Senior Trial Paralegal
- 515 S Flower St, Los Angeles, CA 90071, USA
We are Crowell & Moring.
Founded with a commitment to build a different kind of law firm, Crowell & Moring LLP today is an international law firm representing clients in litigation and arbitration, regulatory and transactional matters. We are internationally recognized for our representation of Fortune 500 companies in high-stakes litigation, as well as our ongoing commitment to pro bono service and diversity. With nearly 550 lawyers based in seven offices in the United States and Europe, the firm helps international corporations and emerging enterprises navigate complex legal challenges and create business solutions across the globe.
Senior Trial Paralegals provide assistance to case teams at trials, mediations, arbitrations or any other manner of dispute resolution on behalf of firm clients. Senior Trial Paralegals have a minimum billing requirement of 1600 hours per year.
• Provides trial support on active litigation matters.
• Assists with preparation for trial, including preparation of witness binders, deposition designations, review and organization of materials for use by team attorneys, preparation of electronic presentations, and coordination of litigation support function.
• Assists with preparation and maintenance of all case-related electronic resources.
• Assists with the creation and maintenance of case chronologies, indices, and case files.
• Cite checks, Blue Books and proofreads pleadings, briefs and other documents as required.
• Coordinates document production process, including review for responsiveness and/or privilege, tagging and redaction, and assisting with logistics of coordination.
• Prepares redaction logs, privilege logs, and production logs as appropriate.
• Assists with trial logistics, including setting up the war room(s), reserving hotel and office space, and securing necessary equipment and supplies.
• Prepares for and attends depositions of fact and expert witnesses.
• Schedules and tracks depositions, filing deadlines, and other case-related deadlines, etc.
• Assists with scheduling of witness and expert trial testimony as needed.
• Assists with preparation of presentations, trial graphics and/or demonstratives.
• Organizes, labels, and tracks trial exhibits, documents, and evidence.
• Arranges for transporting and setting up files and exhibits in the courtroom.
• Orders, reviews and summarizes trial and post-trial transcripts.
• Gathers and organizes documents for a record on appeal and/or a joint appendix.
• Performs basic factual and legal research using online and hard copy resources.
• Provides data entry support on litigation matters.
• Performs searches in various litigation databases.
• Troubleshoots and identifies potential concerns, determine solutions or alternatives, and develops/implements a resolution.
• Drafts correspondence, memoranda, and pleadings.
• Analyzes, indexes and summarizes documents, data, and depositions as required by team attorneys and/or clients.
• Coordinates discovery and/or filings with courts or government agencies.
• Organizes work rooms.
• Attends periodic Practice Support department and Litigation & Trial department group meetings.
• Complies with mandatory annual Litigation & Trial department training requirements.
• Supervises and trains project assistants and junior level paralegals.
The position requires a Bachelor’s Degree. Equivalent training and experience may substitute for education.
The position requires a minimum of five (5) years of litigation experience and five (5) trials as first-chair paralegal.
Recent courtroom experience is required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing.
• Ability to provide quality client service to both internal and external contacts, regarding matters of a routine nature.
• Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize work in a dynamic and complex environment to meet deadlines and daily requirements.
• Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
• Ability to apply technical knowledge or guidance, analyze and interpret data from several sources to solve problems by applying precedent or extrapolating from previous experience.
• Strong attention to detail, including superior spelling and grammar.
• Must possess the interpersonal skills necessary to communicate information with tact and courtesy.
• Follows instructions effectively from a diverse group of clients, attorneys, and staff.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively both independently and with others in a cooperative, enthusiastic and friendly manner to accomplish position functions and participate in team efforts.
• Working knowledge of litigation databases, including but not limited to: Relativity, Case Notebook, CaseMap, Concordance, Trial Director, Sanction, etc.
• Advanced knowledge of legal concepts, methodologies, and relevant area of law.
• Ability to travel on short notice and work overtime as needed.
• Ability to safely lift, move and carry items weighing up to 50 pounds.
Crowell & Moring LLP offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package which includes progressive options such as back up child care, wellness programs, cultural events and social activities. We take great pride in our positive, friendly culture that rewards hard work and success, at the same time recognizing the importance of family and community service.
Crowell & Moring LLP participates in the E-Verify program.