Director, Attorney Recruiting
- 1001 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC 20004, USA
We are Crowell & Moring!
Founded with a commitment to build a different kind of law firm, Crowell & Moring LLP today is an international law firm representing clients in litigation and arbitration, regulatory and transactional matters. We are internationally recognized for our representation of Fortune 500 companies in high-stakes litigation, as well as our ongoing commitment to pro bono service and diversity. With nearly 550 lawyers based in seven offices in the United States and Europe, the firm helps international corporations and emerging enterprises navigate complex legal challenges and create business solutions across the globe.
The Director, Attorney Recruiting has the responsibility for a range of attorney recruiting initiatives related to all lateral and entry level recruiting and the summer associate program. This professional interacts with all offices and various committees with oversight for these areas of responsibilities.
• Actively liaises with practice group leaders and recruiting partner to identify staffing needs, and new and cost effective methods of conducting recruiting searches.
• Directs the coordination of the summer associate program including identification of needs, recruitment and onboarding, work allocation, training, mentoring, social events, evaluations and exit interviews.
• Oversees the administration of the fall recruiting program including reviewing and recommending target schools, facilitating the decision making process, and preparing projections and success reports for firm leadership as well as for various firm committees.
• Establishes and maintains strong working relationships with firm departments and committees, external professional associations and law schools.
• Ensures participation in key surveys which have a direct effect on summer and fall recruiting.
• Develops and manages a budget and oversees the allocation of funds for recruiting programs.
• Hires, trains, and supervises administrative staff responsible for attorney recruiting functions.
• Collaborates with Professional Development and Diversity & Inclusion teams to maximize recruiting effectiveness.
• In conjunction with Marketing, utilizes the alumni database and social media outlets as a tool in connecting with and recruiting high quality attorneys.
• Works with Diversity Council to implement firm wide diversity initiatives, including the recruitment and retaining of diverse attorneys.
• Works with other directors and managers to plan for potential business disruption, ensure critical data is backed up properly and create business continuity solutions by testing and implementing various recovery plans enabling the firm to resume normal operations as soon as possible following a disaster.
• Protects firm and client information by ensuring compliance with the firm’s information security policies, safeguarding firm assets from unauthorized access, disclosure, modification, destruction or interference and reporting security events or potential events or other security risks to management.
The position requires a Bachelor's Degree in a relevant field. Equivalent training and experience may substitute for education.
The position requires a minimum of ten (10) years of increasingly responsible, directly related recruiting and development experience in a law firm environment that included successful management of people, programs, projects, and finances/budgets.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Demonstrated ability to communicate persuasively, both orally and in writing, on a prepared and extemporaneous basis with staff, attorneys, firm leadership, and external audiences.
• Demonstrated ability to provide quality client service to both internal and external contacts, regarding complex and/or confidential matters. Requires the use of considerable tact, discretion and persuasion in gaining the cooperation and support of others.
• Ability to appropriately delegate work to others to meet deadlines, goals and objectives. Effective in leading and earning the trust and confidence of the team.
• Ability to collaborate with others in the development of new initiatives and/or completion of large-scale projects in a timely manner, building effective, cooperative work teams across the firm’s offices. Involves the use of considerable tact, discretion and persuasion in gaining the cooperation of others.
• Ability to manage subordinate supervisors in a complex, multi-location work environment to develop a cohesive, effective work unit.
• Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize work in a dynamic and complex environment to meet deadlines and daily requirements.
• Knowledge of basic budgeting principles and the ability to develop, manage, and defend budgets, adopting best practices to manage finances in the interests of the firm.
• Ability to represent the firm with honesty, integrity, and professionalism, consistently acting in an ethical manner.
• Demonstrated ability to apply innovation to the area and firm challenges to identify problems, and propose and implement solutions.
Crowell & Moring LLP offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package which includes progressive options such as back up child care, wellness programs, cultural events and social activities. We take great pride in our positive, friendly culture that rewards hard work and success, at the same time recognizing the importance of family and community service.
Crowell & Moring LLP participates in the E-Verify program.