Adjunct Associate Faculty, Applied Analytics Capstone course (Online, Fall '19)
- 2875 Broadway, New York, NY 10025, USA
Columbia University has been a leader in higher education in the nation and around the world for more than 250 years. At the core of our wide range of academic inquiry is the commitment to attract and engage the best minds in pursuit of greater human understanding, pioneering new discoveries, and service to society.
The School of Professional Studies at Columbia University offers innovative and rigorous programs that integrate knowledge across disciplinary boundaries, combine theory with practice, leverage the expertise of our students and faculty, and connect global constituencies. Through fourteen professional master's degrees, courses for advancement and graduate school preparation, certificate programs, summer courses, high school programs, and a program for learning English as a second language, the School of Professional Studies transforms knowledge and understanding in service of the greater good.
Columbia University, School of Professional Studies (SPS) seeks candidates to serve as a part-time Associates to participate on the faculty team for a graduate level Capstone course: Solving Real World Problems with Analytics. This course is the culminating experience for graduate students in our Applied Analytics Master of Science degree program. Students apply their academic learning to a real-world challenge by participating in a consulting engagement with a leading corporate or institutional project sponsor. Capstone sponsors span industry sectors including finance, healthcare, consumer retail, digital media, non-profit. Sponsors include large global companies, startups, and nonprofits.
An Associate is a faculty role that is junior to Lecturer. The position offers a great way for successful experienced industry professionals to gain exposure to graduate level instructional practices at Columbia University.
- Attend all class sessions. Weekly instructional sessions will be held on one of the following: Wed 6-8 PM, Thurs 6-8 PM, Thurs 8-10 PM.
- Serve as a mentor and coach to students and a liaison with corporate project sponsors. Participate in meetings with sponsor companies & student project team.
- Monitor and address student concerns and inquiries.
- Conduct weekly office hours.
- Evaluate, grade student work and assessments as requested by section Lecturer.
Columbia University SPS operates under a scholar-practitioner faculty model, which enables students to learn from faculty that have outstanding academic training as well as a record of accomplishment as practitioners in an applied industry setting.
- Masters degree, with preference for a doctorate, in an academic area related to Applied Analytics.
- Skilled with a variety of analytical methods.
- Strong techical skills - must be proficient with R programming.
- 3+ years of professional experience in roles related to applied analytics.
Preferred Skills & Experience
- Proficieny with Python and Java strongly preferred.
- Consulting experience, working with either external or internal clients.
- University teaching experience.
- Please submit a resume inclusive of university teaching experience.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.