Director of Business Development: Innovation and Technology
- Philadelphia, PA
With a workforce of over 30,000 people, and opportunities in more than 1,000 different job categories, the City of Philadelphia is the fifth largest city in the United States and one of the largest employers in Southeastern Pennsylvania. As an employer, the City of Philadelphia operates through the guiding principles of service, integrity, respect, accountability, collaboration, diversity and inclusion. Through these principles, we strive to effectively deliver services, to resolve the challenges facing our city, and to make Philadelphia a place where all of our residents have the opportunity to reach their potential.
The mission of the Department of Commerce is to ensure that Philadelphia is a globally competitive city to which employer’s flocks, entrepreneurs thrive and innovation abounds; to recruit and retain a diverse set of businesses; to foster economic opportunities for all Philadelphians in all neighborhoods; and to partner with workforce development programs and local businesses on talent development ensuring that all Philadelphians can find and retain living-wage jobs.
The Director of Business Development: Innovation and Technology is responsible for attracting startup and tech companies to Philadelphia, conceiving of and implementing strategies for growing Philadelphia’s startup eco-system, retaining existing startup and tech companies, and playing a lead role in convening and representing the Innovation and Tech community in Philadelphia. This role reports to the Senior Director of Business Development and is a core member of the Business Development team. The Director of Business Development, Innovation and Technology will work closely with Business Development peers and will regularly enlist support for attraction and sector promotion efforts.
The Director of Business Development: Innovation and Technology is responsible for a portfolio of specific projects including:
• Managing a pipeline of new entrepreneurial business attraction/retention leads, focusing on startups and technology based commercial clients; documenting progress in Project Management database.
• Establishing a leadership role in coordination with other economic development partners to develop a diverse workforce that will be a key driver in Philadelphia’s vibrant and growing tech community.
• Maintaining working knowledge of industry trends, targeted business assistance opportunities, and financing/incentive programs appropriate to business sectors served.
• Fostering and growing relationships with key companies in the Tech and Innovation community that contribute to ecosystem locally and regionally.
• Working closely with government officials and economic development partners at local/state/federal levels to secure resources/information appropriate to each business client.
• Collaborating with economic development partners to establish access to venture capital and early stage funding for business startups.
• Developing and growing strategic partnerships with local startup and tech affinity groups, co-working spaces, incubators, accelerators, investors, etc.
• Collaborating with Commerce’s Communication Team to coordinate the direct messaging of StartupPHL programming, Call for Ideas, and related marketing initiatives for this sector, including the compilation of a regular newsletter.
• Leading the development and implementation of StartupPHL programming, the initiative support the startup community.
• Convening a Startup Advisory Group to meet regularly and inform the City’s role in this sector.
• Representing the Department of Commerce at various trade shows, speaking engagements, special events and other marketing opportunities, as assigned.
Typical Examples of Work:
• Research prospects to determine suitable opportunities for the Philadelphia market.
• Meet with existing and prospective businesses to review ideas and concepts for business development.
• Assist existing businesses with City processes and access to resources to better ensure retention and expansion.
• Serve as a key City liaison to partners in the Startup and tech community.
• Draft presentation decks, talking points, statements and other written work product as needed.
• Conduct research, identify opportunities and develop a multi-year strategy for business attraction and retention in the Startup and tech sectors.
• Lead calls and appointment setting.
• Assist the leadership of the Business Development team as needed as well as working collaboratively with all other members of the Commerce team.
Competencies, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Diplomacy and ability to facilitate problem resolution
• Microsoft Office and communication design proficiency
• Management of projects from initiation to completion with documented outcomes
• 2 + years of demonstrated experience working in a technology venture or with the tech community
• 5+ years of experience in public sector economic development
• Graduate Degree in Business or related field preferred
Successful candidate must be a City of Philadelphia resident within six months of hire
Please apply by August 24, 2017.
The City of Philadelphia is an Equal Opportunity employer and does not permit discrimination based on race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, source of income, familial status, genetic information or domestic or sexual violence victim status. If you believe you were discriminated against, call the Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations at 215-686-4670. For more information, go to Human Relations Website at: http://www.phila.gov/humanrelations.
The successful candidate must reside in the City of Philadelphia or establish primary residence in the City of Philadelphia within six months of employment.