Director of Electrical Engineering
ConnectDER (www.ConnectDER.com) represents the next generation in US-based grid technology product development. Our flagship product, the Smart ConnectDER, is a plug-and-play interface for rapidly connecting residential solar photovoltaic systems and EV chargers to the grid and managing them using embedded telemetry and communications.
We’re a 30+ employee, venture-backed company with a planned rapid growth trajectory and a robust product development schedule. We’re looking to connect with talented individuals who are ready to deliver innovative, quality service that drives our mission to empower utilities and their customers with tools that radically enhance the value of clean grid edge resources.
At ConnectDER we know that a diverse, equal, and inclusive workplace is a key to our success. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, family status, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, neuro-diversity, disability, age, or veteran status, or any other non-merit based or legally protected grounds.
TITLE: Director of Electrical Engineering
LOCATION: Philadelphia, PA (Hybrid)
BASE COMPENSATION: $150,000 - $160,000 annually + bonus potential
BENEFITS: All employees receive access to our health insurance plan (we cover 75% for employees, spouses, and children), unlimited paid time off, 401K with company match, and equity stock options.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As our Director of Electrical Engineering, you’ll manage, mentor, and develop a team of Electrical Engineers tasked with developing embedded systems for our Solar and EV interconnection devices.
- Product Design - hands-on design activities including: explore new technologies and components, low-frequency analog and power-supply design, microcontrollers and firmware architecture, schematic and PCB design. This will require 30-50% of your time.
- Project Management - Assign and coordinate tasks among the engineers. Establish good design, review, and documentation practices. Monitor regulatory requirements and testing.
- Mentoring - Encourage growth and advancement of the individual team members.
- Customer Interaction - Define product requirements, manage milestones, resolve unexpected problems.
- Support Corporate Goals - coordinate with the VP Engineering and other departments to identify new opportunities and to translate new product concepts into feasible design requirements.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
WHO YOU ARE
PASSION – you thrive on creativity and invention and you understand how your work can impact the greater good.
ACCOUNTABILITY – people can count on you to do what you say, to take ownership of your performance, and to work hard to accomplish your goals.
INTEGRITY – you act with sound judgment, honesty, dependability, and consistency.
INCLUSION – you create an environment which fosters authenticity, diversity, innovation, collaboration, and respect.
ENTREPRENEURIAL – you enjoy working in a continuously evolving environment where everyone’s contribution is valued and essential.
You’re mission-driven and passionate about renewable energy and clean tech. Your experience includes design process implementation, digital and analog design and you’ve worked with utilities and/or DERs. You’re an excellent communicator with strong leadership and organizational skills. You’re eager to share your wisdom, technical knowledge, and experience with developing engineers.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- Bachelor’s degree in Electronic Engineering or Electronics, or equivalent experience
- At least 10 years of experience in the following areas:
- Low-frequency Analog Circuit Design (power supplies, audio, sensors)
- Embedded Systems Design (processor selection, firmware coding in C, C++, and/or RTOS)
- Process and Systems management. Design Reviews, SOPs, ECNs, ERP, etc
- At least three years of experience managing direct reports
- Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering or Electronics
- PCB Design (Altium preferred)
- Interaction with UL, FCC, or other regulatory agencies (automotive, military, medical)
- Embedded communication systems (cell-modems, IoT, etc)
- Interdisciplinary team coordination (Mfg, Procurement, QA, Product Management, etc)
- Knowledge of Solar/EV marketplace
Work Environment/Physical Demands: Must have the ability to work on a computer for extended periods of time with or without accommodation.
ConnectDER is committed to developing a barrier-free recruitment process and work environment. If you require any accommodation during the application and interview process, please email us at careers @ connectder.com (no spaces) and we’ll work with you to meet your accessibility needs.
Don’t meet all the requirements listed above? Research shows that members of historically underrepresented groups don’t typically apply for jobs unless they meet 100% of the requirements. We are dedicated to building a diverse workforce and if this job interests you, we encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every bullet point.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.