- 1101 Market St, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
With a workforce of over 25,000 people, and opportunities in more than 1,000 different job categories, the City of Philadelphia is the fifth largest city in the United States and one of the largest employers in Southeastern Pennsylvania. As an employer, the City of Philadelphia operates through the guiding principles of service, integrity, respect, accountability, collaboration, diversity and inclusion. Through these principles, we strive to effectively deliver services, to resolve the challenges facing our city, and to make Philadelphia a place where all of our residents have the opportunity to reach their potential.
The Philadelphia Water Department (PWD) is the agency responsible for managing the water, wastewater and storm water infrastructure for the City of Philadelphia.
The primary responsibility of this position is application development for the Philadelphia Water, City of Philadelphia using Microsoft .Net framework. This includes designing, developing and maintaining mobile, web and desktop applications to support PWD business processes.
• Responsible for the development of applications (web and otherwise) in .NET to support PWD Business processes.
• Responsible for the design of relational databases including organizing the information in tables, setting up primary keys and foreign keys and table relationships, create views, functions and stored procedures.
• Develop Mobile GIS enabled web applications using newer technologies such as MVC, Bootstrap, Angular JS and ESRI framework.
• Develop and maintain interfaces to COTS solutions such as Maximo, Cityworks and CIPIT.
• Work closely with clients to develop technical requirements to meet their business needs as well as with system support staff to identify technical requirements, including connectivity, resources and other platform requirements.
• Help coordinate the implementation of short- and long-term projects, objectives, policies and procedures for the production and maintenance of all application development related issues.
• Follow SDLC methodology including requirements gathering, solution architecture, coding, and testing.
• Follow best practices and industry standards to develop .NET applications.
• Review code and high-level designs by other team members to ensure that strategic objectives and business needs are met.
• Proactively identify application inefficiencies and propose solutions.
• Identify, create, and maintain development frameworks and code libraries. Create prototypes and functional specifications for application development projects.
• Other duties as assigned.
Competencies, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Apply web application development standards and best practices
• Understand application architecture
• Work under tight deadlines and reliably deliver work of the highest standards on time
• Solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
• Interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form and communicate them visually.
• Web standards, design fundamentals, browser compatibility issues for all operating systems
Visual Studio (2008 ,2010,2012 and 2015)
Microsoft SQL Server (2008,2014)
Application Lifecycle Management
RESTful Web Services
Object Oriented Programming
Active Directory Authentication/Authorization
Completion of a Bachelor’s degree program at an accredited college or university, which has
included major course work in Computer Science, information science, systems analysis or
• 5+ years of experience developing excellent solutions using Microsoft technologies
• Strong experience with CSS2 and CSS3
• Strong experience with JQuery, MVC, Angular JS
• Experience developing web services
• Experience with the Microsoft .Net framework
• Experience with enterprise relational databases such as Microsoft SQL Server and or Oracle
• Knowledge of GIT is preferred
Please submit cover along with resume.
Successful candidate must be a City resident within six months of hire.
The City of Philadelphia is an Equal Opportunity employer and does not permit discrimination based on race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age,disability, marital status, source of income, familial status, genetic information or domestic or sexual violence victim status. If you believe you were discriminated against, call the Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations at 215-686-4670 or send an email to For more information, go to: Human Relations Website at: http://www.phila.gov/humanrelations