Senior Accounts Payable Specialist
- 1001 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20004, USA
Founded with a commitment to build a different kind of law firm, Crowell & Moring LLP today is an international law firm representing clients in litigation and investigations, regulatory and transactional matters. We are internationally recognized for our representation of Fortune 500 companies in high-stakes litigation, as well as our ongoing commitment to pro bono service and diversity. With nearly 550 lawyers based in seven offices in the United States and Europe, the firm helps international corporations and emerging enterprises navigate complex legal challenges and create business solutions across the globe.
The Senior A/P Specialist is responsible for performing vendor and employee expense related payment processing in support of multiple offices. The Specialist conducts review, research and analysis of transactions to ensure the highest level of quality, accuracy and timely payment processing. In addition, this position will also require the review of staff work to ensure adherence to company policies and procedures related to accounts payable.
• Provides backup to the Manager, Accounts Payable during absences.
• Organizes invoices and prepares vouchers in the A/P system in preparation for payment.
• Maintains an organized and complete set of A/P files. Files invoices and related payment supporting documentation in an organized and timely manner.
• Answers internal and external inquiries.
• Reviews employee expense reports from multiple offices for accuracy while ensuring timely reimbursement and follow-up when necessary.
• Assists in reviewing A/P staff’s vendor and employee reimbursement batches before checks are prepared.
• Audits petty cash drawers.
• Supervises the receipt of W-9’s from vendors and assists with preparation of 1099’s at year end and responds to IRS B Letters.
• Performs ad hoc A/P research and analysis as requested. Prepares or obtains A/P-related documents for external audit and tax service providers.
• Prepares rush check batches for payment.
• Distributes checks to check signers and ensures distribution within the deadline.
• Prepares ACH files for submission including balancing to supporting reports.
• Uploads Westlaw and Lexis cost files, and other vendor uploads as necessary, and ensures timely resolution of errors.
• Monitors status of preferred vendor invoices and follows up on aged items to ensure they are paid on a timely basis.
• Monitors outstanding checks and follows up on aged items to comply with Unclaimed Funds regulations.
• Maintains vendor inquiry spreadsheet.
• Enters and balances the monthly invoices for firm paid credit cards.
The position requires a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or a related field. Equivalent training and experience may substitute for education.
The position requires a minimum of three (3) years of increasingly responsible, directly related experience, preferably with a law firm or other professional services organization, using Elite or other complex accounting system.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing, with attorneys, staff, and vendors.
• Ability to provide quality customer service to both internal and external contacts regarding financial matters of a routine nature.
• Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize work of a detailed nature in a dynamic and complex environment to meet deadlines and daily requirements.
• Basic knowledge of MS Office Suite, including Word and Excel.
• Intermediate skill in operating standard office equipment such as calculators and desktop computers.
• Demonstrated knowledge of basic math concepts and the ability to perform simple math functions quickly and accurately.
• Familiarity with an automated financial management system such as Elite Enterprise.
• Ability to effectively assign and review the work of others to assure accurate and timely completion.
Crowell & Moring LLP offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package which includes progressive options such as back up child care, wellness programs, cultural events and social activities. We take great pride in our positive, friendly culture that rewards hard work and success, at the same time recognizing the importance of family and community service.
Crowell & Moring LLP participates in the E-Verify program.