Smart City Coordinator
A best-in-class city that attracts best-in-class talent, Philadelphia is an incredible place to build a career. From our thriving arts scene and rich history to our culture of passion and grit, there are countless reasons to love living and working here. With a workforce of over 30,000 people, and more than 1,000 different job categories, the City of Philadelphia offers boundless opportunities to make an impact.
As an employer, the City of Philadelphia values inclusion, integrity, innovation, empowerment, and hard work above all else. We offer a vibrant work environment, comprehensive health care and benefits, and the experience you need to grow and excel. If you’re interested in working with a passionate team of people who care about the future of Philadelphia, start here.
The Office of Innovation and Technology (OIT) oversees most major technology projects for the City of Philadelphia (CoP), ensures continuity of the City's technology operations, and finds new ways to help the public interact meaningfully with technology. OIT uses technology to help City employees do their work better and helps residents get what they need from municipal government.
What We Offer:
Impact - The work you do here matters to millions.
Growth - Philadelphia is growing, why not grow with it?
Diversity & Inclusion - Find a career in a place where everyone belongs
Benefits - We care about your well being
This position will support the Office of Innovation & Technology and the implementation of the City's SmartCityPHL plan. As a Smart City Coordinator, you will join a team responsible for enacting the City's SmartCityPHL roadmap and ensuring that its four guiding principles - locally-inspired, innovative, equitable, and collaborative - inform the work moving forward. You will work closely with the Innovation Management team at the Office of Innovation & Technology and report to the Smart City Director.
The Coordinator will play a supporting role, and at times leading role, for initiatives within the SmartCityPHL portfolio. This position will work collaboratively with other team members and departments to pilot, implement and scale up projects and programs that align with the priorities of the SmartCityPHL program and the City’s digital transformation. The role will provide the Coordinator with the opportunity to gain both operational and strategic experience as the SmartCityPHL program works to increase government efficiencies and improve quality of life for all residents.
As the Smart City Coordinator, some of your opportunities will include:
• Managing all aspects of implementation and execution of assigned pilots from procurement to tracking metrics, including supporting potential scale-up
• Developing, updating, and sustaining database of qualitative and quantitative metrics specific to assigned pilots
• Writing and/or coordinating award and grant applications for SmartCityPHL projects
• Supporting strategic development for the SmartCityPHL program
• Developing mechanisms to engage and notify SmartCityPHL network of opportunities and calls for solutions
• Engaging and cultivating network of Smart City contacts to help grow awareness of SmartCityPHL projects and efforts
• Coordinating with Smart City Director on a regular basis regarding details of projects and work to ensure awareness of project details, and alignment to SmartCityPHL principles and strategy.
Competencies, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Self-directed - you can prioritize your work and allocate time and resources effectively when given broad responsibility
• Collaborative - you interact well with others, can work with the team to make decisions, and believe that multiple perspectives strengthen a program
• Process-oriented - your attention to detail and process allows you to turn a concept into a working model
• Resilient - you have a sense of humor, can adapt quickly to setbacks, and understand that innovation does not always proceed as expected
· Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience required; graduate degree a plus
· Experience/knowledge with institutional procurement, contracting, and budget processes
· Experience/knowledge with the idea lifecycle process - soliciting, evaluating, refining, and implementing potential problem solutions
· Experience/knowledge with the start-up/entrepreneur/small business environment
· Experience/knowledge in effectively matching business processes with products and services
· Desire to work in a mission driven environment
Salary Range: $60,000 - $65,000
Did you know?
- We are a Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program qualified employer
- 25% tuition discount program for City employees (and sometimes spouses and dependents as well) in partnership with area colleges and universities
- We offer Comprehensive health coverage for employees and their eligible dependents
- Our wellness program offers eligibility into the discounted medical plan
- Employees receive paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays
- Generous retirement savings options are available
*The successful candidate must be a city of Philadelphia resident within six months of hire
Please note that effective September 1, 2021 the City of Philadelphia is requiring all new employees to present proof of vaccination against COVID-19.
The City of Philadelphia is an Equal Opportunity employer and does not permit discrimination based on race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, source of income, familial status, genetic information or domestic or sexual violence victim status. If you believe you were discriminated against, call the Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations at 215-686-4670 or send an email to faqpchr @phila.gov. For more information, go to: Human Relations Website: http://www.phila.gov/humanrelations/Pages/default.aspx