Communications Manager - Vision Zero
- 1401 John F Kennedy Blvd, Philadelphia, PA 19102, USA
With a workforce of over 30,000 people, and opportunities in more than 1,000 different job categories, the City of Philadelphia is the sixth largest city in the United States and one of the largest employers in Southeastern Pennsylvania. As an employer, the City of Philadelphia operates through the guiding principles of service, integrity, respect, accountability, collaboration, diversity and inclusion. Through these principles, we strive to effectively deliver services, to resolve the challenges facing our city, and to make Philadelphia a place where all of our residents have the opportunity to reach their potential.
The Managing Director’s Office of Transportation, Infrastructure, and Sustainability (oTIS) is charged with driving change through our transportation and infrastructure systems. oTIS leads a portfolio of departments, including Streets Transportation, Streets Sanitation, Philadelphia Water Department (PWD), and the Office of Sustainability to provide cost-effective quality services with a focus on the resident. oTIS is also the lead agency for the planning, implementation and program management of the Indego Bike Share Program. oTIS collaborates with a wide variety of organizations such as Amtrak, DVRPC, PATCO, PennDOT, and SEPTA.
Find out more here at www.phila.gov/otis.
oTIS is proud to chair Vision Zero, a mayoral initiative to eliminate traffic deaths on Philadelphia streets by 2030. Vision Zero provides a comprehensive framework to manage speeds—and end traffic deaths—on our city’s streets by focusing on equitable implementation of:
- Education; and
Find out more about Vision Zero at www.VisionZeroPHL.com.
The primary duties of the Vision Zero Communications Manager are to manage the day-to-day Vision Zero communications for the Managing Director’s Office of Transportation, Infrastructure, and Sustainability (OTIS), ensuring that Vision Zero communications are comprehensive and follow the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHSTA) and Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) safety calendars. Vision Zero communications management includes, but is not limited to:
Media relations and events
- Organize and represent OTIS and Vision Zero at press events with partner departments, agencies, and organizations;
- Organize and promote safety events such as car seat checks and Operation Safe Stop;
- Build strong agency and community relationships and seek opportunities to create long-lasting, reciprocal, and open partnerships;
- Represent OTIS and the City of Philadelphia at local, regional and national safety conferences;
- Track, review, and report on media coverage for Vision Zero initiatives and campaigns;
Education and Public Service Announcement campaign management
- Serve as project manager for graphic design and ad purchase contracts related to Vision Zero educational campaigns;
- Manage evaluation contracts related to focus groups, surveying, and similar activities to determine effectiveness of Vision Zero education campaigns;
- Develop and review safety project and campaign-related materials including one-pagers, talking points, presentations, and other related meeting and event materials
- Manage social media strategy and implementation, in line with NTHSA safety calendars and Vision Zero initiatives.
- Develop social media toolkits for community and agency stakeholders;
- Develop web content, email marketing, newsletters, and other materials for Vision Zero and other local safety transportation messaging as needed;
- Analyze and create reports based on social media and ad campaign metrics;
- Manage Community Safety Traffic Safety Program grant activities and ensuring grant reporting is completed accurately and on-time;
This position is located in the Office of Complete Streets within oTIS and reports to the Deputy Director of Complete Streets. This is a grant-funded position.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing, or a related field
- 5+ years of experience in the field of communications
- Project management experience
- Ability to develop press releases, media alerts, Q&A, talking points, and other media materials
- Experience organizing press events, including, but not limited to press conferences and media briefings
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and meet tight deadlines
- Available to work nights and weekends as needed
- Excellent self-direction and the ability to take ownership and drive responsibilities through to completion
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Microsoft Office proficiencies
- Proficient in social media skills such as twitter, Facebook, and Instagram
- Proficient in the Adobe suite and graphic design skills
- Ability to establish and foster relationships with cross-sector partners and to work as part of a collaborative team
Salary Range: $60,000 - 70,000
What We Offer:
- We are a Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program qualified employer
- 25% tuition discount program for City employees (and sometimes spouses and dependents as well) in partnership with area colleges and universities
- Comprehensive health coverage for employees and their eligible dependents
- A wellness program that offers eligibility into the discounted medical plan
- Paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays
- Generous retirement savings options
Successful candidate must be a city of Philadelphia resident within six months of hire
The City of Philadelphia is an Equal Opportunity employer and does not permit discrimination based on race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, source of income, familial status, genetic information or domestic or sexual violence victim status. If you believe you were discriminated against, call the Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations at 215-686-4670 or send an email to [email protected] For more information, go to: Human Relations Website: http://www.phila.gov/humanrelations/Pages/default.aspx