Senior Director or Director, Diversity & Professional Development
- 1001 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC 20004, USA
Crowell & Moring was founded in 1979 by 53 lawyers who left a large national firm to begin a different kind of law firm. Since then, we've grown to more than 500 lawyers in Washington, D.C., New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Orange County, London, and Brussels. And we've created some impressive milestones along the way.
The Senior Director or Director, Diversity & Professional Development will lead the firm’s lawyer professional development, and diversity and inclusion efforts firm-wide. The Senior Director or Director will serve as a thought leader and resource to firm leadership, and will actively collaborate with practice leaders, committee leaders, and the firm’s Management Board to develop and drive the execution of the firm’s talent management and diversity and inclusion strategies. The Senior Director or Director will be responsible for (1) leading the development and implementation of a comprehensive and best in class approach to talent management, including development and curriculum of training offerings that are aligned with the firm’s performance expectations and criteria for advancement; (2) developing and executing policies and strategies to retain and promote diverse attorneys; and 4) serve as a champion for the firm’s lawyer professional development and diversity and inclusion efforts.
• Provide direction, development and oversight of all areas of talent development for all associates and counsel training, evaluations, competencies, benchmarks, mentoring, and compensation.
• Serve as resource and subject matter expert to firm leadership with regard to professional development offerings, diversity and inclusion strategy, compensation, retention strategies and other policies that impact associate and counsel talent across the firm.
• In collaboration with the firm’s Diversity Council, develop and implement a diversity plan consisting of short- and long-term diversity goals for both lawyers and professional staff. Collaborate with firm leadership to integrate and align the firm’s commitment to diversity and inclusion into all of its talent functions, including recruiting, professional development and marketing and business development.
• Identify and analyze professional development, diversity and inclusion trends and best practices across the profession and the broader business community and work to adopt and implement such practices at the firm as appropriate.
Talent Recruitment, Development and Retention
• Design and implement professional development and diversity initiatives to enhance the retention and engagement of the firm’s talent by integrating the firm’s diversity and inclusion goals into the talent development model at the firm. This includes implementing specific processes and plans to develop and retain and promote associates of color (AOC), LGBT associates, female associates and other under-represented attorneys.
• Monitor progress made on the firm’s diversity goals by utilizing metrics, soliciting feedback from the firm’s internal affinity groups, and maintaining and actively monitoring diversity hiring and attrition statistics in consultation with the firm’s Talent Development Committee.
• Build relationships with and serve as a resource, mentor, advisor and professional development and diversity subject matter expert to the firm’s lawyers and professional staff.
• Develop and oversee a consistent approach to setting and communicating performance expectations and providing lawyers with the tools to attain performance goals.
• Engage in efforts to establish and enhance the firm’s reputation and brand as a thought leader and innovator in talent management and diversity and inclusiveness strategies in the legal industry with the goal of enhancing our ability to compete for client work.
• Lead education efforts across both the lawyer and professional staff communities, including managing our professional development teams to develop training, tools and resources to enhance engagement, diversity awareness and cross-cultural competency.
• Monitor, analyze and report on diversity and inclusion statistics to (i) benchmark the firm against others in the industry, and (ii) to make recommendations as appropriate to the firm and diversity council leadership.
• Lead, supervise and develop a cohesive team of highly capable professional development and diversity professionals who thrive in a complex work environment.
• Draft and oversee the departmental budgets with the goal of maximizing return on investment, controlling costs, and using talent and resources efficiently.
• This position requires a Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field. JD is strongly preferred.
• This position requires a minimum of ten (10) years of increasingly responsible, directly related experience in a law firm or similar professional services environment, during which the knowledge, skills and abilities applicable to the position were demonstrated. At least two years of attorney private practice is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Demonstrated ability to provide quality client service to internal and external contacts regarding routine and complex matters, and to develop and maintain effective business relationships with people of diverse backgrounds. Requires tact, patience, and the ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing, and to make presentations to small and large groups in an effective manner.
• Demonstrated intellectual curiosity and commitment to innovating and enhancing the firm’s practices to ensure that we continue to be industry leaders in these critical areas.
• Ability to pay impeccable attention to detail.
• Intermediate knowledge of MS Suite to produce quality written communications, including presentations and advanced functions of Excel.
• Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize multiple projects in a dynamic and complex environment, meeting deadlines and successfully managing the daily workload.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively with others in a cooperative manner to accomplish work and participate in team efforts.
• Demonstrated ability to represent the firm with professionalism and honesty, consistently acting in an ethical manner.
Crowell & Moring LLP offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package which includes progressive options such as back up child care, wellness programs, cultural events and social activities. We take great pride in our positive, friendly culture that rewards hard work and success, at the same time recognizing the importance of family and community service.
Crowell & Moring LLP participates in the E-Verify program.