CEIL IP Intern
- 1001 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC 20004, USA
We are Crowell & Moring.
Founded with a commitment to build a different kind of law firm, Crowell & Moring today is an international law firm representing clients in litigation and arbitration, regulatory, and transactional matters. We are recognized internationally for our representation of Fortune 500 and over companies in high-stakes litigation, investigations, transactional, regulatory, and counseling matters, as well as our ongoing commitment to pro bono service and diversity. With nearly 550 lawyers based in seven offices in the United States and Europe, the firm helps international corporations and emerging enterprises create business solutions across the globe and navigate complex legal challenges. After applying, select candidates will be invited to interview. Hiring decisions are announced in late February and the internship starts in May of the same year. For the 2020 program year, we will select one program participant.
Crowell & Moring LLP invites electrical engineering students to apply for a 10-week PAID internship in our Crowell Engineering in Law Program (CEIL), exploring a career in the world of intellectual property law.
Our talented CEIL Intern will support the Intellectual Property Group in patent-related matters. This position is based in our Washington, D.C. office with a full-time commitment to work 37.5 hours a week, 5 days a week over the internship period.
Our CEIL program offers:
• A competitive starting salary
• Significant potential salary increases with program progression + eligible benefits
• Challenging work assignments on behalf of Fortune 100 and emerging companies
• Training and education on the patent laws that protect and govern inventions in the field of engineering
• Mentorship and career advice from industry-leading lawyers and engineers
• Networking and social activities
CEIL interns will:
• become familiar with the latest electrical engineering and software technologies
• be trained by and work directly with our intellectual property professionals
• be assigned an experienced IP mentor through the program
• develop research and writing skills and will become familiar with the latest electrical engineering and software technologies
• have access to the tools necessary to be successful
Instructions for Interested Candidates:
Interested applicants should submit their application with the following attachments:
• A resume with your cumulative GPA and expected graduation date (cover letter optional)
• A copy of your transcripts to-date
• A personal statement (750 words or less) describing the applicant’s interest in this program highlighting strengths, and/or any obstacles that the applicant has overcome
• Contact information for three academic or professional references
Project Start Date: 5/11/2020 or 5/26/2020
Our CEIL Intern will perform a variety of tasks and services that serve the intellectual property needs of the firm’s clients. They include:
• Conducting research on various patent and technology law issues
• Analyzing new technologies
• Monitoring industry related news and advancements
• Reviewing patent applications and draft documents for attorney review
• Interfacing directly with attorneys help prepare materials for client meetings
• Strong academic credentials
• Undergraduate students enrolled in electrical engineering programs from accredited engineering schools, currently in their junior or senior year. Master’s Degree, and Ph.D. students will be considered
• Those with a genuine interest in a career supporting technical innovation and law
• Those with a commitment to diversity and inclusion
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Proficient research skills and demonstrated analytical ability
• Detail-oriented with excellent time management and follow-up skills
• Strong initiative and is proactive in working with others
• Patience, creativity and discretion
• Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
Crowell & Moring LLP offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package which includes progressive options such as back up child care, wellness programs, cultural events and social activities. We take great pride in our positive, friendly culture that rewards hard work and success, at the same time recognizing the importance of family and community service.
Crowell & Moring LLP participates in the E-Verify program.