Program and Data Analyst
- 1515 Arch St, Philadelphia, PA 19102, USA
A best-in-class city that attracts best-in-class talent, Philadelphia is an incredible place to build a career. From our thriving arts scene and rich history to our culture of passion and grit, there are countless reasons to love living and working here. With a workforce of over 30,000 people, and more than 1,000 different job categories, the City of Philadelphia offers boundless opportunities to make an impact.
As an employer, the City of Philadelphia values inclusion, integrity, innovation, empowerment, and hard work above all else. We offer a vibrant work environment, comprehensive health care and benefits, and the experience you need to grow and excel. If you’re interested in working with a passionate team of people who care about the future of Philadelphia, start here.
What We Offer:
Impact - The work you do here matters to millions.
Growth - Philadelphia is growing, why not grow with it?
Diversity & Inclusion - Find a career in a place where everyone belongs.
Opportunities in Tech - Don’t wait for the future, shape it.
Benefits - We care about your well being.
The mission of the Department of Commerce is to ensure that Philadelphia is a globally competitive city to which employers flock, entrepreneurs thrive and innovation abounds; to recruit and retain a diverse set of businesses; to foster economic opportunities for all Philadelphians in all neighborhoods; and to partner with workforce development programs and local businesses on talent development ensuring that all Philadelphians can find and retain living-wage jobs. For more information about the Department of Commerce, visit www.phila.gov/commerce.
The Department of Commerce is seeking a civically-minded program and data analyst to oversee the Department’s needs related to database management, assist with implementation and evaluation of targeted programming and strategic initiatives within the Department, oversee and monitor internal performance data, conduct research and analyze data related to macro-economic trends, and produce insights and public facing reports. In this position, you will contribute directly to critical projects that foster inclusive economic recovery and growth, collaborate with colleagues and partners throughout the city, and produce high-quality deliverables that result in data-driven decision-making.
In this role, you will:
- Serve as the in-house expert for all database and workforce productivity tools
- Research, test, and select the right tools for the department to ensure staff has the ability to work productively, effectively, and collaboratively across units
- Work with the Office of Technology and Innovation to ensure end-to-end security and compliance with all commercial-off-the-shelf software
- Work with the Office of Technology to design and implement custom software solutions as needed
- Recommend and support process improvements across the Commerce floor
- Manage internal data related to the Department’s performance metrics
- Oversee database design and maintenance (QuickBase) to ensure a functional and integrated platform that meets the needs of each unit and the Department as a whole (possibly working with consultant)
- Produce quarterly Performance Dashboard and liaise with the Commerce Finance Unit to ensure timely submission of metrics
- Help develop and manage processes and reporting for the Business Response Team, the Quality Jobs Grant, and other programming and strategic initiatives
- Support the program development, process improvement, adoption of technological solutions, and other supports for key programs and strategic initiatives
- Identify measurable goals and outcomes (key performance indicators) and develop reports for Commerce and City leadership to show the value of these investments and to help guide decision making
- Research and analyze macro-economic data and produce reports for internal and external use
- Analyze Bureau of Labor Statistics data and produce quarterly reports that are easily digestible by a non-technical audience
- Respond to data requests from external stakeholders and the press via the Communications staff
- Provide data support to the Business Development team for pitches to businesses, grant applications, and other uses as necessary
- Manage the annual Subsidy Reporting requirement
- Oversee survey design and management
- Compile contact information across City agencies and ensure all necessary parties receive the form and related communications; ensure quality control and accuracy
- Analyze data and publish detailed report for City Council and the public in line with confidentiality guidelines
- Make improvements to the process as needed
- Collaborate with units on special projects such as First Source Reporting, Fair Chance Hiring Initiative, Annual Reports, and the OEO Availability Study.
Education and Experience
- Experienced in the field of data management, data analysis, information science, computer science, systems engineering, or closely related field.
- Excellent data management skills using software such as Excel, Access, QuickBase, or Salesforce.
- Ability to navigate public datasets from Census, Bureau of Labor Statistics, etc., and produce job and economic reports.
- Ability to dashboard information in Excel, QuickBase, Tableau, or similar platform.
- Experience with software development, computer programming, and/or coding
- Experience with project management
- Understanding of Lean, Six Sigma or other process improvement methods
Competencies, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Organized: Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects, estimate timelines, rework a project approach based on unforeseen challenges, work well under pressure, and set/meet reasonable deadlines.
- Action-oriented: Ability to see opportunities, navigate barriers, be self-directed, and problem solve solutions that enhance the City’s deliverables, processes, and practices.
- Excellent communicator: Ability to explain technical concepts to general audiences, explain the logic behind research decisions, craft compelling narratives about research design, write and speak clearly, and cultivate effective communication among team members.
- Rigorous: Driven by thoughtful, quality, and detail-oriented processes, project output, and client/team interactions.
- Resilient: Ability to have a sense of humor, learn from mistakes, and/or return to work after experiencing a setback.
Salary Range: $65,000-75,000
Please submit with your application a cover letter and resume. Applications without all required documents will not be considered.
Did you know?
- We are a Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program qualified employer
- Employees are eligible for a 25% tuition discount program (and sometimes spouses and dependents as well) in partnership with area colleges and universities
- We offer comprehensive health coverage for employees and their eligible dependents
- Our wellness program offers eligibility into the discounted medical plan
- Employees receive paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays
- Generous retirement savings options are available
Successful candidate must be a city of Philadelphia resident within six months of hire
The City of Philadelphia is an Equal Opportunity employer and does not permit discrimination based on race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, source of income, familial status, genetic information or domestic or sexual violence victim status. If you believe you were discriminated against, call the Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations at 215-686-4670 or send an email to [email protected] For more information, go to: Human Relations Website: http://www.phila.gov/humanrelations/Pages/default.aspx