Adjunct Associate Faculty, Applied Text & Natural Language Analytics (On-Campus, Fall'21)
- New York, NY, USA
- Program: Applied Analytics
- Role: Associate, Part-time
- Course Modality: On Campus
- Employee Job Category: Faculty Job
- Academic Program: APAN
- Term: 2021 FALL
- Division: Masters
- Department: Applied Analytics
Columbia University has been a leader in higher education in the nation and around the world for more than 250 years. At the core of our wide range of academic inquiry is the commitment to attract and engage the best minds in pursuit of greater human understanding, pioneering new discoveries, and service to society.
The School of Professional Studies at Columbia University offers innovative and rigorous programs that integrate knowledge across disciplinary boundaries, combine theory with practice, leverage the expertise of our students and faculty, and connect global constituencies. Through seventeen professional master's degrees, courses for advancement and graduate school preparation, certificate programs, summer courses, high school programs, and a program for learning English as a second language, the School of Professional Studies transforms knowledge and understanding in service of the greater good.
The School of Professional Studies is seeking data analytics professionals to serve as a part-time Associate for a graduate level on-campus course called Applied Text & Natural Language Analytics. The course covers a range of basic and advanced topics in applied text analytics and natural language processing (NLP), such as tokenization, stemming and lemmatization, information extraction, information retrieval, topic modeling, and sentiment analysis.
An Associate is a faculty line junior to a Lecturer, that provides subject matter expertise and supports the instructional process for a course section. Serving as an Associate is an outstanding way to gain exposure to graduate level teaching at Columbia University.
- Attend all on-campus class sessions, assist with instruction, lead breakout sessions, facilitate discussions.
- Evaluate, grade student work and assessments as requested by the course Lecturer.
- Monitor and address student concerns and inquiries.
Columbia University SPS operates under a scholar-practitioner faculty model, which enables students to learn from faculty possessing outstanding academic training as well as a record of accomplishment as practitioners in an applied industry setting.
- M.S. in Computer Science, Computational Linguistics, Statistics, Engineering or other quantitative discipline
- Proficient in Python programming
- 3+ years of professional experience in a role involving applied text analytics
Preferred Skills & Experience
- Strong theoretical and practical expertise in natural language processing and machine learning
- Prior graduate-level university teaching experience
Please submit a resume inclusive of university teaching experience.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.