IT Technician II
- Colby Community College, Colby, KS, us
Colby Community College is located in Northwest Kansas, approximately 50 miles from the Nebraska and Colorado borders. From a humble beginning of the 99 students in 1964, CCC now serves more than 1900 students annually.
In addition to an 80-acre main campus, CCC has a 60-acre farm used as a hands-on laboratory and training facility. The college also accommodates hundreds of off-campus students at 24 locations in the 14-county service area through face-to-face, online, and hybrid courses.
A number of studies conclude CCC is a solid educational investment. Colby has a strong history of student performance, including the highest graduation rate among all Kansas community colleges.
Colby Community College is accepting applications for the position of IT Technician (Level II).
The Client Support Specialist (Level II) will split time between Help Desk intake, resolving client support issues at the first and second technician levels, and working remote sessions and service calls in the field. The technician will also take requests for new classroom equipment, handle the replacement process, inventory, and provide telecom support.
- Provide 1st and 2nd tier support over the phone, email, walk-ins, field and remote desktop technical support under the coordination of the IT Director (target 75% or greater resolution for first-contact)
- Resolve Level I and II support issues in the field or via remote assistance
- Provide support and troubleshoot for Shoretel PBX and Shoretel VOIP phones
- Act as the first point of contact during the escalation of urgent support requests from the IT Help Desk, either responding to resolve the request or escalating to IT Tier III Technology staff technicians
- Work with IT Director to escalate trouble tickets to IT Tier 3 Technicians and or engineers, depending on the support needs of the end user.
- Open trouble tickets for end users reporting various problems
- Input and maintain detailed, accurate data in trouble tickets for purposes of tracking, escalating and reporting issues
- Monitor and follow-up on end-user emails, IT Helpdesk tickets, and voicemail requests
- Advise end users, as appropriate, of status updates relative to individual trouble tickets, system outages and other network related conditions
- The technician will also take requests for new classroom technology, request quotes, log and assign classroom help requests and handle distribution of equipment
- Quickly identify and communicate to the appropriate parties that individual user issues may be indicative of a more significant problem (server down, network outage, etc.).
- The technician handles inventory, deployment, and or replacement and retrieval of the campus IT assets. Transfer data, deploy, setup and demo new IT technology and assist to staff and faculty employees in a timely and very customer friendly manner.
- Identify and communicate internal support issues as part of the process to improve customer service
- Serve as a resource for student assistants and new technicians while providing constructive and positive feedback to applicable managers
- Coordinate training of student assistants for essentials phone support service and computer troubleshooting
- Participate in various projects to expand the support knowledge base and skill set.
- Work with additional IT Technicians on projects and testing as time permits. Target is about 25% of the time, although this will vary with service volume.
- Provide weekly report to the manager on project progress and highlighting any accomplishments or challenges.
- Assist in the creation of departmental operating guidelines, procedures, and documentation
- Support POS and credit card terminals while adhering to PCI Compliance
- Other related duties as assigned.
$18.00-$19.00, depending on experience and certifications.
Flexible benefits program which includes: options for single and family health and dental coverage, life insurance, reimbursement accounts, sick leave and vacation leave allowances. Participation in state retirement program required.
Priority deadline is June 11. Open until filled. To apply, submit a letter of application, resume, all postsecondary transcripts and references to:
Colby Community College
ATTN: Human Resources
1255 S. Range Ave.
Colby, KS 67701
Materials may be emailed to hr(at)colbycc.edu.
Associate degree with focus in computer science or technical certificate from accredited institution required.
Work Experience and Minimum Requirements:
- Must have the “bug” and absolutely love technology
- Must excel at telephone and direct customer interactions
- Excellent listening and communication skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Able to excel in a very busy environment
- Understand the importance of documentation
- Willing to learn all aspects of initial PC and network troubleshooting
- Strong customer service skills
- Must possess excellent interpersonal communication and organizational skills.
- Two to three years experience in help desk, computer lab, or call center support position
- Experience in network and server support concepts, including Windows and Linux server installation and troubleshooting, network login process and user account authentication, and TCP /IP and Active Directory administration tools
- Demonstrates patience when problem-solving complex technical issues, over the phone and in person, with diverse customers
- Energetic, self-directed, motivated and professional individual who thrives in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Must have technical skills set to troubleshoot and resolve technical service calls. This includes knowledge (or familiarity) of the following: GoogleApps Suite, Windows 10, Macintosh OS 10.x and above, Microsoft Office Suite 2016/2011( MAC ), Microsoft Office 365, MS Outlook and Outlook Express, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer, basic file server administration, basic print server administration, network connectivity issues, TCP /IP troubleshooting and other Ethernet/Remote Access issues.
- Proficient in desktop imaging and deployment tools concepts
- Proficient in integrating desktop security for public access machines hardening Windows policy settings.
- Able to learn and support new applications quickly
- Resolve basic telephone and network-related issues
- Ability to interact with all levels of an organization in a professional, diplomatic and tactful manner
- Ability to work productively in cross-functional teams or resourcefully and independently as an individual
- Ability to lift moderately heavy equipment (e.g., Servers, Monitors, Printers, etc.)
- Able to work on the weekend or with modified shifts
- Knowledgeable with Shoretel PBX phones system
- Additional Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- ITIL v3 Foundation Certification is a plus
- HDI Support Analyst Certification is a plus
- HP, Dell, and Apple Hardware Repair Certifications is a plus
CCC is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversifying its work force and encourages applications from women, members of minority groups, individuals with disabilities and veterans. The successful candidate for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.