Senior Industrial Design Engineer
- South Jordan, UT, USA
- Employees can work remotely
- Department: Design
Together we make. Come make with us.
At Cricut®, we believe that we’re all born makers. When we built our first cutting machine, we saw the potential for a simple yet powerful tool to completely transform the way people craft, design, and DIY. Since then, we continue to innovate with new machines, platforms, materials, and tools, but that’s just what we do. Who we are is a bustling worldwide community, a means for connection, and an outlet for unbridled creativity. Join us as we place the power of handmade into the hands of ALL.
Love your work. And your coworkers.
Our company is made up of A+ human beings. We ask tough questions, entertain ideas outside of our own, and work together to make something bigger than ourselves. With Cricut® growing in China, the U.K., Australia, New Zealand, as well as Europe and South America, we’re on an unstoppable roll, satisfying that innate creative itch around the world. We train, develop, and celebrate great work with hallway high fives and promotions within. We also throw the world’s best Halloween party.
Enjoy incredible perks.
We take care of our team. From outstanding medical, dental, vision, and retirement benefits, to pet insurance, 401K match, life insurance, incentive programs, paid time off, on-site massages, phenomenal work-life balance, and employee discounts, we offer the best benefits package in the DIY consumer electronics industry. Period.
Like what you see? We can’t wait to meet you.
The Cricut IDE team forms the bridge between Design and Engineering. As a Senior Industrial Design Engineer, you are an integral member to the design team, helping to formalize ID intent and resolve complex engineering challenges to allow Cricut’s ambitious vision to be realized. You’ll enable the Mechanical Engineering team to successfully execute on design by being proactive and propositional with solutions.
You will be joining the Industrial Design team at a pivotal stage in the company’s growth. With your help, we will build a design-led organization with a reputation for thoughtful, innovative and delightful solutions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Create and maintain high-quality CAD models of the design intent with Class-A surfacing in parametric software; either Creo or Solidworks.
- Work directly with the Industrial Design team to translate design concepts into CAD models built for manufacturing.
- Sound understanding of manufacturing processes and limitations, with experience working with both plastics and metals.
- Work directly between ID and ME teams to incorporate B-side engineering, internal components and mechanical constraints into the design intent of the ID team.
- Liaise with our partners in Asia, leading conversations with supplier teams to help drive rapid development and prototyping of concepts.
- Demonstrate a sensitivity to design, being able to take ideas from the ID team and provide solutions that preserve ID intent.
- Able to absorb user needs, technical limitations, mechanical engineering, and business objectives into design considerations.
- Possess an understanding and appreciation for the product development process.
- Demonstrate a deep empathy with end users, and a history of designing for people unlike yourself.
- Help facilitate creative collaboration across the company and with our suppliers beyond.
- Have strong visual presentation skills with ability to verbally pitch, ideate, review and handle constructive critique.
- Develop and maintain a consistent visual design language across a family of products.
- Domestic travel to Utah typically required for a few days every couple of weeks if not based locally.
- Some international travel to Asia is expected.
- 5+ years of relevant experience.
- An excellent portfolio demonstrating examples of thoughtful products taken through to manufacturing and mass production. Portfolio should share examples of surface models, 3D, and part detailing to prove suitability for this role.
What to Do Next: Please attach your resume, cover letter and include links to your portfolio or other social presence. If you want to show your super powers in other ways – include that information too. You can be sure that Cricut® is an employer who values individuality, equality and diversity, so tell us what you’re all about. If you are a Maker or a DIY enthusiast, whether you think you are a good one or not, we would love to hear about it when you send us your information.
Cricut® is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. This position is contingent on successfully completing a Criminal Background Check upon hire. Cricut participates in E-Verify.