Data Engineer - Climate Tech - Python
- Berlin, Germany
- Employees can work remotely
We are a climate tech startup on a mission to drive climate action through data and insight. Our team of entrepreneurs, technologists, and scientists, who joined us from Google, MIT, PIK Potsdam and other backgrounds are building a tech platform to empower organisations to take action in tackling the climate crisis. We are building an open-data solution for developers to automatically measure greenhouse gas emissions and consequently act upon robust data and insight. Our flexible tracking API can be integrated into software that businesses already use to accurately calculate and continuously monitor greenhouse gas emissions.
We are headquartered in Berlin and backed by renowned international VCs and advisors in the climate-tech and software sector. As a remote-first company, the team is split up between Berlin and the rest of Europe.
This is an amazing time to join Climatiq. Be part of real, technology-driven endeavour from the beginning. Work with an amazing team and help build something meaningful together with our community.
We are looking for an experienced Data Engineer with a focus on data architecture, infrastructure and automation. Reporting to the CTO and working across our Engineering, Science and Data teams, you are passionate about building a scalable data infrastructure which is at the heart of our mission to tackle the climate crisis. We are looking for self-driven engineers who bring fresh ideas and are able to develop a product autonomously in a collaborative environment.
We use the latest technologies, like Rust, TypeScript and NextJS applications, and Python for data processing. We prioritise high scalability and development ergonomics and collaborate using GitHub.
- Own data engineering, architecture, modelling, and data workflows
- Design and implement a scalable data infrastructure
- Automate and optimise data workflows, including data ingress, normalisation and QA
- Design and implement machine learning models based on consumption and GHG emission factor data using NLP, semantic analysis or other relevant methodologies
- 4+ years of experience in data engineering, architecture, modelling, data pipelines, data extraction and processing
- Proficiency with Python (especially NumPy, pandas, Jupyter notebooks) for data processing
- Practical experience with maintaining complex data sets and data processing applications
- Attention to detail, ability to work in cross-functional teams and collaborate
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, a related technical field, or equivalent practical experience
- Strong communication skills in English
- Experience with data orchestration tools
- Experience with implementing machine learning algorithms and building models using NLP/NER, semantic analysis and classification mapping
- Genuine interest in climate technology, sustainability, and a carbon-neutral economy
- Proactive, passionate and curious about solving big and complex problems
- Location: Berlin or Remote within +/- 2 hours of CET timezone
- Starting date: as soon as possible
- Hours: full-time, flexible working hours
Climatiq is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome and encourage candidates from all backgrounds and experiences to apply for roles on our team. Send us your CV and a short cover letter, highlighting your skills and experience, relevant for the role.