Manager, Business Development
- 1001 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20004, USA
Crowell & Moring International LLC (C&M International or CMI) is a global government relations, public policy, and public affairs consulting firm that helps clients shape the international regulatory landscape to support innovation, sustainable growth, and commercial competitiveness. For more than thirty years, C&M International’s team of public policy experts, former trade negotiators, economists, and bio-medical scientists has worked with clients to resolve commercial and trade challenges, clear political hurdles, and shape policies and regulations in key international markets.
The Manager, Business Development (BD) works with and supports Crowell & Moring International LLC (CMI), along with some cross-practice, industry-focused working groups between CMI and Crowell & Moring LLP (C&M). The Manager leads group business development initiatives, supports and coordinates marketing efforts, and assists with day-to-day group operations. The Manager will serve as a business advisor to CMI group leaders and directors in generating business and supporting BD efforts for the firm. The Manager will report to President & CEO of CMI with a dotted line to a Director or Senior Director, Practice Group Business Development & Management.
This position will also work closely with members of the C&M BD, Marketing & Communications, and Client Development teams to ensure their initiatives build upon C&M resources and knowledge, support CMI priorities and help drive overall firm strategy for CMI with C&M.
Primary Areas of Responsibility
Business Development and Marketing
• Partners with CMI leaders to develop and implement strategic plans.
• Proactively engages with practice groups within CMI and its professionals to understand the public policy, public affairs, government affairs and business needs of clients and the corresponding solutions the firm provides to them. Through CMI “fluency,” contributes high-level business development advice and guidance that demonstrates a thorough understanding of the work done by the group and its professionals.
• Creates and drives business development goals of CMI; includes support in generating business leads and opportunities, expanding existing client matters, and identifying and pursuing cross-selling opportunities.
• Develops pitches and proposals, including firm responses to formal RFPs.
• Supports, monitors and reports on the progress of on-going business development efforts and initiatives for CMI.
• Works with individual CMI professionals and advises on business development best practices and strategies to assist in developing their practices.
• In collaboration with C&M Research Services, digests and delivers meaningful research on existing and prospective clients, competitor activity, and industry or market trends to inform and support business development opportunities, strategies, and decisions.
• Develops compelling marketing collateral, website descriptions, and other client facing materials; ensures materials are regularly updated.
• Supports firm-wide efforts related to the knowledge management of pitches, proposals, and opportunities for CMI.
• Ensures matters/experience lists and databases for CMI are maintained.
• Supports opportunities to increase brand awareness and profile forCMI, including outward facing activities such as client alerts, articles and other publications, sponsored events, in-house presentations, professional speaking opportunities.
• Works with C&M Media PR and Communications teams to support raising the profile of CMI and its professionals, and with the C&M events team to plan and support group events that showcase CMI and its professionals.
• Depending on group needs and approach to business development, takes on other responsibilities as needed.
• Sets agendas for and run BD group meetings (group leaders, directors and group-wide).
• Develops agendas for, oversees and coordinates BD discussions, reviews and assessments, as well as group retreats, and other group meetings as requested.
The position requires a Bachelor’s Degree. An MBA or other related advanced degree may substitute for required experience.
The position requires a minimum of five (5) years of increasingly responsible, directly related experience during which knowledge, skills and abilities applicable to the position were demonstrated.
Direct experience in a public affairs firm or professional services environment in a professional capacity preferred.
Experience working with or in government is a plus in conjunction with appropriate private sector experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Strong business and marketing acumen, including the ability to leverage research and competitive intelligence to identify business opportunities and support go-to-market strategies.
• Demonstrated ability to build strong working relationships across all levels of the organization and work both independently and with others in a cooperative, enthusiastic and friendly manner to accomplish position functions and participate in team efforts.
• Ability to adapt to changing priorities and maintain a productive and committed work effort, meeting deadlines and managing workload.
• Excellent time management, organization, and prioritization skills.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing with internal and external clients/personnel at all levels.
• Excellent writing skills.
• Experience with content creation and messaging development.
• Strong knowledge of and familiarity with policy, public affairs and business environments.
• Experience working in an international environment, interest in international issues and/or experience working with or in government is a plus.
Crowell & Moring LLP and Crowell & Moring International LLC take great pride in our positive, friendly culture that rewards hard work and success, at the same time recognizing the importance of family and community service.
Crowell & Moring LLP participates in the E-Verify program.