Homeland Security Planning Coordinator
- 240 Spring Garden St, Philadelphia, PA 19123, USA
A best-in-class city that attracts best-in-class talent, Philadelphia is an incredible place to build a career. From our thriving arts scene and rich history to our culture of passion and grit, there are countless reasons to love living and working here. With a workforce of over 30,000 people, and more than 1,000 different job categories, the City of Philadelphia offers boundless opportunities to make an impact.
As an employer, the City of Philadelphia values inclusion, integrity, innovation, empowerment, and hard work above all else. We offer a vibrant work environment, comprehensive health care and benefits, and the experience you need to grow and excel. If you’re interested in working with a passionate team of people who care about the future of Philadelphia, start here.
What We Offer:
Impact - The work you do here matters to millions.
Growth - Philadelphia is growing, why not grow with it?
Diversity & Inclusion - Find a career in a place where everyone belongs.
Opportunities in Tech - Don’t wait for the future, shape it.
Benefits - We care about your well being.
The Managing Director’s Office of Emergency Management (MDO-OEM) is the coordinating agency for emergency management activities in the City of Philadelphia. Through an integrated emergency management program, MDO-OEM works to mitigate, plan, and prepare for emergencies; educate the public about preparedness; coordinate emergency response and recovery efforts; and develop tools and identify resources to support the overall preparedness of the City of Philadelphia.
MDO-OEM is seeking a Homeland Security Planning Coordinator to work closely with Philadelphia’s public safety partners. Under the direction of the Homeland Security Program Manager, the selected applicant will be responsible for developing Incident Action Plans, providing analysis of public safety activities such as special events, and implementing risk mitigation strategies. Candidates for this position should possess a strong desire to work in a team-oriented, fast-paced, professional public safety environment, and a willingness to serve the public in the fifth-largest city in the nation. The successful candidate for this position will assist with the development, strategic planning, implementation, and evaluation of an integrated program to support the preparedness for and response to emergency incidents in Philadelphia.
Homeland security planning is a critical component of public safety operations. The Homeland Security Planning Coordinator is responsible for a range of activities including, but not limited to, the following:
- Developing plans and providing assistance in the development of security protocols, guidelines and policies that promote interoperability, situational awareness, and common operating protocols.
- Participating in the planning, operations and assessment of large special events or mass gatherings.
- Coordinating and collaborating with federal, regional, state and local Homeland Security officials regarding security initiatives and emergency management programs.
- Furthering the development of and maintaining the City’s critical infrastructure compendium.
- Developing and maintaining partnerships with a variety of stakeholders from local, state and federal government as well as community-based organizations, non-profit organizations and private entities.
- Successful completion of required courses to gain working knowledge of emergency planning and security procedures and best practices, familiarization with primary stakeholders, and other fundamentals of the practice of emergency
- Performing other work as required.
Education and Experience
- Completion of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college in planning, management, policy, public administration, homeland security, criminal justice or related field.
- Prior experience with the development and implementation of operational strategies and plans related to homeland security initiatives.
- Experience working within an emergency management agency, is preferred, but not required.
- Familiarity with the City of Philadelphia is preferred, but not required.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience in a related field will be considered pending approval by MDO-OEM.
Competencies, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal, leadership, and negotiation skills.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships and develop partnerships.
- Ability to coordinate diverse groups toward a common goal.
- Ability to interpret federal and state emergency management requirements and regulations.
- Knowledge of basic government accounting, management, and procurement procedures is preferred.
- General experience in planning and policy development is preferred.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Access).
- All OEM personnel are required to serve in an on-call capacity and are required to work during non-business hours for extended periods of time in a field environment and during activations of Philadelphia’s Emergency Operations Center (EOC). This is generally for a period of one week per month, however, during major emergencies, disasters, or special events, employees will be required to work additional hours, not only when on-call.
- Possession of a valid proper class driver’s license issued by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania within six months of hire.
- Ability to physically perform the duties and work in the environmental conditions required of this position.
- Completion of mandatory training requirements within 3 months of hire.
- Ability to obtain a security clearance.
Salary Range: $59,000 - $62,000
Please submit a cover letter, resume, writing sample and reference list with your application. Applications without all documents will not be considered.
Did you know?
- We are a Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program qualified employer
- Employees are eligible for a 25% tuition discount program (and sometimes spouses and dependents as well) in partnership with area colleges and universities
- We offer comprehensive health coverage for employees and their eligible dependents
- Our wellness program offers eligibility into the discounted medical plan
- Employees receive paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays
- Generous retirement savings options are available
Successful candidate must be a city of Philadelphia resident within six months of hire
The City of Philadelphia is an Equal Opportunity employer and does not permit discrimination based on race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, source of income, familial status, genetic information or domestic or sexual violence victim status. If you believe you were discriminated against, call the Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations at 215-686-4670 or send an email to [email protected] For more information, go to: Human Relations Website: http://www.phila.gov/humanrelations/Pages/default.aspx