Manager, Business Development
- 590 Madison Ave, New York, NY 10022, USA
Crowell & Moring LLP is an international law firm with offices in the United States, Europe, MENA, and Asia that represents clients in litigation and arbitration, regulatory and policy, and transactional and corporate matters. The firm is internationally recognized for its representation of Fortune 500 companies in high-stakes litigation and government-facing matters, as well as its ongoing commitment to pro bono service and diversity, equity, and inclusion.
The Manager, Business Development works with and supports assigned practice group(s), along with some cross-practice, industry-focused working groups. This position will support the Healthcare and Privacy & Cyber Security Groups. The manager leads group business development initiatives, supports and coordinates marketing efforts. The Manager will report to a Director, Development & Management.
This position will also work closely with other members of the PGBD&M, Marketing & Communications, and Client Development teams to ensure their initiatives support firm priorities and help drive overall firm strategy.
Primary Areas of Responsibility:
Business Development and Marketing
• Partners with practice and working group leaders and assigned Director to develop and implement strategic plans.
• Engages with practice groups and attorneys to understand the legal and business needs of clients and the corresponding legal solutions the firm provides to them. Through practice group “fluency,” contributes business development advice and guidance that demonstrates a sound understanding of the work the group and lawyers do.
• Drives business development goals of assigned groups; includes support in generating business leads and opportunities, expanding existing client matters, and identifying and pursuing cross-selling opportunities.
• Develops pitches and proposals, including firm responses to formal RFPs.
• In collaboration with Research Services, digests and delivers meaningful research on existing and prospective clients, competitor activity, and industry or market trends to inform and support business development opportunities, strategies, and decisions.
• Develops compelling marketing collateral, website descriptions, and other client facing materials; ensures materials are regularly updated.
• Supports firm-wide efforts related to the knowledge management of pitches, proposals, and opportunities for their assigned groups.
• Maintains matters/experience lists and databases for assigned groups.
• Supports opportunities to increase brand awareness and profile for assigned practice areas, including outward facing activities such as sponsored events, in-house presentations, professional speaking opportunities and articles and other publications. • Works with events team to plan and support group events.
• Supports, monitors and reports on the progress of on-going business development efforts and initiatives for assigned groups.
• Works with individual lawyers and advises on business development best practices and strategies to assist in developing their practices.
• Supports attorneys with, and supervises PG Coordinators handling the logistics of, client alerts, blogs, and newsletters.
• Oversees the timely preparation and submission of the Chambers, Law360 and other ranking submissions for the assigned groups.
• Depending on group needs and approach to business development, takes on other responsibilities as needed.
Practice Group Operations
• Sets agendas for and run group meetings (group leaders, steering committees, partners and group-wide).
• Develops agendas for, oversees and coordinates group retreats, and other group meetings.
• Oversee the development, submission and ongoing monitoring of the group business development expense budgets for the year.
• Supports lateral integration efforts.
The position requires a Bachelor’s Degree. A JD, MBA or other related advanced degree may substitute for required experience.
The position requires a minimum of five (5) years of increasingly responsible, directly related experience during which the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities were attained. Experience in the direct supervision of others on a regular basis preferred. Direct experience in a law firm or professional services environment in any professional capacity preferred.
Proven experience, in the areas enumerated above, supporting a Healthcare and Privacy & Cyber Security Groups in a legal services environment highly preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Demonstrated ability to build strong working relationships across all levels of the organization and work effectively both independently and with others in a cooperative, enthusiastic and friendly manner to accomplish position functions and participate in team efforts.
• Ability to adapt to changing priorities and maintain a productive and committed work effort, meeting deadlines and managing workload.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate persuasively, both orally and in writing, on a prepared and extemporaneous basis with clients, lawyers, and staff.
• Experience with content creation and messaging development.
• Strong business and marketing acumen. Ability to leverage research and competitive intelligence to identify business opportunities and support go-to-market strategies.
• Ability to appropriately delegate work to others to meet deadlines, goals and objectives, develop skills and knowledge of others, build capacity and productivity of department.
• Strong knowledge of and familiarity with legal and business environments.
Crowell & Moring LLP offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package which includes progressive options such as back up child care, wellness programs, cultural events and social activities. We take great pride in our positive, friendly culture that rewards hard work and success, at the same time recognizing the importance of family and community service.
Crowell & Moring LLP participates in the E-Verify program.