Citywide Civic Engagement Manager
With a workforce of over 30,000 people, and opportunities in more than 1,000 different job categories, the City of Philadelphia is the fifth largest city in the United States and one of the largest employers in Southeastern Pennsylvania. As an employer, the City of Philadelphia operates through the guiding principles of service, integrity, respect, accountability, collaboration, diversity and inclusion. Through these principles, we strive to effectively deliver services, to resolve the challenges facing our city, and to make Philadelphia a place where all our residents have the opportunity to reach their potential.
The Office of Civic Engagement and Volunteer Service (OCEVS) is committed to increasing long term, sustainable civic engagement throughout the city. To support this goal, we offer a variety of training opportunities for community members, nonprofit partners and City agencies. In addition, we support internal and cross-sector convening and collaboration to reduce silos and increase efficiency and efficacy of engagement and volunteer programs and tactics. OCEVS is housed within the Mayor’s Office of Public Engagement (OPE).
The Citywide Civic Engagement Manager will work within the Office of Civic Engagement and Volunteer Service to support the data needs of City departments conducting civic and community engagement through the implementation of customized system solutions using the Voter Access Network (VAN). The Citywide Civic Engagement Manager will work with department leadership to understand their data needs to create coding structures and procedures in VAN for use in service coordination and delivery, metrics tracking, and analysis. In addition, this person will manage the City Engagement Initiative. The Citywide Civic Engagement Manager will be responsible for mapping all civic engagement activities in City agencies, identifying opportunities for collaboration and supporting departments who need help planning and executing engagement programs. This person will also be responsible for identifying training needs and creating and delivering training to diverse groups of City employees and external stakeholders.In addition, this person will support the management of data tracking for the Mayor’s Office of Civic Engagement and Volunteer Service and the Mayor’s Office of Public Engagement.
The duties of the Citywide Civic Engagement Manager include:
- Lead assessment of City departments’ data tracking needs and development of customized solutions within the VAN system to address those needs.
- Develop and implement a Citywide strategy that uses data and training to inform engagement best practices.
- Create and deliver training for City staff and external stakeholders.
- Configure Voter Access Network to support the data collection needs of all departments participating in civic or community engagement.
- Support City engagement efforts and working groups.
- Collaborate with cross departmental and sector groups to find innovative solutions to increased impactful civic engagement.
- Communicate procedures and expectations, including continuing education, with VAN users.
- Conduct regular meetings convening cross-departmental VAN users for collaborative learning.
- Implement monitoring and feedback systems to ensure adherence to Citywide data quality standards.
- Coordinate solutions to connect VAN with other engagement systems.
- Provide ongoing support to system users across departments.
- Communicate with VAN tech support to address any system issues.
- Provide consistent reports on work product and progress to Mayor’s Office
- Manage data tracking and analysis for the Mayor’s Office of Civic Engagement and Volunteer Service and the Mayor’s Office of Public Engagement.
- Bachelor’s degree is required
- At least one years’ experience administering NGP VAN
- 3-5 years experience in government, non-profit or campaigns
Competencies, Knowledge, Skills and Abilitie
- Demonstrated expertise in NGP VAN
- Experience creating customized system solutions for public sector
- Knowledge of City government
- Project management experience
- Data management and technical analysis skills
- Training creation and presentation
- Business writing and documentation
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Communication and interpersonal skills
- Coalition building
- Experience writing and executing strategic plan
Please provide a cover letter and resume.
The successful candidate must reside in the City of Philadelphia or establish primary residence in the City of Philadelphia within six months of employment.
The City of Philadelphia is an Equal Opportunity employer and does not permit discrimination based on race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, source of income, familial status, genetic information or domestic or sexual violence victim status. If you believe you were discriminated against, call the Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations at 215-686-4670 or send an email to [email protected] phila.gov. For more information, go to: Human Relations Website: http://www.phila.gov/humanrelations/Pages/default.aspx