Mid-Senior Litigation & Dispute Resolution Associate
With more than 3,400 lawyers and 36 offices in 23 countries across five continents, Clifford Chance is one of the world’s pre-eminent law firms. Since its establishment in The Netherlands in 1972, Clifford Chance Amsterdam has held a leading position in the top segment of the Dutch legal market. It combines the firm's global quality standards with its in-depth expertise and network in the Dutch market and abroad. Today, clients come to Clifford Chance Amsterdam for complex work and innovative solutions, often in an international context. It is as well known for its domestic work as it is for its complex international transactions and the reach and resources of its international network. The firm stands for highly specialist advice, pragmatic and solution-driven guidance, and short, transparent lines of communication. There is much and close cooperation within each office and with other Clifford Chance offices around the world, in order to deliver carefully coordinated and integrated services.
About the Litigation & Dispute Resolution Practice
We have one of the world's leading litigation and dispute resolution practices specialising in complex, multi-jurisdictional litigation, international arbitration and regulatory investigations around the globe. Our team in Amsterdam is one of the country's top litigation and dispute resolution teams and has overseen many of the most complex court cases and arbitration in the market in recent years. The Litigation & Dispute Resolution practice group in Amsterdam focuses on financial, commercial, corporate and regulatory disputes. The RIFC practice (Regulatory Investigations and Financial Crime) is a fast growing, dynamic and versatile branch of the Amsterdam L&DR practice. There is intensive collaboration with the other practice groups within the office and with the Litigation & Dispute Resolution teams of the other Clifford Chance offices worldwide.
To find out more about what it is like to work in Clifford Chance in Amsterdam, please visit the link .
We are looking to expand our team with a talented and ambitious Litigation & Dispute Resolution Associate, with an interest in and/or experience in contentious regulatory matters, to join our leading and dynamic L&DR practice. We see a fit with a motivated lawyer who enjoys working on challenging cases, often with a cross-border element, within a close-knit and driven team that operates at an international top level. The role will suit someone who is proactive, analytical, and enthusiastic about the prospect of raising a growing practice to an even higher level with the ambition to make a career in it.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Assisting clients in contentious situations by advising them on their position and litigating or negotiating on their behalf.
- Drafting and reviewing legal documents that are clear, well-researched, a pleasure to read and convincing.
- Adopting a creative approach to come up with solutions for our clients' most pressing legal issues.
- Applying effective research techniques to offer sophisticated advice on complex legal matters.
- Challenging and testing advice against legal compliance and risks.
- Considering proactively and addressing a client's legal, strategical and reputation risks in a contentious situation.
- Being proactive in expanding legal knowledge to ensure technical expertise is up to date.
- Utilising client focus initiatives and monitoring service levels of client needs.
- Engaging with Knowledge resources effectively and collaborating in Knowledge initiatives for the Firm.
- Managing matters with a disciplined practice including timely timesheet submission and conflicts clearance processes.
- Adopting of Best Delivery tools: e.g. Legal tech tools, Legal Support Centre, Legal Project Management.
- Building and developing client relationships; pitching for new work and participating in business development activities.
- Educating and training junior members of the team.
- Approximately 3-6 years of experience as a lawyer in L&DR, eager to learn from our experienced L&DR lawyers and invest in his/her professional development.
- Experience in or interest in contentious regulatory matters, e.g. as (corporate) criminal law, administrative law, financial regulatory law, investigations, sanctions and export controls.
- A strong academic background and a Dutch law qualification.
- Excellent drafting and communication skills (written and verbal) and the ability to manage a varied workload.
- Excellent English language skills (oral and written).
- Strong technical skills and being comfortable researching and applying complex areas of law.
- Passion for the law, pleasure in being challenged in different types of cases, as well as the ambition to belong to the top of the profession are important drivers.
At Clifford Chance we understand that our true asset is our people. Inclusion is good for our team and their families, our firm and society.
We are committed to treating all employees and applicants fairly and equally regardless of their gender, gender identity and expression, marital or civil partnership status, race, colour, national or ethnic origin, social or economic background, disability, religious belief, sexual orientation, or age. This applies to recruitment and selection, terms and conditions of employment including pay, promotion, training, transfer and every other aspect of employment.
Our goal is to deliver an equality of opportunity, an equality of aspiration and an equality of experience to everyone who works in our firm. Find out more here.