IP Applications Intake Specialist
- 1001 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20004, USA
Founded with a commitment to build a different kind of law firm, Crowell & Moring LLP today is an international law firm representing clients in litigation and investigations, regulatory and transactional matters. We are internationally recognized for our representation of Fortune 500 companies in high-stakes litigation, as well as our ongoing commitment to pro bono service and diversity. With nearly 550 lawyers based in seven offices in the United States and Europe, the firm helps international corporations and emerging enterprises navigate complex legal challenges and create business solutions across the globe.
The IP Applications Intake Specialist provides support to assist the IP Practice in functioning in a consistent, productive manner. The Specialist reviews incoming new patent application documents, attends to additional processing to place patent application documents in ready to file condition.
• Receives, reviews, and prepares new applications documents including draft patent applications, preliminary amendments, substitute specifications, etc. to make the application “ready to file” in compliance with client instructions/procedures, attorney preferences, and USPTO requirements.
• Responds to inquiries in a timely manner and satisfies client expectations for completeness and accuracy of filing.
• Directly interacts with manager and clients in order to resolve questions related to completeness and accuracy of application documents including maintaining a working knowledge of client’s special instructions and correspondence preferences.
• Strictly adheres to established policies and procedures to meet expectations of firm administration, clients and attorneys, identifies and applies special client instructions and attorney preferences related to workflows and document preparation.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
The position requires a Bachelor’s Degree in a related field. Equivalent training and experience with the preparation and filing of USPTO documents may substitute for education.
The position prefers a minimum of two (2) years of increasingly responsible, directly related IP experience during which knowledge, skills and abilities relevant to the position were demonstrated.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Must possess a thorough command of the English language, including excellent spelling, grammar and punctuation.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, and to follow written and oral instructions.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively with others in a cooperative, enthusiastic and friendly manner to accomplish position functions and participate in team efforts.
• Demonstrated knowledge of U.S. patent prosecution requirements and competence in filing documents at the USPTO.
• Demonstrated knowledge of workflows and procedures related to docketing, preparing, and filing applications and application related documents.
• Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize a heavy workload in a dynamic and complex environment to meet deadlines and daily requirements, while maintaining exceptional accuracy.
• Intermediate PC knowledge in MS Word, PDF conversion tools, MS Outlook, and document management software.
• Intermediate knowledge related to use of equipment including scanners, copiers, and facsimile machines.
• Intermediate knowledge of MS Excel, PowerPoint, computerized docketing, and billing systems.
• Ability to conduct internet searches and, utilize software applications to obtain technical literature relating to patents and trademarks.
• Reliability and dependability with some flexibility regarding work schedule and availability for overtime as requested to accommodate client and attorney business needs.
• Demonstrated ability to accurately type 60 words per minute.
• Ability to lift, move and carry boxes without assistance, weighing up to 35 lbs.
Crowell & Moring LLP offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package which includes progressive options such as back up child care, wellness programs, cultural events and social activities. We take great pride in our positive, friendly culture that rewards hard work and success, at the same time recognizing the importance of family and community service.
Crowell & Moring LLP participates in the E-Verify program.