- 1001 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC 20004, USA
We are Crowell & Moring
Founded with a commitment to build a different kind of law firm, Crowell & Moring LLP today is an international law firm representing clients in litigation and arbitration, regulatory and transactional matters. We are internationally recognized for our representation of Fortune 500 companies in high-stakes litigation, as well as our ongoing commitment to pro bono service and diversity. With nearly 550 lawyers based in seven offices in the United States and Europe, the firm helps international corporations and emerging enterprises navigate complex legal challenges and create business solutions across the globe.
The Conflicts Analyst supports the firm’s risk management need and new business function by collecting the necessary information to perform a thorough and accurate conflict of interest checks on proposed new representations and lateral attorney hiring. The Analyst is responsible for review and analysis of new matter requests related to firm acceptance of new matters. The position also assists the firm’s Conflicts Attorneys and Senior Conflicts Counsel with conflicts review associated with special projects, such as bankruptcies and lateral groups. The position enters new matter information into the firm’s accounting system and supports the firm’s requirement to disseminate information regarding all new representations to firm personnel.
• Conducts corporate research using the internet and other research tools, based on a notification of potential new representation, to confirm the accuracy of party names and to identify corporate family affiliates for all practice groups.
• Enters data into firm’s conflicts database and conducts database searches to identify potential conflicts with matters already in systems and generates conflicts report for analysis by firm’s attorneys.
• Provides support of the conflicts department’s specialized needs regarding the opening of new matters, including preparation of new client/new matter paperwork and engagement letters, and monitoring the docketing database to ensure that matters requiring conflicts checking are appropriately handled.
• Analyzes information provided with new matter requests for compliance with firm policies and applicable rules of professional responsibility.
• Reviews conflict of interest reports for uncomplicated new firm matters to confirm no potential conflict problems.
• Enters client and new matter information into the firm’s conflicts and accounting databases for approved representations for conflicts and billing purposes.
• Drafts and distributes to the firm the daily report of the proposed business.
• Assists with other special projects related to maintenance of the database and the tracking of engagement letters and outside counsel guidelines.
• Supports risk management efforts with the maintenance of database associated with attorney departures.
• Generates special reports for attorneys or firm administration.
• Assists Conflicts Assistant Director and Assistant Manager with the training of new Conflict Information Specialists and Conflicts Analysts, as well as ongoing training regarding procedures, process updates and changes due to software changes, application changes, technical upgrades and process improvements.
• Assists Conflicts Attorneys with issues associated with special projects, such as bankruptcies, lateral groups or ethics walls.
• Participates in testing, development, and analytic activities associated with Conflicts Department’s implementation and upgrade of electronic tools, software, applications, and new electronic processes.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
The position requires a Bachelor’s Degree or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
The position requires a minimum of five (5) years of increasingly responsible, directly related conflicts law firm experience or in a practice support or legal assistant capacity.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Basic knowledge of conflicts of interest issues.
• High level of knowledge and ability related to technical systems associated with law firm new business intake.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing with attorneys and staff.
• Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize work in a dynamic and complex environment, work independently, with attention to detail, adapt to changing priorities, to meet deadlines and daily requirements.
• High level of knowledge of internet research.
• Demonstrated ability to follow data entry conventions and enter data accurately.
• Demonstrated ability to master new technology applications.
• Advanced skill in operating standard office equipment, including desktop computers, facsimile machines, copiers, telephones.
• Intermediate knowledge of MS Office Suite, primarily Word and Excel.
Crowell & Moring LLP offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package which includes progressive options such as back up child care, wellness programs, cultural events and social activities. We take great pride in our positive, friendly culture that rewards hard work and success, at the same time recognizing the importance of family and community service.
Crowell & Moring LLP participates in the E-Verify program.