Accounts Payable Manager
- 1001 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20004, USA
The Manager, Accounts Payable is responsible for managing the company accounts payable process and function in a professional and knowledgeable manner. This position oversees the daily management of the accounts payable staff and processes associated with the payment of invoices ensuring the accuracy and timeliness of the entire process including vendor payments and expense reimbursements via petty cash, check, ACH and wire and the posting of associated costs in the billing module. The Manager ensures company policies and procedures are being adhered to as they pertain to accounts payable.
· Manages all accounts payable staff scheduling, ensuring that adequate staffing levels are maintained during key processing periods and sufficient coverage is maintained during the day.
· Prepares performance evaluations for accounts payable team members and conducts evaluation reviews and other performance related discussions with team members.
· Plans and runs regular accounts payable team meetings including staff from other offices.
· Provides training and supervision to the accounts payable staff.
· Assists in the implementation of and manages the continued use of various technology tools to enhance the accounts payable process including ChromeRiver and document imaging.
· Ensures that all accounts payable inquiries are answered on a timely basis, including responding personally as needed.
· Supervises the uploading of various costs including Backup Day Care, Library Allowance Overages, Westlaw, Lexis, and FedEx.
· Implements firm policies and procedures pertaining to accounts payable.
· Identifies potential irregularities in connection with payment and reimbursement functions and notifies the Assistant Controller, Controller or other pertinent managers.
· Manages the maintenance of accounts payable records including the transition of the filing system at each year-end.
· Reviews all vendor and staff reimbursement batches before checks or ACH’s are prepared or ensures that they are reviewed by a separate team member from the preparer.
· Ensures that stale checks are handled in accordance with local regulations regarding unclaimed property.
· Prepares wire transfers and ACH files and reviews checks prepared by accounts payable specialists.
· Supervises the receipt of W-9s from vendors and preparation of 1099s at year-end.
· Audits petty cash drawers and handles all petty cash orders.
· Analyzes the sales and use tax accounts and prepares the sales and use tax returns.
· Manages the vendor hold process ensuring that payments are held when appropriate and released when appropriate.
· Supervises the recording of accounts payable from non-US offices.
· Ensures that all research requests are met on a timely basis.
· Assists the Assistant Controller with special projects as needed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing, with attorneys, staff and vendors.
· Demonstrated ability to effectively supervise others, including hiring, training, assigning work, managing performance, counseling, and disciplining.
· Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize work of a highly detailed nature in a dynamic and complex environment to meet deadlines and daily requirements.
· Demonstrated ability to provide quality client service to both internal and external contacts, regarding financial and procedural matters.
· Advanced knowledge of local sales and use tax rules and regulations.
· Demonstrated intermediate knowledge of sophisticated automated financial management systems such as Elite.
· Intermediate knowledge of MS Excel and Windows applications.
The position requires a Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Accounting or Finance. Equivalent training and experience may substitute for education.
The position requires a minimum of five (5) years of increasingly responsible, directly related experience in accounts payable that included direct supervision of others on a regular basis. Experience in a professional services firm preferred.
Crowell & Moring LLP offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package which includes progressive options such as back up child care, wellness programs, cultural events and social activities. We take great pride in our positive, friendly culture that rewards hard work and success, at the same time recognizing the importance of family and community service.
Crowell & Moring LLP participates in the E-Verify program.