Manager, Practice Group Business Development & Management
- 1001 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20004, USA
We are Crowell & Moring.
Founded with a commitment to build a different kind of law firm, Crowell & Moring LLP today is an international law firm representing clients in litigation and arbitration, regulatory and transactional matters. We are internationally recognized for our representation of Fortune 500 companies in high-stakes litigation, as well as our ongoing commitment to pro bono service and diversity. With more than 500 lawyers based in the United States and Europe, the firm helps international corporations and emerging enterprises navigate complex legal challenges and create business solutions across the globe.
The Manager, Practice Group Business Development & Management (PG BD&M), works with and supports assigned practice group(s), along with cross-practice, industry-focused working groups. Initially, assigned practice groups include Crowell & Moring’s Intellectual Property and Digital Transformation practices. The Manager leads group business development initiatives, supports and coordinates marketing efforts, and assists with day-to-day group operations. The Manager will develop and implement practice group business development strategies to strengthen and expand relationships with current clients and cultivate new clients. In addition, the Manager will identify and execute approaches to elevate the external and internal profile of the practices. The Manager will also support the leadership of the practices in management areas, including operations, and economics.
The Manager will report to Directors of the PG BD&M department.
This position will also work closely with other members of the Client Development & Practice Management Department, including public relations, marketing, and marketing technology, as well as the Financial Planning, and Diversity departments to ensure that initiatives support firm priorities and help drive overall firm strategy.
Primary Areas of Responsibility
Business Development and Marketing
• Partners with practice and working group leaders and assigned Director to develop and implement strategic plans.
• Engages with practice groups and attorneys to understand the legal and business needs of clients and the corresponding legal, policy, technical, or business solutions the firm provides to them. Through practice group “fluency,” contributes high-level business development advice and guidance that demonstrates a thorough understanding of the work the group and lawyers do.
• Drives business development goals of assigned groups; includes support in generating business leads and opportunities, expanding existing client matters, and identifying and pursuing cross-selling opportunities.
• Develops pitches and proposals, including firm responses to formal RFPs.
• In collaboration with Research Services, digests and delivers meaningful research on existing and prospective clients, competitor activity, and industry or market trends to inform and support business development opportunities, strategies, and decisions.
• Develops compelling marketing collateral, website descriptions, and other client facing materials; ensures materials are regularly updated.
• Supports firm-wide efforts related to the knowledge management of pitches, proposals, and opportunities for their assigned groups.
• Maintains matters/experience lists and databases for assigned groups.
• Supports opportunities to increase brand awareness and profile for assigned practice areas, including outward facing activities such as sponsored events, in-house presentations, professional speaking opportunities and articles and other publications.
• Works with the events team to plan and support group events.
• Supports, monitors, and reports on the progress of on-going business development efforts and initiatives for assigned groups.
• Works with individual lawyers and advises on business development best practices and strategies to assist in developing their practices.
• Supports attorneys with, and supervises PG Coordinators handling the logistics of, client alerts, blogs, and newsletters.
• Oversees the timely preparation and submission of the Chambers, Law360 and other ranking submissions for the assigned groups.
• Depending on group needs and approach to business development, takes on other responsibilities as needed.
• Working with practice group leaders, ensures practice group meetings have strong agendas and are well-run.
• In collaboration with the firm’s Financial Planning & Analysis Department, reviews and analyzes financial reports provided by the Finance Department and updates group leaders on key performance indicators.
• In collaboration with practice group leadership and the firm’s Financial Planning & Analysis Department, oversees the development, submission and ongoing monitoring of the group revenue and expense budgets for the year.
• Collaborates with the firm’s Attorney Recruiting group and Lawyer Development Committee to support recruiting initiatives.
• In collaboration with the firm’s Lateral Partner Recruiting Group, the Attorney Recruiting Group and a Senior Director, Practice Group Business Development & Management, supports the integration of lateral attorneys in the assigned group.
• Assists with other practice management functions as needed.
The position requires a Bachelor’s Degree. A JD, MBA or other related advanced degree may substitute for the required experience.
The position requires a minimum of five (5) years of increasingly responsible, directly related experience during which the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities were attained. Experience in the direct supervision of others on a regular basis preferred. Direct experience in a law firm or professional services environment in any professional capacity preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Excellent writing skills with demonstrated ability in content creation/message development and developing clear value proposition statements within creative production processes.
• Demonstrated ability to develop executive-level presentations and present ideas persuasively to an executive-level audience.
• Demonstrated ability to build strong working relationships across all levels of the organization and work both independently and with others.
• Excellent time management, organization, and prioritization skills.
• Strong business and marketing acumen. Ability to leverage research and competitive intelligence to identify business opportunities and support go-to-market strategies.
• Experience with guiding and/or developing innovative product solutions that integrate multiple product/service capabilities.
• Strong knowledge of and familiarity with legal and business environments.
• General digital/tech savviness and social media acumen.
• Demonstrated ability to balance internal sensitivities while driving for results.
• Knowledge of basic accounting and budgeting principles and experience monitoring and managing budgets.
Crowell & Moring LLP offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package which includes progressive options such as back up child care, wellness programs, cultural events and social activities. We take great pride in our positive, friendly culture that rewards hard work and success, at the same time recognizing the importance of family and community service.
Crowell & Moring LLP participates in the E-Verify program.