Digital Communications Manager
- 1515 Arch St, Philadelphia, PA 19102, USA
With a workforce of over 30,000 people, and opportunities in more than 1,000 different job categories, the City of Philadelphia is the fifth largest city in the United States and one of the largest employers in Southeastern Pennsylvania. As an employer, the City of Philadelphia operates through the guiding principles of service, integrity, respect, accountability, collaboration, diversity and inclusion. Through these principles, we strive to effectively deliver services, to resolve the challenges facing our city, and to make Philadelphia a place where all of our residents have the opportunity to reach their potential.
The mission of the Department of Commerce is to ensure that Philadelphia is a globally competitive city to which employers flock, entrepreneurs thrive and innovation abounds; to recruit and retain a diverse set of businesses; to foster economic opportunities for all Philadelphians in all neighborhoods; and to partner with workforce development programs and local businesses on talent development ensuring that all Philadelphians can find and retain living-wage jobs. For more information about the Department of Commerce, visit www.phila.gov/commerce.
The Digital Communications Manager leads the development and implementation of strategies that communicate the City’s business services and information to the public, as well as enhances the public’s perception of the importance of the Department of Commerce by demonstrating the value and services we provide to businesses in Philadelphia. This position reports to the Department’s Director of Communications.
- Manage all aspects of digital communication for the Department of Commerce, including the following web properties:
- Manage day-to-day social media efforts highlighting programs available from the Department of Commerce and City of Philadelphia. Platforms include:
- Highlight efforts of the Department of Commerce and available programs through blog writing/planning and proactive newsletter communications from concept to completion for various units within Commerce.
- Plan and execute an editorial calendar for Commerce-produced content.
- Develop or help manage email campaigns, including implementation, list management and data analysis.
- Utilize strong project management skills to track and deliver projects on time.
- Manage print collateral for all units within the Department including but not limited to: design/produce collateral as needed; content management schedule; manage relationships with design/communications consultants for branding or other collateral production work.
- Lead layout and design efforts for annual reports and other print projects as needed.
- Participate in various marketing efforts including earned media initiatives and represent the Department of Commerce at various press conferences, speaking engagements, special events and other opportunities, as assigned.
- Research suitable marketing opportunities for the Philadelphia market.
- Maintain working knowledge of relevant departmental initiatives, industry trends and departmental services offered.
- Assist staff throughout the department in the execution of their responsibilities through communications project oversight and management.
- Coordinate communications and marketing with economic development partners.
- Draft talking points, statements, and other written work product as needed.
- Assist with media relations on an as needed basis.
- Support internal communications efforts.
Competencies, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- An ability to articulate and clearly communicate complex issues in a simple, logical and impactful manner.
- Proficiency and experience using WordPress and HTML/CSS.
- Experience with Constant Contact, MailChimp and other email distribution platforms.
- Expertise in creating written and visual content for the following social media platforms: Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
- Basic levels of graphic design experience for print and digital media – can be based on use of free platforms such as Canva.
- Experience creating visual presentations/pitch decks.
- Working knowledge of all Microsoft Office programs.
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to handle simultaneous priority projects and meet established deadlines.
- Ability to establish and foster relationships with cross-sector partners and to work as part of a collaborative team.
- Excellent self-direction, follow-through and ability to take ownership of given responsibilities.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and tasks at once and prioritize as needed.
- Basic knowledge of City, State and Federal economic development programs.
Supplemental Skills and Abilities (Preferred, but not Required)
- Proficiency with the Adobe Creative Suite.
- Photography or other multi-media skills.
- Research and data analysis skills.
- Multilingual language skills.
Education and Experience Requirements
- 3-5 years of experience in digital content management, communications, marketing, or related fields.
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Public Relations, Communications, Journalism, or a related field.
Please submit a resume and cover letter with your application.
Finalists will be asked to complete a writing assignment.
The City of Philadelphia is an Equal Opportunity employer and does not permit discrimination based on race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, source of income, familial status, genetic information or domestic or sexual violence victim status. If you believe you were discriminated against, call the Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations at 215-686-4670 or send an email to [email protected] phila.gov. For more information, go to: Human Relations Website: http://www.phila.gov/humanrelations/Pages/default.aspx