Manager, Practice Group Business Development & Management
- 1001 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC 20004, USA
Crowell & Moring was founded in 1979 by 53 lawyers who left a large national firm to begin a different kind of law firm. Since then, we've grown to more than 500 lawyers in Washington, D.C., New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Orange County, London, and Brussels. And we've created some impressive milestones along the way.
Crowell & Moring LLP invites you to consider this unique opportunity to join a dynamic team of business development and practice management professionals at a top law firm where both attorneys and staff are highly valued and exciting careers are built!
The Manager, Practice Group Business Development & Management (PGBD&M) works with and supports assigned practice group(s), along with some cross-practice, industry-focused working groups. The manager leads group business development initiatives, supports and coordinates marketing efforts, and assists with day-to-day group operations. The Manager will have the support of an assigned Practice Group Coordinator/Assistant and will report to a Director, Practice Group Business Development & Management.
This position will also work closely with other members of the PGBD&M, Marketing & Communications, and Client Development teams to ensure their initiatives support firm priorities and help drive overall firm strategy.
Primary Areas of Responsibility:
Business Development and Marketing
• Partners with practice and working group leaders and assigned Director to develop and implement strategic plans.
• Engages with practice groups and attorneys to understand the legal and business needs of clients and the corresponding legal solutions the firm provides to them. Through practice group “fluency,” contributes business development advice and guidance that demonstrates a sound understanding of the work the group and lawyers do.
• Drives business development goals of assigned groups; includes support in generating business leads and opportunities, expanding existing client matters, and identifying and pursuing cross-selling opportunities.
• Develops pitches and proposals, including firm responses to formal RFPs.
• In collaboration with Research Services, digests and delivers meaningful research on existing and prospective clients, competitor activity, and industry or market trends to inform and support business development opportunities, strategies, and decisions.
• Develops compelling marketing collateral, website descriptions, and other client-facing materials; ensures materials are regularly updated.
• Supports firm-wide efforts related to the knowledge management of pitches, proposals, and opportunities for their assigned groups.
• Maintains matters/experience lists and databases for assigned groups.
• Supports opportunities to increase brand awareness and profile for assigned practice areas, including outward facing activities such as sponsored events, in-house presentations, professional speaking opportunities and articles and other publications.
• Works with the events team to plan and support group events.
• Supports, monitors and reports on the progress of on-going business development efforts and initiatives for assigned groups.
• Works with individual lawyers and advises on business development best practices and strategies to assist in developing their practices.
• Supports attorneys with, and supervises PG Coordinators handling the logistics of, client alerts, blogs, and newsletters.
• Oversees the timely preparation and submission of the Chambers, Law360 and other ranking submissions for the assigned groups.
• Depending on group needs and approach to business development, takes on other responsibilities as needed.
• Day-to-Day Operations:
- Sets agendas for and run group meetings (group leaders, steering committees, partners and group-wide).
- Develops agendas for, oversees and coordinates group retreats, and other group meetings.
• Financial Analysis, Reporting, Management and Budgeting – in collaboration with the firm’s Financial Planning & Analysis Department:
- Reviews and analyzes financial reports provided by the Finance Department and updates group leaders on key performance indicators.
- Oversee the development, submission and ongoing monitoring of the group revenue and expense budgets for the year.
• Attorney Development, Staffing and Lateral Integration – in collaboration with the firm’s Attorney Recruiting group and Lawyer Development Committee:
- Participates in onboarding and integration of lateral attorneys in the assigned groups.
- Works closely with Attorney Recruiting to provide support on lateral recruiting activities for assigned groups.
- Assists Practice Group staffing partner in addressing staffing issues/ requirements by monitors new matters and attorney utilization reports.
- Works with Practice Group leaders on attorney evaluations and promotion issues.
• Depending on group needs and approach to practice management, takes on other responsibilities as needed.
The position requires a Bachelor’s Degree. A JD, MBA or another related advanced degree may substitute for required experience.
The position requires a minimum of five (5) years of increasingly responsible, directly related experience during which the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities were attained. Experience in the direct supervision of others on a regular basis preferred. Direct experience in a law firm or professional services environment in any professional capacity preferred.
Directly related experience supporting following practice area in a large law firm setting is highly desired:
o Corporate Practice Area
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Demonstrated ability to build strong working relationships across all levels of the organization and work both independently and with others.
• Excellent time management, organization, and prioritization skills.
• Excellent writing skills.
• Experience with content creation and messaging development.
• Strong business and marketing acumen. Ability to leverage research and competitive intelligence to identify business opportunities and support go-to-market strategies..
• Strong knowledge of and familiarity with legal and business environments.
• Knowledge of basic accounting and budgeting principles and experience monitoring and managing budgets.
Crowell & Moring LLP offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package which includes progressive options such as back up child care, wellness programs, cultural events and social activities. We take great pride in our positive, friendly culture that rewards hard work and success, at the same time recognizing the importance of family and community service.
Crowell & Moring LLP participates in the E-Verify program.