Associate Scientist II, Cellular Immuno-Oncology
- 500 Technology Square, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Codiak is the leader in the emerging field of exosome therapeutics, working to harness the power of this cellular messenger system to create potentially life-changing medicines. A venture-backed startup founded in 2015, Codiak has rapidly built a proprietary technology platform for exosome engineering and manufacturing that allows for precise targeting of important molecular pathways, opening the door to the development of therapies for cancer and other diseases. Led by an experienced and dedicated team, Codiak has at its foundation a positive and collaborative culture that is deeply rooted in cutting edge science and promotes opportunity for growth.
The Research Associate, Cellular Immuno-Oncology will support the development of exosome-based therapies that address significant unmet medical needs in oncology, autoimmunity, and infectious diseases. Responsibilities include designing and executing a variety of molecular and cellular immunology assays to evaluate innate and adaptive immune responses to engineered exosomes. This position will involve the close coordination of efforts with scientists in immunology, molecular biology, cell line development, and in vivo pharmacology, as well as participation in experimental design and execution, data generation, and analysis. The candidate will be responsible for communication of findings to the research team and active participation in project teams. We are developing a novel therapeutic platform, and the successful candidate will have the opportunity to join us on this exciting journey.
- Collaborate with internal teams to perform cellular immunology experiments to evaluate exosome-induced immune responses
- Isolate, sort, culture, and characterize primary immune cells from human and animal blood and tissues
- Assist and conduct cell-based assay development and optimization using both primary immune cells and cell lines
- Assist in the development and validation of cellular models to verify target engagement of therapeutic exosomes
- Deliver high-quality data to inform all stages of drug discovery
- Execute, troubleshoot, and optimize standard protocols, and survey scientific literature to inform the development of additional assays as needed
- Operate and maintain laboratory equipment and instrumentation
- Document experimental results in electronic laboratory notebook and written reports
- Participate in, and present at, research group and project team meetings
- Prepare and order necessary reagents, solutions, consumables and other laboratory supplies
- Comply with laboratory safety procedures
- Other duties as required.
Education & Experience
· College graduate with a minimum of 2 years of relevant experience. Industry (pharma/biotech) experience with an immunology background is highly desirable.
Skills & Abilities
· Passionate about scientific discovery, self-motivated, and eager to learn new skills and contribute to the success of the organization;
· Strong work ethic and attention to detail
· Exceptional organizational, communication, and critical thinking skills, and the ability to thrive in an interdependent and idea-rich environment;
· Extensive cell culture experience
· Basic understanding of Immunology and the function of various immune cells
· Experience in primary immune cell isolation and culture;
· Experience with common immunologic techniques, such as immune cell activation, proliferation, cytokine profiling, and reporter assays;
· Hands-on experience with flow cytometry
Compensation & Benefits
Codiak provides competitive compensation and benefits package that support and reward the contributions of each member of the team.
Forward Engineering on Nature’s Messenger System
Recent discoveries have demonstrated that exosomes derived from normal cells can act as a potent and safe delivery system for multiple therapeutic payloads. These small vesicles, which leave cells and travel throughout the body, can mediate dramatic effects in animal models of disease.
We are developing a broad platform for the delivery of macromolecules to the cytoplasm of diverse cells and tissues, to create a proprietary pipeline of novel, targeted medicines for diseases with high unmet medical need. The company’s technology exploits the natural propensity of exosomes to transmit macromolecule payloads between cells to create a pipeline of drugs across a broad range of diseases, including those associated with currently “undruggable” targets. While our initial focus is on oncology/immuno-oncology, this approach also offers significant potential in hematology, neurology and gene therapy and other therapy areas.
We are now producing drug candidate exosomes using the engExTM platform, our novel therapeutic engine for exosomes. We tailor exosomes to express molecules on their surfaces and/or deliver specific cargo inside. This affords us the flexibility for designing proprietary drug candidates; exosomes can be mixed and matched into rational and targeted combinations with the potential for a broad therapeutic platform.
As of December 2017, Codiak has raised a combined $168.5M in Series A-C financing. The company maintains partnerships with academic exosome labs and has multiple paths to clinical and commercial success through the breadth of the company’s research, strength of its IP position and proprietary innovation behind its production capabilities.
Inspired Employees Create Great Science
Codiak’s CEO and first employee Doug Williams, Ph.D., (former EVP of Biogen R&D, CEO of ZymoGenetics) espouses the belief that inspired employees create great science. Employees treat the company as if it was their own and report that there is “direct and respectful communication,” and “trust that teammates will do the right thing and never compromise integrity.”
Named one of 11 disruptive startups “on a do-or-die mission to launch new meds” by Endpoints News in January 2018, Codiak is in the heart of Boston’s biotechnology hub at 500 Technology Square in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
Codiak BioSciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race; color; creed; religion; national origin; age; ancestry; nationality; marital, domestic partnership or civil union status; sex, gender, gender identity or expression; affectional or sexual orientation; disability; veteran or military status or liability for military status.