- 1001 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20004, USA
Founded with a commitment to build a different kind of law firm, Crowell & Moring LLP today is an international law firm representing clients in litigation and investigations, regulatory and transactional matters. We are internationally recognized for our representation of Fortune 500 companies in high-stakes litigation, as well as our ongoing commitment to pro bono service and diversity. With nearly 550 lawyers based in seven offices in the United States and Europe, the firm helps international corporations and emerging enterprises navigate complex legal challenges and create business solutions across the globe.
The Manager, Billing is responsible for overall management of the firm’s billing and e-billing functions and personnel.
• Directly supervises billing and e-billing staff. Hires, retains, motivates, develops and evaluates department staff in a fair, equitable and non-discriminatory manner.
• Identifies and recommends improvements to existing procedures; ensures the quality and integrity of the client billing process within current firm policies.
• Acts as a liaison between attorneys and billing staff.
• Monitors and assesses the customer support of the department providing additional training and counseling as required to reinforce importance.
• Manages firm billing, including following up with attorneys, secretaries, and billing staff to ensure deadlines are met; communicates with management regarding areas of concern and non-performance.
• Oversees billing process to ensure all invoices are prepared in compliance with firm policies in a timely manner; monitors department productivity and workloads.
• Monitors e-billing process; reviews issues with the e-billing staff to ensure that errors and rejections are resolved in a timely, accurate, and effective manner.
• Provides information and various reports to management, attorneys and secretaries upon request.
• Reviews client billing guidelines, coaches billing and e-billing staff on their impact and updates the accounting system accordingly.
• Manages training programs for new billing attorneys and secretarial staff.
• Prepares and delivers annual performance reviews which compare the performance of direct reports to expectations communicated.
• Provides training to the billing and e-billing staff.
• Monitors staff adherence to internal procedures under a quality control program.
• Works independently under the management of the Assistant Director, Billing & Collections.
The position requires a Bachelor’s Degree in preferably Business, Accounting or Finance. Equivalent training and experience may substitute for education.
The position requires a minimum of five (5) years of supervisory experience in billing in a law firm or professional services organization. Requires experience leading, mentoring and holding direct reports with varying skill sets accountable for their performance.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Ability to effectively supervise others, including hiring, training, assigning work, managing performance, counseling, disciplining and terminating.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing with attorneys, staff and external contacts.
• Ability to appropriately delegate work to others to meet deadlines, goals and objectives, develop skills and knowledge of others, build capacity and productivity of department.
• Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize work of a highly detailed nature in a dynamic and complex environment to meet deadlines and daily requirements.
• Ability to provide quality client service to both internal and external contacts, regarding non-legal matters of a complex nature. Requires patience, creativity and discretion.
• Must possess the interpersonal skills necessary to communicate information with tact and courtesy as well as follow instructions effectively from a diverse group of clients, lawyers, and staff.
• Intermediate knowledge of MS suite to produce quality written communications such as memos, spreadsheets, slides, and other standard work documents.
• Advanced knowledge of Elite and e-Billing Hub.
Crowell & Moring LLP offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package which includes progressive options such as back up child care, wellness programs, cultural events and social activities. We take great pride in our positive, friendly culture that rewards hard work and success, at the same time recognizing the importance of family and community service.
Crowell & Moring LLP participates in the E-Verify program.