Senior Manager, Business Development
- 590 Madison Ave, New York, NY 10022, USA
Founded with a commitment to build a different kind of law firm, Crowell & Moring LLP today is an international law firm representing clients in litigation and investigations, regulatory and transactional matters. We are internationally recognized for our representation of Fortune 500 companies in high-stakes litigation, as well as our ongoing commitment to pro bono service and diversity. With nearly 550 lawyers based in seven offices in the United States and Europe, the firm helps international corporations and emerging enterprises navigate complex legal challenges and create business solutions across the globe.
The Senior Manager, Business Development (BD) works with and supports the firm’s Corporate Group, along with adjacent cross-practice, industry-focused groups, including financial services and emerging companies/venture capital. The Senior Manager drives business development, branding and marketing initiatives. The Senior Manager will serve as a strategic business advisor to the Corporate Group leadership team and the attorneys in the practice. The Senior Manager will report to a Senior Director, Business Development.
Primary Areas of Responsibility
• Partners with practice and working group leaders to develop and execute business development plans, including expanding and diversifying existing client relationships, attracting new clients and collaborating with attorneys in other practice groups to drive business growth and market visibility.
• Proactively engages with Corporate Group leadership and practice attorneys to understand the group’s skill sets and substantive experience, as well as the legal and business needs of clients, referral sources and prospective clients, so as to marshal offerings in a client-generating, revenue-increasing and brand enhancing manner.
• Supports client service teams as assigned.
• Through group and market-centric “fluency,” contributes high-level business development advice and guidance that demonstrates a thorough understanding of the group’s experience, business, client base, market forces, and competitive landscape in particular ecosystems (e.g., emerging companies/venture capital and investment banking).
• Develops formal and informal pitch materials and proposal responses that reflect a clear understanding of the opportunity and a focus on positioning the relevant experience, knowledge and firm offerings.
• Participates in integration of lateral partners and counsel with an emphasis on synching up individual business plans with Corporate Group plans and initiatives.
• Develops compelling marketing collateral, website descriptions, experience lists, and other client facing materials; ensures materials are up to date by managing group knowledge management efforts.
• Analyzes client and market intelligence to inform business development and branding initiatives and to capitalize on opportunities.
• Supports firm-wide knowledge management efforts, including with regard to the firm’s CRM and experience management programs.
• Identifies and pursues opportunities, in collaboration with the firm’s communications team, as appropriate, to increase brand awareness and profile for the Corporate Group, including sponsored events, in-house training presentations, professional speaking opportunities, firm alerts, media opportunities, and published articles.
• Plans and orchestrates client development events with group attorneys.
• Plans and drives written thought leadership efforts with group attorneys.
• Oversees the timely preparation of strategic and compelling submissions to Chambers, Law360 and other target ranking publications and recognition opportunities.
• In collaboration with Corporate Group leadership, develops and manages the practice’s business development budget.
The position requires a Bachelor’s Degree. A JD, MBA or other related advanced degree may substitute for required experience.
The position requires a minimum of seven (7) years of increasingly responsible, directly related experience during which knowledge, skills and abilities applicable to the position were demonstrated.
Experience in the direct supervision of others on a regular basis preferred. Direct experience in a law firm or professional services environment in a professional capacity preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Demonstrated business development experience growing revenue, including expanding existing client relationships and developing new clients.
• Strong business and marketing acumen, including the ability to leverage research and competitive intelligence to identify business opportunities and support go-to-market strategies.
• Demonstrated ability to build strong working relationships across all levels of the organization and work both independently and with others in a cooperative, enthusiastic and friendly manner to accomplish position functions and participate in team efforts.
• Ability to adapt to changing priorities and maintain a productive and committed work effort, meeting deadlines and managing workload.
• Excellent time management, organization, and prioritization skills.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing with internal and external clients/personnel at all levels.
• Demonstrated experience driving results-oriented practice group brand enhancing initiatives.
• Demonstrated knowledge of CRM systems and experience management databases.