Adjunct Associate Faculty, Applied Analytics Frameworks & Methods I (On-Campus, Fall '21)
- New York, NY, USA
- Program: Applied Analytics
- Role: Associate, Part-time
- Course Modality: On Campus
- Employee Job Category: Faculty Job
- Academic Program: APAN
- Term: 2021 FALL
- Division: Masters
- Department: Applied Analytics
Columbia University has been a leader in higher education in the nation and around the world for more than 250 years. At the core of our wide range of academic inquiry is the commitment to attract and engage the best minds in pursuit of greater human understanding, pioneering new discoveries, and service to society.
The School of Professional Studies at Columbia University offers innovative and rigorous programs that integrate knowledge across disciplinary boundaries, combine theory with practice, leverage the expertise of our students and faculty, and connect global constituencies. Through seventeen professional master's degrees, courses for advancement and graduate school preparation, certificate programs, summer courses, high school programs, and a program for learning English as a second language, the School of Professional Studies transforms knowledge and understanding in service of the greater good.
The School of Professional Studies seeks a data analytics professional to serve as a part-time Associate for a graduate-level course called Applied Analytics Frameworks & Methods I.
- The world is generating data at an even faster pace via business transactions, online searches, social media activities, and various sensors. The ready availability of vast amounts of data creates opportunities to predict outcomes and explain phenomena across a wide range of domains from medicine to business to even space exploration. Supervised learning techniques are being extensively used to make useful predictions and generate insights to tackle problems. These predictive analysis techniques focus on this course, guiding students through the data-wrangling process, starting with data exploration and other foundational approaches. The course then covers an array of supervised learning techniques, including linear regression, decision trees, and support vector machines. Students also have the opportunity to challenge themselves in applying and combining the techniques they have learned through a predictive analytics competition.
An Associate is a faculty line junior to a Lecturer that provides subject matter expertise and supports the instructional process for a course section. Serving as an Associate is an outstanding way to gain exposure to graduate-level teaching at Columbia University.
- Attend all class sessions, assist with instruction, lead breakout sessions, facilitate discussions.
- Evaluate, grade student work and assessments as requested by the course Lecturer.
- Monitor and address student concerns and inquiries.
Columbia University SPS operates under a scholar-practitioner faculty model, which enables students to learn from faculty possessing outstanding academic training as well as a record of accomplishment as practitioners in an applied industry setting.
- Graduate degree in an area related to data science, applied analytics, statistics, or another quantitative discipline.
- Proficient in R programming.
- 3+ years of professional experience in a role involving applied analytics.
Preferred Skills & Experience
- Knowledge of theories and practical application of machine learning.
- University teaching experience.
Please submit a resume inclusive of university teaching experience.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.