Business Services Manager - (English/Spanish Bilingual)
- 1515 Arch St, Philadelphia, PA 19102, USA
With a workforce of over 30,000 people, and opportunities in more than 1,000 different job categories, the City of Philadelphia is the fifth largest city in the United States and one of the largest employers in Southeastern Pennsylvania. As an employer, the City of Philadelphia operates through the guiding principles of service, integrity, respect, accountability, collaboration, diversity and inclusion. Through these principles, we strive to effectively deliver services, to resolve the challenges facing our city, and to make Philadelphia a place where all our residents have the opportunity to reach their potential.
The mission of the Department of Commerce is to ensure that Philadelphia is a globally competitive city to which employers flock, entrepreneurs thrive, and innovation abounds; to recruit and retain a diverse set of businesses; to foster economic opportunities for all Philadelphians in all neighborhoods; and to partner with workforce development programs and local businesses on talent development ensuring that all Philadelphians can find and retain living-wage jobs.
The Office of Business Services (OBS) is a customer service driven provider of rich information to business owners. We help business owners navigate the many resources of the City of Philadelphia.
The Department of Commerce’s Office of Business Services is the first line of contact for Philadelphia business owners and entrepreneurs. Business Services Managers provide outreach and education to small businesses throughout Philadelphia. They work one on one to help business persons navigate City systems and connect to financial and technical assistance resources. Business Services Managers also work to build organizational capacity with business associations and community organizations to revitalize neighborhood commercial districts. Our team of ten is geographically assigned and offers services in multiple languages (through bilingual staff or 3rd party translators as needed).
We are currently seeking a bilingual Business Services Manager who will focus on supporting businesses in North Philadelphia and Spanish-speaking businesses throughout the city.
- Outreach and communication with business owners within the assigned North Philadelphia geography and with Spanish-speaking business owners citywide.
- Establish relationships with existing businesses, Business Associations, and Community Development Corporations to assess needs in the assigned geography.
- Learn and articulate the steps toward opening a business, regulations around permits and licenses, and other issues common to businesses operating in Philadelphia.
- Represent business concerns to other City agencies/departments and persevere to a communicated resolution.
- Answer and provide assistance to incoming callers through the Department’s “Customer Service Line” and respond to our business emails.
- Record and maintain business contacts and cases in the department database
- Clearly articulate and identify training, technical assistance, and funding sources for existing and new businesses.
- Be able to represent the Office of Business Services in English and Spanish through public speaking engagements, presentations, and workshops.
- Work closely with other units within Commerce and other City departments to assist in implementation of neighborhood improvements or to find solutions to issues.
- Contribute to the goals of the Department through creative initiatives that spur economic growth and community vitality.
- Preparing reports and project presentations using all appropriate software.
- Night and weekend work may be required.
- Fluency in Spanish, writing, reading, and speaking
- Relevant Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience working with small business owners
- Must have a valid driver’s license from the State of Pennsylvania.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of small business operations. 2-5 years of experience working with small business owners preferable.
- Knowledge of private agencies that service the business community through funding, technical support and other resources, i.e. banks, CDFIs, Small Business Development Centers, neighborhood nonprofits, etc.
- Knowledge of City, State and Federal economic development programs and best practices.
- Strong interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to work with ethnically and economically diverse populations.
- Ability to write concisely and persuasively in plain everyday language.
- Candidates must be energetic, well organized, flexible and convey a positive attitude and strong work ethic.
- Ability to get things done efficiently and quickly. Strong time management and organizational skills, including attention to detail and abilities to prioritize tasks and keep multiple tasks moving simultaneously.
Please include cover letter and resume with application. A Spanish test will be given to all candidates in consideration.
Successful candidate must be a city of Philadelphia resident within six months of hire.
- Comprehensive health coverage
- Defined benefit pension plan
- 25% tuition discount program for City employees (and sometimes spouses and dependents as well) in partnership with area colleges and universities.
- Paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays
- The City of Philadelphia is a Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program qualified employer
The City of Philadelphia is an Equal Opportunity employer and does not permit discrimination based on race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, source of income, familial status, genetic information or domestic or sexual violence victim status. If you believe you were discriminated against, call the Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations at 215-686-4670. For more information, go to: Human Relations Website: http://www.phila.gov/humanrelations/Pages/default.aspx