Sous Chef - Toronto
- Toronto, ON, Canada
Compass Group Canada is the leading food service and support services company in Canada with over 25,000 associates and $1.45 billion in revenues. Our vision for growth and success is a powerful one, to combine fresh ideas with the industry’s greatest talent -- Great People, Great Service, Great Results!
The Sous Chef is responsible for the service and experience of the operation. Motivates, trains, develops and directs team members to deliver exceptional service and accomplish daily goals and projects. This position oversees the daily administrative and operational tasks, including financial management and analysis, sanitation and safety.
The Sous Chef will focus on innovative hospitality and creating the cafe experience for the Google Food program in order to support operational excellence. This position reports into the Senior Executive Chef and will leverage their strong hospitality and operational skills to partner with key stakeholders (culinary, nutrition, marketing, behavioral science, concept development, procurement, risk management, operations and people approach) to promote with standards, Google Food expectations and enhance user (partner) experience.
The great things you will be expected to do:
- Designs, manages and owns the overall experience, not just the offerings
- Sets an expectation of hospitality that is friendly and engaging
- Has a Passion for quality food preparation and taste.
- Trains and develops team members
- Ensures employee reviews, coaching sessions, and disciplinary actions are delivered in a professional and timely manner
- Meets all timelines for payroll, service, accounts receivables, human resources, corporate office and all other time lines given by our partner and management
- Ensures that all hiring and training standards are met and documented for direct hires, including but not limited to new hire packet, employee/manager handbook sign off sheet, fact training completion, and safety training
- Works with Executive Chef to ensure all sector and Compass employee guidelines are implemented and adhered to
- Promotes a culture of Food and Workplace Safety
- Treats everyone with professionalism, care and respect
- Responds to all comments and complaints within 24 hours and follows up with
- a written or verbal response
- Communicates with the our partner honestly, accurately and in a timely manner
- Works with General Manager and Chef to work within budget while maintaining standards
Bachelor's degree is preferred, or equivalent professional experience
Has a minimum of 3 years food service operation supervision experience
Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
Strong passion for great food and hospitality
General culinary knowledge of basic kitchen practices, protocols and procedures
Manages time effectively and prioritizes tasks to meet deadlines
Ability to follow all Health & Safety standards
Demonstrates good judgement and decision making skills
Maintain a positive attitude under pressure and motivate team
Working knowledge of Google Docs, Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
Ability to work independently as well as in a team
Ability to work in a fast paced, changing environment
Physical and Language Requirements:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to;
Stand, talk or hear, and taste or smell.
Walk, use hands or fingers, handle or feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
Specific vision abilities required
Ability to read, understand and speak English to perform essential functions of the job
Leadership behaviors (Compass internal values)
Think fast, use technology - Finds new/quicker ways of meeting goals, shows conviction in own judgement and decisions and responds quickly under pressure
Openly share and co-create – Delegates tasks to develop others
Passion for Quality – Takes personal responsibility for correcting customer service problems, consistently sets demanding performance expectations and sets priorities to maximise benefits
Win through Teamwork – Pursues friendly relationships with colleagues, shares own knowledge and insight and displays a high level of energy and commitment to the organisation
Embrace Diversity – Listens to others and values their contributions, receptive to new and builds on ideas and acts in ethical and socially responsible manner.
Takes Responsibility and making the big calls – Uses the right influencing techniques to gain the necessary commitment and support from others, both internally and externally
Taking the responsible approach to business
Thank you for your interest in a career with Compass Group!
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We will consider your resume for additional opportunities.
Compass Group Canada is committed to fostering a diverse and representative workforce and an inclusive work environment where all employees are treated fairly and equitably which includes providing accommodation. Health, Safety, Environment and Quality (HSEQ) is also an operational priority. Safeguarding the health and safety of our people and customers is essential to the success of our business.
Learn more about us at www.compass-canada.com!