Vice President, Engineering
ConnectDER (www.ConnectDER.com) represents the next generation in US-based grid technology product development. Our flagship product, the Smart ConnectDER, is a plug-and-play interface for rapidly connecting residential solar photovoltaic systems and EV chargers to the grid and managing them using embedded telemetry and communications.
We’re a 40+ employee, venture-backed company with a planned rapid growth trajectory and a robust product development schedule. We’re looking to connect with talented individuals who are ready to deliver innovative, quality service that drives our mission to empower utilities and their customers with tools that radically enhance the value of clean grid edge resources.
At ConnectDER we know that a diverse, equal, and inclusive workplace is a key to our success. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, family status, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, neuro-diversity, disability, age, or veteran status, or any other non-merit based or legally protected grounds.
All employees receive access to comprehensive benefits including:
- Health, vision, and dental insurance - we cover 75% for employees, spouses, and children.
- Flexible paid time off – take the time off that you need.
- 401K with company match – we want to help you meet your future financial goals.
- Equity stock options - your opportunity to share in the success of the company.
- Professional development stipend – continue to learn and grow while you work with us.
The VP, Engineering will lead and manage the engineering development for all products and teams. This includes managing and mentoring the Engineering Teams in their day-to-day roles in bringing complex products to life, as well as high level strategic guidance in product roadmap to define and create the future of technology products for ConnectDER. This role will be for the key leader on the technology team, working with a multidisciplinary team to bring new technical products to market.
** This is an on-site role with flexibility to work remotely ~1 day per week. Candidates should be located within a reasonable commuting distance to our Philadelphia office.
- Provide strategic direction and recommendations for complex, highly technical products that will require iteration and scale over time
- Engage with all other relevant technical teams including Product & Experience, Project Involvement in the business, strategic, and feasibility analysis of related products, technologies, and potential partner relationships
- Organize, maintain, and be responsible for the technical product roadmap
- Consider the entire ecosystem while making decisions, from technical implications to business needs, time to market, engineering trade-offs, and more
- Develop and implement sound engineering processes, aligned with a stage gate framework.
- Identify, implement and maintain engineering development tools and systems.
- Lead, manage, and mentor all Engineering Cross Functional Development Teams. These include: Mechanical, Electrical, Firmware. Systems Engineering, Compliance, QA and Test Engineering teams
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
WHO YOU ARE
PASSION – you thrive on creativity and invention and you understand how your work can impact the greater good.
ACCOUNTABILITY – people can count on you to do what you say, to take ownership of your performance, and to work hard to accomplish your goals.
INTEGRITY – you act with sound judgment, honesty, dependability, and consistency.
INCLUSION – you create an environment which fosters authenticity, diversity, innovation, collaboration, and respect.
ENTREPRENEURIAL – you enjoy working in a continuously evolving environment where everyone’s contribution is valued and essential.
MISSION-DRIVEN – you’re excited about renewable energy and you have a passion for clean technology.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or related field. Master’s Degree preferred.
- Experience designing and manufacturing electronic and electro-mechanical products
- Strong project management skill set, Agile exposure is a major plus
- Technical knowledge in engineering including software, firmware and hardware development
- Experience implementing engineering tools and systems
- Experience directing and mentoring cross-disciplinary engineering teams in design and engineering best practices
- Experience running complex projects with multidisciplinary teams (Software, Hardware, Firmware, Mechanical, Electrical, Quality, Sustaining, etc.)
- Experience with all aspects of new product development, from design inception to mass production, including PCB layout, prototyping, circuit debugging, design validation, electro-mechanical packaging, thermal management, and end-product testing
- Experience designing products in a development gate process
- Experience building strong, effective and productive teams
- Experience leading a start-up technology through business growth and maturation.
- 10+ year experience in product development in the Distributed Energy Resources, Smart Grid, Grid Edge industry
- 5+ year experience in product development for Electric Utilities.
- 10+ year experience developing products for regulated industries (UL, CSA, ANSI, NEC, NFPA)
- Experience bringing products from concepts to commercialization
- Experience in small scale to high volume manufacturing
- 15+ years product development experience with a proven record of successfully launching new products.
- Technical Expertise
- Leadership and Management
- Problem Solving and Decision Making
- Communication and Collaboration
- Team Building and Talent Development
- Business Acumen
Work Environment/Physical Demands: Must have the ability to work on a computer for extended periods of time with or without accommodation.
To apply, please submit your resume. Applications without a resume will not be considered.
Don’t meet all the requirements listed above? Research shows that members of historically underrepresented groups don’t typically apply for jobs unless they meet 100% of the requirements. We are dedicated to building a diverse workforce and if this job interests you, we encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every bullet point.
ConnectDER is committed to developing a barrier-free recruitment process and work environment. If you require any accommodation during the application and interview process, please email us at careers @ connectder.com (no spaces) and we’ll work with you to meet your accessibility needs.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.