Senior Data Engineer
- 29 Brandon Street, Wellington Central, Wellington 6011, New Zealand
- Employees can work remotely
- Department: Retail
Te Tākinatanga - Our Story
Ko tō mātou kaupapa nui ko te tuku atu i tō mātou pūngao ki te wāhi e tika ana, kia whakahaukino kore ai i te rāngai pūngao o Aotearoa me te whakatairanga atu i te #changematters. E kaingākau ana mātou mō tō mātou whāinga matua, ā, e whakahīhī ana anō mātou i te iwi tangata kei muri i a mātou e whaiwhai ana i te whāinga kotahi. Nā runga i tēnei whāinga teitei, tērā pea ka ui ake koe ki a koe anō--ka pēhea tēnei āheinga e tautoko ana i tētehi Aotearoa pai ake, Aotearoa mā ake?
Our purpose is to put our energy where it matters, to decarbonise the New Zealand energy sector and promote #changematters. We are passionate about our mission and proud to have a tribe of people behind us working towards a common purpose. With such an ambitious goal, you might ask yourself – how does this opportunity help support a better, cleaner NZ?
Contact is transforming its business with a data-first focus on operational excellence, enabling our team to do their best. Delivering this transformation will require Contact to strengthen its technology, data, and delivery capabilities, adopt new ways of working and shape its culture for greater agility, innovation, and customer obsession
Kōrero mō te tūranga - About the role
We are on a journey to lift our organisational data capability to enable our people to do what they do best – deliver amazing customer experiences, create growth, and increase the value of our business. You’ll be part of a data team working with business stakeholders to deliver these outcomes.
You’ll work in a data product squad to design, build and deliver beautiful data products and insights to our business, collaborating with our technical leads, the broader data team and business stakeholders.
Here’s some other aspects to the opportunity.
- Be a leader in the team ensuring our platform standards and practices are followed,
- Recommend ways to improve data developer experience and support practice changes
- Coach/mentor less experienced team members in your squad and across the data practice
- Identify and share opportunities to use data for improved decision making and operational processes with product owners and other stakeholders
Ko wai koe - About you
We’re really big on collaboration so this type of environment will suit you well. You're a problem solver at heart who embraces challenging problems in the data world. Additionally, you’ll be unfazed by a fast-changing complex environment and have a passion for continuous improvement and delivering the right solution for our business.
Here’s some technical skills we’ll be searching for in your application; (i.e., when have you…)
- Designed and deployed data pipelines and solutions in complex environments, including emerging data technologies
- Applied critical thinking skills to identify and resolve data and platform issues
- Data transformation (ELT/ETL) using a range of structured and unstructured sources to create data that works for a variety of use cases
- Used source code control (Git) and extensive knowledge of the SDLC and contemporary tools, practices, and expectations
- Open-source data and cloud platforms/services, preferably AWS, Spark
- Programming, preferably Python
- Additional skills and experience are highly beneficial, including e.g., DataOps, windows/Linux administration and security.
He mea nui ngā paki kōrero ki a mātou i Contact, nā reira, mēnā kei a koe tētehi e hāngai pea ana ki tā mātou e kimi nei i tēnei tūranga kei raro iho nei--kei te hiahia mātou kia whakapā mai ai koe!
We are big on stories here at Contact, so if you have one that you think might align with what we are looking for in the role below – we would love to hear from you!
Note: one of our values is curiosity; please demonstrate how you have been curious in previous roles.
Contact Energy is committed to being an inclusive employer. We want people to be themselves, after all, they can't be anyone else!
Please note, only candidates with the right to live and work in New Zealand will be considered for this role.