budgets within established limits, analyze and report financial data and develop and present proposals.
• Knowledge of basic accounting and/or budgeting principles and the ability to track, organize, analyze and report financial data in a clear manner.
• Demonstrated ability to provide quality client service to both internal and external contacts regarding administrative matters of a complex nature. Requires patience, creativity, discretion and the ability to negotiate and persuade.
• Intermediate knowledge of MS Suite to prepare a variety of business communications. Basic knowledge of current trends in office technology tools to optimize productivity.
• May require the ability to safely lift, move and carry items weighing up to 25 lbs.
Crowell & Moring LLP offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package which includes progressive options such as back up child care, wellness programs, cultural events and social activities. We take great pride in our positive, friendly culture that rewards hard work and success, at the same time recognizing the importance of family and community service.
Crowell & Moring LLP participates in the E-Verify program.