Senior Associate — Finance, Policy, and Data
- 1401 John F Kennedy Blvd, Philadelphia, PA 19102, USA
With a workforce of over 30,000 people, and opportunities in more than 1,000 different job categories, the City of Philadelphia is the sixth largest city in the United States and one of the largest employers in Southeastern Pennsylvania. As an employer, the City of Philadelphia operates through the guiding principles of service, integrity, respect, accountability, collaboration, diversity and inclusion. Through these principles, we strive to effectively deliver services, to resolve the challenges facing our city, and to make Philadelphia a place where all of our residents have the opportunity to reach their potential.
The Office of the Philadelphia City Controller is the independent watchdog agency of the City of Philadelphia that strives to promote honest, efficient, effective, and fully accountable city government. We address this mission by: providing timely and objective analysis on the availability of funds for all city contracts; preventing inappropriate spending of public funds; and providing objective, timely, and relevant information to city officials, the public, and other interested parties about financial operations of the city, and on ways to improve city operations and the use of public resources.
To learn more about the office, visit https://controller.phila.gov
The Office of the Controller is seeking candidates for the role of Senior Associate in Finance, Policy, and Data. The Finance, Policy, and Data team focuses on critical issues relating to Philadelphia’s fiscal health, service delivery, and policymaking. The individual in this position will research policy issues, undertake necessary quantitative analysis, and co-author policy papers on a variety of subjects such as the efficacy of tax incentive programs. The Senior Associate will support the Director of Finance, Policy, and Data by conducting research on economic literature, market conditions, and the fiscal policies of Philadelphia’s peer cities. Additionally, the Senior Associate will be responsible for regular analysis of the City’s pension and budget, including but not limited to statistical projections of expenditures and revenues based on existing data.
Duties and Responsibilies
- Lead and conduct fiscal policy research.
- Conduct quantitative analysis of cash flows, portfolio returns, and financial data. Analysis includes revenue projections and multivariate regression.
- Evaluate academic literature, economic data, and relevant government reports.
- Participate in writing policy papers, issue briefs, and background memos.
- Perform analysis of policy proposals and participate in new policy design efforts.
Education and Experience
- A bachelor’s degree in economics, statistics, or political science, with a focus on quantitative analysis.
- At least one year of related work experience is recommended, along with demonstrated knowledge of various research methods.
- Candidates must have significant knowledge of, and interest in, municipal finance, public policy, and economics and a demonstrated ability to work under tight deadlines.
- Candidates with a research background in economics, policy, and/or finance are encouraged to apply.
- Strong quantitative skills, including a proven ability to manipulate large amounts of data, are required. Knowledge of Python, R, Stata, or similar software for data manipulation and analysis is preferred.
- Strong writing skills are required, especially the ability to communicate policy ideas and legislative proposals concisely and effectively to a diverse range of audiences.
- Knowledge of investments and/or portfolio management is preferred.
What We Offer:
- We are a Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program qualified employer
- 25% tuition discount program for City employees (and sometimes spouses and dependents as well) in partnership with area colleges and universities
- Comprehensive health coverage for employees and their eligible dependents
- A wellness program that offers eligibility into the discounted medical plan
- Paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays
- Generous retirement savings options
Successful candidate must be a city of Philadelphia resident within six months of hire
The City of Philadelphia is an Equal Opportunity employer and does not permit discrimination based on race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, source of income, familial status, genetic information or domestic or sexual violence victim status. If you believe you were discriminated against, call the Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations at 215-686-4670 or send an email to [email protected] For more information, go to: Human Relations Website: http://www.phila.gov/humanrelations/Pages/default.aspx