Manager, Practice Group Business Development & Management
- 1001 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC 20004, USA
We are Crowell & Moring
Founded with a commitment to build a different kind of law firm, Crowell & Moring LLP today is an international law firm representing clients in litigation and arbitration, regulatory and transactional matters. We are internationally recognized for our representation of Fortune 500 companies in high-stakes litigation, as well as our ongoing commitment to pro bono service and diversity. With more than 500 lawyers based in the United States and Europe, the firm helps international corporations and emerging enterprises navigate complex legal challenges and create business solutions across the globe.
The Manager, Practice Group Business Development & Management (PGBD&M) primarily works with and supports Crowell & Moring’s Intellectual Property practice group. The Manager will develop and implement practice group business development strategies to strengthen and expand relationships with current clients and cultivate new clients. In addition, the Manager will identify and execute approaches to elevate the external and internal profile of the practice. The Manager will also support the leadership of the practice group in management areas, including operations, economics, recruiting and talent development. The Manager may also have responsibility for a working group, initiative, or secondary practice group as assigned.
The Manager will have the support of an assigned Practice Group Coordinator/Assistant and will report to a Director, Practice Group Business Development & Management.
This position will also work closely with other members of the Client Development & Practice Management Department, including public relations, marketing, and marketing technology, as well as the Financial Planning, Recruiting, Professional Development and Diversity Departments to ensure their initiatives support firm priorities and help drive overall firm strategy.
Primary Areas of Responsibility
Business Development and Marketing
· Partners with practice and working group leaders and assigned Director to develop and implement strategic plans.
· Engages with practice group and attorneys to understand the legal and business needs of clients and the corresponding legal solutions the firm provides. Through practice group “fluency,” contributes high-level business development advice and guidance that demonstrates a thorough understanding of the work the group and lawyers do.
· Drives business development goals of assigned group, including support for generating business leads and opportunities, expanding existing client matters, and identifying and pursuing cross-selling opportunities.
· Develops pitches and proposals, including firm responses to formal RFPs.
· Supports, monitors and reports on the progress of on-going business development efforts and initiatives for assigned groups.
· Works with individual lawyers and advises on business development best practices and strategies to assist in developing their practices.
· In collaboration with Research Services, digests and delivers meaningful research on existing and prospective clients, competitor activity, and industry or market trends to inform and support business development opportunities, strategies, and decisions.
· Develops compelling marketing collateral, website descriptions, and other client facing materials; ensures materials are regularly updated.
· Supports firm-wide efforts related to the knowledge management of pitches, proposals, and opportunities for their assigned groups.
· Ensures matters/experience lists and databases for assigned groups are maintained.
· Supports opportunities to increase brand awareness and profile for assigned practice, including outward facing activities such as sponsored events, in-house presentations, professional speaking opportunities, client alerts, and articles and other publications.
· Works with events team to plan and support practice group events.
· Oversees the timely preparation and submission of the Chambers, Law360 and other ranking submissions for the assigned groups.
· Working with practice group leaders, ensures practice group meetings have strong agendas and are well-run.
· In collaboration with the firm’s Financial Planning & Analysis Department, reviews and analyzes financial reports provided by the Finance Department and updates group leaders on key performance indicators.
· In collaboration with practice group leadership and the firm’s Financial Planning & Analysis Department, oversees the development, submission and ongoing monitoring of the group revenue and expense budgets for the year.
· Collaborates with the firm’s Attorney Recruiting group and Lawyer Development Committee supports recruiting initiatives.
· In collaboration with the firm’s Lateral Partner Recruiting Group, the Attorney Recruiting Group and a Senior Director, Practice Group Business Development & Management, supports the integration of lateral attorneys in the assigned group.
· Assists with other practice management functions as needed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Demonstrated ability to build strong working relationships across all levels of the organization and work both independently and with others.
· Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize work in a dynamic and complex environment to meet deadlines and daily requirements.
· Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing with attorneys, staff, vendors and clients.
· Experience with content creation and messaging development.
· Strong business and marketing acumen. Ability to leverage research and competitive intelligence to identify business opportunities and support go-to-market strategies.
· Strong knowledge of and familiarity with legal and business environments.
· Knowledge of basic accounting and budgeting principles and experience monitoring and managing budgets.
The position requires a Bachelor’s Degree. A JD, MBA or other related advanced degree may substitute for required experience.
The position requires a minimum of five (5) years of increasingly responsible, directly related experience during which the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities were attained. Strong preference for candidates with experience working with intellectual property attorneys or similar background. Experience in the direct supervision of others on a regular basis preferred. Direct experience in a law firm or professional services environment in any professional capacity preferred.
Crowell & Moring LLP offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package which includes progressive options such as back up child care, wellness programs, cultural events and social activities. We take great pride in our positive, friendly culture that rewards hard work and success, at the same time recognizing the importance of family and community service.
Crowell & Moring LLP participates in the E-Verify program.