Vision Zero Communications Manager
- 1401 John F Kennedy Blvd, Philadelphia, PA 19102, USA
A best-in-class city that attracts best-in-class talent, Philadelphia is an incredible place to build a career. From our thriving arts scene and rich history to our culture of passion and grit, there are countless reasons to love living and working here. With a workforce of over 30,000 people, and more than 1,000 different job categories, the City of Philadelphia offers boundless opportunities to make an impact.
As an employer, the City of Philadelphia values inclusion, integrity, innovation, empowerment, and hard work above all else. We offer a vibrant work environment, comprehensive health care and benefits, and the experience you need to grow and excel. If you’re interested in working with a passionate team of people who care about the future of Philadelphia, start here.
What We Offer:
Impact - The work you do here matters to millions.
Growth - Philadelphia is growing, why not grow with it?
Diversity & Inclusion - Find a career in a place where everyone belongs.
Opportunities in Tech - Don’t wait for the future, shape it.
Benefits - We care about your well being.
The Managing Director’s Office of Transportation, Infrastructure, and Sustainability (OTIS) is charged with driving change through our transportation and infrastructure systems. OTIS leads a portfolio of departments, including Streets Transportation, Streets Sanitation, Philadelphia Water Department (PWD), and the Office of Sustainability to provide cost-effective quality services with a focus on the resident. OTIS is also the lead agency for the planning, implementation and program management of the Indego Bike Share Program. OTIS collaborates with a wide variety organizations such as Amtrak, DVRPC, PATCO, PennDOT, and SEPTA.
Find out more here at www.phila.gov/otis.
OTIS is proud to chair Vision Zero, a mayoral initiative to eliminate traffic deaths on Philadelphia streets by 2030. Vision Zero provides a comprehensive framework to manage speeds—and end traffic deaths—on our city’s streets by focusing on equitable implementation of:
- Safe Speeds
- Safe Streets
- Safe People
- Safe Vehicles
- Safety Data
- Vision Zero for Youth
Find out more about Vision Zero at www.VisionZeroPHL.com
The primary duties of the Vision Zero Communications Manager are to manage the day-to-day Vision Zero communications for the Managing Director’s Office of Transportation, Infrastructure, and Sustainability (OTIS), ensuring that Vision Zero communications are comprehensive and follow the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHSTA) and Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) safety calendars.
Vision Zero communications management includes, but is not limited to:
Media relations and events
- Organize and represent OTIS and Vision Zero at press events with partner departments, agencies, and organizations;
- Organize and promote traffic safety events such as car seat checks and Operation Safe Stop;
- Build strong agency and community relationships and seek opportunities to create long-lasting, reciprocal, and open partnerships;
- Represent OTIS and the City of Philadelphia at local, regional and national safety conferences;
- Track, review, and report on media coverage for Vision Zero initiatives and campaigns;
Education and Public Service Announcement campaign management
- Serve as project manager for graphic design and ad purchase contracts related to Vision Zero educational campaigns;
- Manage evaluation contracts related to focus groups, surveying, and similar activities to determine effectiveness of Vision Zero education campaigns;
- Develop and review safety project and campaign related materials including one-pagers, talking points, presentations, and other related meeting and event materials;
- Conduct public outreach and liaise with community partners about traffic safety
- Manage social media strategy and implementation, in line with NTHSA safety calendars and Vision Zero initiatives.
- Develop social media toolkits for community and agency stakeholders;
- Develop web content, email marketing, newsletters, and other materials for Vision Zero and other local safety transportation messaging as needed;
- Analyze and create reports based on social media and ad campaign metrics;
- Manage Community Safety Traffic Safety Program grant activities and ensuring grant reporting is completed accurately and on-time;
This position is located in the Office of Complete Streets within OTIS and reports to the Deputy Director of Complete Streets. This is a grant-funded position.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing, or a related field
- 5+ years of experience in the field of communications
- Project management experience
- Experience organizing press events, including, but not limited to press conferences and media briefings
- Experience with website development and management
- Second language a plus
Competencies, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to develop press releases, media alerts, Q&A, talking points, and other media materials
- Ability to conduct outreach to diverse community groups and deliver public-facing presentations
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and meet tight deadlines
- Available to work nights and weekends as needed
- Excellent self-direction and the ability to take ownership and drive responsibilities through to completion
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Microsoft Office proficiencies
- Proficient in social media skills such as twitter, Facebook, and Instagram
- Proficient in the Adobe suite and Canva Ability to establish and foster relationships with cross-sector partners and to work as part of a collaborative team
Salary Range: $60,000 - $70,000
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and writing sample with your application. Applications without all required documents will not be considered.
Did you know?
- We are a Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program qualified employer
- Employees are eligible for a 25% tuition discount program (and sometimes spouses and dependents as well) in partnership with area colleges and universities
- We offer comprehensive health coverage for employees and their eligible dependents
- Our wellness program offers eligibility into the discounted medical plan
- Employees receive paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays
- Generous retirement savings options are available
Successful candidate must be a city of Philadelphia resident within six months of hire
The City of Philadelphia is an Equal Opportunity employer and does not permit discrimination based on race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, source of income, familial status, genetic information or domestic or sexual violence victim status. If you believe you were discriminated against, call the Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations at 215-686-4670 or send an email to [email protected] For more information, go to: Human Relations Website: http://www.phila.gov/humanrelations/Pages/default.aspx